• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sluggish 96 auto

CrazyRangerMama

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello! The reader’s digest version of my problem is my 96 3.0 auto is running alright, but has zero acceleration… like, gotta floor it and hope there is a down hill stretch. It will get to speed, about 60 mph, it does not bog down or buck, but it also doesn’t rev much… it’s just like the gas pedal is in mud lol

MAF? I need to check the air filter but I feel like it would be bogging down.

The truck has the typical mid 90’s personality in the electrical department- random wiper fits and the dome light was unhooked years ago for staying on- the typical ford shudder and runs a little rough once warmed up and then turned off for a minute… park it to go into a store and come out ten minutes later and it’s going to shake a minute on start up.

just wondering where to start if anybody had a similar issue.

thank you! Pic of truckers getting his rear end worked on for my own s&gs lol

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
What happens if you manually shift the transmission?

CrazyRangerMama

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
What happens if you manually shift the transmission?
I haven’t tried that but will to see what happens. It’s an automatic, it does shift but clunks at third (somebody didn’t take care of him before I got him back), It doesn’t race or bog down it just doesn’t move lol it was never a speedster but in our day we hit triple digits now I’m barely making it to 60. Course in my day I could run and not need advil after lol time is cruel lol

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Just wondering if you have a engine issue with no power, or a transmission issue that is not downshifting and letting the engine rev. If you pull it down manually and the engine is then willing to go, then it might be a transmission issue.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
An engine is a self powered AIR PUMP

If you block the air IN(air filter/tubes) or the air OUT(exhaust) you get a very sluggish "pump"

CrazyRangerMama

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
An engine is a self powered AIR PUMP

If you block the air IN(air filter/tubes) or the air OUT(exhaust) you get a very sluggish "pump"
Yes, I’d imagine if it were an intake air flow issue it would bog down. I think I’m dealing with an exhaust issue… I’ll get to the bottom of it. Need to clean some sensors and check some lines I think :) the check engine light came on and that’s shedding some light on it all hopefully. P1443 so it seems I have an evap line that may be blocked :). I’m going to attempt to clean the MAF as well

CrazyRangerMama

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Just wondering if you have a engine issue with no power, or a transmission issue that is not downshifting and letting the engine rev. If you pull it down manually and the engine is then willing to go, then it might be a transmission issue.
That’s could be, I’ll have to take it out and play a little :) thank you

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals