• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

solid axle swap

FordRanger89

05/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Why not use leaf springs? I have them on mine. They work fine. Granted it is a CAD axle minus the CAD part of it and a full axle. Good enough for what I do with it. Not all Dana 30 axles are setup as coil srung axles. They went coils after 97 and were Leafs from 95 and down. Yeah the truck is set up as coils but it isn't hard to make it leafs either.
You are mistaken about the HP 30's found under jeeps. The 97 and up wranglers (YJ) that have the Dana 30 are not HP (high pinion) axles they are low pinion axles. The high pinion axles are found under Cherokees (XJ) and are sometimes harder to aquire. All 97 and up Dana 30's do not have the CAD (Central Axle Disconnect) System.
Your right about that, and there is nothing wrong with leaf springs. But his original question was, "What's the easiest way to put a jeep front solid axle in.?" Do you not think coils would be the easiest route? Finding a 97 and up Dana 30 and putting it under his ranger requires a lot less work than doing leaf springs. That was my only point.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You still have the arms to make. Either way isn't that hard if you can just do the work. The leafs I have which came from the YJ are very flexy and do quite well with my 88.

rawrrediffer86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why not use leaf springs? I have them on mine. They work fine. Granted it is a CAD axle minus the CAD part of it and a full axle. Good enough for what I do with it. Not all Dana 30 axles are setup as coil srung axles. They went coils after 97 and were Leafs from 95 and down. Yeah the truck is set up as coils but it isn't hard to make it leafs either.
You are mistaken about the HP 30's found under jeeps. The 97 and up wranglers (YJ) that have the Dana 30 are not HP (high pinion) axles they are low pinion axles. The high pinion axles are found under Cherokees (XJ) and are sometimes harder to aquire. All 97 and up Dana 30's do not have the CAD (Central Axle Disconnect) System.
id rather just solid axle ttb not a fan. & also to all you haters out there shut it get one of my buddies to do it well im trying to learn to do it myself im a female "& i would like to know cause i have a cheerokee sport front axle sitting in the bone yard i work at. I was just figuring id ask & you could give me info instead of sitting on my ass all day & reading i can just check when im at work, so calm your damn boners. & stop being dueches. rawrr!

rawrrediffer86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
there really is not a easy way just search around this forum and you will find
( ALOT OF INFO!!! ) Unless your pockets are full you could take it to a shop!
thank you. you were the only one that was actually helpful. i appeciate it. i cant ask one question with out getting reamed out for it. i thought these forums were here to help & ASK QUESTIONS, but i guess i was wrong...

rawrrediffer86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

rawrrediffer86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There is no "easy" way to Straight axle a ranger.

The point that you had to ASK that question simply states you are not ready to undertake the task. I would find a comfy chair, and sit down and read, read, and while you're at it, read some more. THEN, when you think you understand the complexities of setting up a properly built suspension, go out to the garage and learn to weld ( or get one of you buddies to for you ).

You can't just jump on a forum and ask a VERY basic question about a complex modification. That's like asking a carpenter how to build a house.
look dude. wasnt trying to start something was just asking a question. dont get all gunho & freak out at some one for posting a question these are what these forums are for. jeeze. thank you tho for you in put & ill make sure to get one of my buddies to do it for me. i know how to weld. i build demo cars for gosh sake. so get the foot out of your ass. & have some respect let alone to a female. please & thank you. have a nice day :)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
look dude. wasnt trying to start something was just asking a question. dont get all gunho & freak out at some one for posting a question these are what these forums are for. jeeze. thank you tho for you in put & ill make sure to get one of my buddies to do it for me. i know how to weld. i build demo cars for gosh sake. so get the foot out of your ass. & have some respect let alone to a female. please & thank you. have a nice day :)
You need to have some respect too.

Besides that witty comebacks lose their punch 2 months after the first comment was made. I was about ready to pull out the "open the tailgate and throw it in" card out again until I realized this was an old thread and I had already done it. :dntknw:

I agree with Brinker's comment, it wasn't intended as a slam it is a fact. If you have to ask how to do it you have a ton of research to do before you are ready to redesign the front suspension and steering under your truck. IIRC there are a couple articles in the tech library now that I think of it too.

The more you know about it going in, the better it will come out. :icon_thumby:

It is a really common thing for new users to ask really simple questions about really complex projects (axle swaps and engine swaps are probably the most common) and it does get kind of annoying after awhile, check out how many SAS questions are in this section.

Also, if you click the "+ button rather than the "quote" button as you go down the line on posts you want to quote you can get them all in one post rather than doing multiple posts replying to them one at a time. Do click the "quote" button on the last one though. It took me awhile to figure that out. :icon_twisted:

Last edited:

rawrrediffer86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You need to have some respect too.

Besides that witty comebacks lose their punch 2 months after the first comment was made. I was about ready to pull out the "open the tailgate and throw it in" card out again until I realized this was an old thread and I had already done it. :dntknw:

I agree with Brinker's comment, it wasn't intended as a slam it is a fact. If you have to ask how to do it you have a ton of research to do before you are ready to redesign the front suspension and steering under your truck. IIRC there are a couple articles in the tech library now that I think of it too.

The more you know about it going in, the better it will come out. :icon_thumby:

It is a really common thing for new users to ask really simple questions about really complex projects (axle swaps and engine swaps are probably the most common) and it does get kind of annoying after awhile, check out how many SAS questions are in this section.

Also, if you click the "+ button rather than the "quote" button as you go down the line on posts you want to quote you can get them all in one post rather than doing multiple posts replying to them one at a time. Do click the "quote" button on the last one though. It took me awhile to figure that out. :icon_twisted:
thank you for the advice. i just am really sick of people just throwing it back at me cause i asked a question i wasnt really looking how to do it. i was looking for different ways too & what people recommend so that i can take the time & research it more indept then research five different ways if that makes any sense?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thank you for the advice. i just am really sick of people just throwing it back at me cause i asked a question i wasnt really looking how to do it. i was looking for different ways too & what people recommend so that i can take the time & research it more indept then research five different ways if that makes any sense?
If you want to see a bunch of ways to do something, just do a search. People don't usually hold back about if they didn't like how something came out afterwards and others will for sure chime in. Basically that is how I did my 302 swap, look at other's swaps and see what I liked and didn't like.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1828988&photoplog_searchinfo=1&photoplog_searchquery=d30+swap

Last edited:

rawrrediffer86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
It's not even as strong as the D35. It's going backwards in almost every way imaginable.
The ring gear is mildly weaker the correct HP D30 with 297x ujoints has the same amount of strength in the shafts, better hubs and a mildy weaker ring gear...not exactly splitting hairs here.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
id rather just solid axle ttb not a fan. & also to all you haters out there shut it get one of my buddies to do it well im trying to learn to do it myself im a female "& i would like to know cause i have a cheerokee sport front axle sitting in the bone yard i work at. I was just figuring id ask & you could give me info instead of sitting on my ass all day & reading i can just check when im at work, so calm your damn boners. & stop being dueches. rawrr!
You do realize that was not directed to you RIGHT? I simply made a statement as to leafs and not to you in general. Contrary to your belief I did help with some hints on what springs to use if you do decide to go leafs. Also shame on you if you didn't search the forums yet for your answers. Makes no difference to me on your gender either 2 months later! Now untie your panties from the wad that they were in.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals