• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SOHC Nitrous Limit

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Coming in second just makes you the first loser!
I put a dry nitrous kit on my 07 Ranger 4.0 and I'm wondering about the bottom end. I read a few post that said the pistons were only good for up to 7-9 Lbs of boost. When I first tested it I started with the 25 Hp shot and worked up to the 100 Hp shot datalogging each time. I know the general rule of thumb is you can add a nitrous shot up to half of what Hp the engine makes on it's own. Since the SOHC makes 207 Hp that would mean a 100 Hp shot. However, when I tried the 100 Hp shot the fuel trims were a little lean. (1-3%) The stock fuel system is just not quite enough to keep up. I backed off to the 75 Hp shot and it was fine. But after reading the posts saying the pistons are only good for 7-9 Lbs of boot I wonder if the 75 Hp shot is too much. I don't really know how much boost it adds. I don't use it that much any more but I'm wondering if it's a ticking time bomb and I should drop to the 50 Hp shot.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
7lbs of boost would add roughly another 100hp to that motor, so I don't see why those pistons wouldn't be 'good' for a 100 shot.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I think the biggest issue on the SOHC for boost is that the stock Compression ratio is pretty high. I think 9.7:1 from the factory, needs a knock sensor to run on 87. Running 7-9psi on stock pistons would need race gas or water/meth injection, I'm sure.

I'm not familiar with Nitrous, so I'm not sure how that effects everything.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think you will blow head gaskets before the bottom end, based on my experience with boost on that engine.

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Coming in second just makes you the first loser!
I think you will blow head gaskets before the bottom end, based on my experience with boost on that engine.
That was my initial thought. I think I feel comfortable with the 75Hp shot. Not much of a noticeable difference between the 75 and the 100 except on the time slip and it really needs a wet kit at that level. It's fun but she's also my daily driver and I don't want to blow something whether it be a head gasket or bottom end! :oops:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals