• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

So I think I got a little ahead of myself **NEED HELP***

Buzzard

Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inch
Tire Size
31x10.50 R15
So, I finally got a 4.0l out a 98 B4000 got the wiring harness and both computers ( one from the cowl and one from the passenger kick panel). I a Planning to swap my 2.9 out for the 4.0. Where my questions are is ,1 - will my fm-146 5spd trans bolt to this motor? 2 - will I need both computers for this swap? 3 - What wires will I need and not need from the wiring harness? 4 - is this even going to be a good 4.0 to use?

Now for the good, the 4.0 has time gears not timing belts so it’s a little bit more reliable ( so I’ve been told) the motor ran like a top when pull from the original truck. And it has 195k original miles, oil is super clean and filter had no metal chucks in it or junk built up in it either when I cut it open.

This will be the first time I’ve ever done a motor swap on my own, any help, advice and or knowledge is very welcome and appreciated! :)👍

I’ll add a few pictures below of how Vegas sits now and of the motor I got!

Also if anyone would like to see and know more about Vegas I have a YouTube Channel called What_happens_in_Vegas88 recently started just for her. I’ll add the link below to! It gives a little insight to all the things I’ve done to her so far since I’ve owed the truck.

YouTube Link:
Quick description of Vegas:

• Black ~1988 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 (Super Cab)
  • 5spd FM-146 Transmission
  • Borg Warner Transfer Case
  • 4inch Rough Country Suspension Lift
  • Sitting on Stock style 15x8 Aluminum Bullet Holes wrapped with 31x10.50R15.
  • Original 2.9l V6 with 209k Miles

WANNA GO AHEAD AND SAY THANK YOU IN ADVANCE TO ANYONE THAT READS THIS AND LENDS SOME HELP!

Attachments

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Someone else will chime in with more definitive info, I’m sure. But, from my understanding, you should use the engine wiring harness and pcm that belong to the 4.0l from the donor. The pcm is the computer that was in the cowl.

the other “computer” you saved is the GEM. That handles other vehicle stuff like courtesy lights and the battery saver relay and stuff like that. It’s more for controlling non-engine kinds of things.I don’t think you’ll need that.

I’ll call an expert @Ron D

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
To answer your question "what wires do I need," you will need to get the wiring diagrams for your year (1988?) and for the 98 donor, and go through the connections from the dash to the engine bay and determine that. Since Ford likes to change a few things each year, there is not a reliable generic answer to that question.

You can use the transmission you have, but a M5OD-R1 would be a better choice imho.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Unfortunately, you set yourself up for a difficult swap. Nothing from the donor is ideal other than the block and heads.

It will bolt to the FM-146, but it may or may not survive behind the 4.0, the recommended transmission for a manual is a M5OD which was the manual transmission used behind the 4.0

The fuel system is incompatible, a 1988 used a lower pressure pump and a return line. Somewhere around 1998/9 they went to a higher pressure pump and eliminated the return line, so you either need to change the fuel system over or you need to replace the fuel rail and injectors. Of course, the computer you now have is only for the returnless system.

None of the wiring will be compatible, there’s going to be a ton of splicing.

A 98 will have an anti-theft as part of the computer, along with a module hidden in the dash and chip keys. If you didn’t get that stuff, then you will need to get it programmed out of the computer

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
The FM-146 will bolt to the 4.0. Mine was supposedly rebuilt just before I got the truck. I used it and the stock 2.9 clutch and flywheel. The 4.0 revs quick with that little flywheel. The clutch slips before it has chance to do much damage. Acted kinda like a fuse for the transmission. I drove it that way for 7 years or so.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals