• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Slave cylinder question

CFranklin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2001 ranger...4cyliinder...2wd....does the transmission have to be removed to replace the slave cylinder?

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Not necessarily, but it makes it a helluva lot easier:icon_thumby:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
what blackbII means is....yes. the slave cylinder is inside the bellhousing.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Thank You Sludge

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well, you CAN remove the engine instead.

Which is a good idea if there is anything else you need to do to the engine (like an oil pan sealup or replacing core plugs).

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just pull the transmission and R&R the slave cylinder. While you're there I highly recommend replacing ALL clutch components so you don't have to pull it for a while.

Allen

chazzwazzit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
on this topic i have a 92 4.0 2wd 5 speed and im not sure if the slave is bad/leaking,or needs bleeding.it went from good clutch to non at all after shutting off truck.checked fluid and resevoir was empty so i filled it.i had good clutch but it went again,resevoir was low but not empty.theres no fluid under the truck??i dont have the garage setup for pullin trannies so good news/suggestions please

grnrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The fluid has to go somewhere...does the under part of the car look oily behind the trans? Kinda doesn't matter, unless theres a leak at the master cylinder, or the quick connect at the top of the bell housing, the slave is the only other place it can leak and it's tranny pullin time to change it. But on the bright side...it's really not that hard to do...and you get to know your truck so much better...

grnrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh yeah...definitely agree with doing the whole clutch job if yer gonna swap out a slave unit...

chazzwazzit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
right on boys,thanks i kinda figured as much,thought the rear main seal was gone but prob the slaves whats doin it.(or both)the guy i bought it off said he put a new clutch and pressure plate but not the slave.so after i get the part(do i need gaskets or seals?),can this be done in the driveway?how high does the truck need to be for clearance.(its 2wd but new coils and 29" all terrains)sorry bout all the questions but this will be a first for me and i dont want any major surprises,so far sounds fairly simple

grnrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I usually do it in the driveway, but sometimes at the curb in front of the house....I usually put the front end up on jackstands, plenty of room to get it out and back in, no seals or gaskets necessary, pull the trans, unbolt the bellhousing, swap the slave, bolt it all back together...

mccrob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
couple of pointers,try to take out the master cylinderwith the line intact to the trans,bleed it by hand when you get you new slave in,these r a pain in the ass to bleed wish I would have bled it as a whole while it was out and unbolt your exhaust and the y pipe coming off the engine you will need this out of the way to get the tranny out,I discovered this when the tranny was part way out and ended up with tranny and exhaust tangled together

grnrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is there a y-pipe on a 4cyl? I thought it just came down one side. Interesting...to do my clutch, I had to pull the exhaust on my 90 Ranger but not on my 86 B2...both 2.9s, pulled the Bronco apart 4 or 5 times now and have never busted the exhaust loose. Now I need to raise that motor to swap the oil pump, and can't get them rascals loose at all.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
No, 4bangers don't have Y-pipes.

I tried it both ways on a 1986 Bronco II with a 2.9L. It is FAR easier to install the transmission with the Y-pipe and cat removed. And mine were BADLY frozen; took 4 hours with an impact to get them out. I replaced them with stainless and chased the manifold threads, and it sure was easier after that.

reno

Reaction score
I use 3/8 All thread when I put the tranny back in. Place 2 pieces on either side of the motor where the tranny bolts to, then just line the tranny to the all thread and you have instant very long guide pins to line the tranny up the very first time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals