• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Simple question regarding fuel economy...

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So I remember not too long ago, speed limits were reduced (Remember 55?) to save fuel. Why are we not doing this today?

I have noticed many trucks going 55 now...btw.

Just wondering what you guys think.

bbbb51

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Well here in new mexico most of the freeways are 75 but there are alot of ppl that keep it to 65. I just drove to vegas a few weeks ago and most of the vechicles were doing closer to 80.I think if u wanna drive 55 thats great as u do save gas, but leave the speed limit where its at now.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Gas isn't in short enough supply yet.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Much like Prohibition, a seemingly arbitrary law eroded the government's authority. EVERYONE sped during the 55 MPH speed limit. There were even movies about that....

That is why it's a bad idea.

FYI, in many places (including all of California), all vehicles with trailers have a 55 MPH speed limit. Large trucks even have speed limits on the Autobahn (100 km/h, just over 60 MPH).

pickup

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
As for saving gas, it all depends on what your vehicle is geared for. I have been a trucker for 22 years, and have had companies try and force me to run 55 (they get cheaper ins. rates and co. trucks were geared for that). My trucks were geared to run 75 mph @ 1450 RPM. Thats where they got their best fuel economy.
A pickup with tall gears might be lugging the engine at 55, where it might be right in the band @ 70. It depends somewhat more on RPM's than MPH.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
So I remember not too long ago, speed limits were reduced (Remember 55?) to save fuel. Why are we not doing this today?

I have noticed many trucks going 55 now...btw.

Just wondering what you guys think.
Because driving 55 is lame... I do at least 65 in all 55 MPH freeway zones to keep with traffic and to actually get somewhere, my B2 cruises really well at 65-70MPH.

Ranger1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The idea is sound, but whoever made for that to happen would never get another term.

chico4554

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i cruise like 62 on the highway. I get about 34 mpg in my peice of shit

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I noticed that right around 70 mph is my optimum for my 2.3 manual geared 3.73 with stock wheels/tires. I usually end up doing between 75-80mph though.

I also improved it once I took the topper off.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Much like Prohibition, a seemingly arbitrary law eroded the government's authority. EVERYONE sped during the 55 MPH speed limit. There were even movies about that....

That is why it's a bad idea.

).
and a kick ass van-hagar song!

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I've noticed when I'm on a 4 lane highway, I tend to want to drive alot faster, say 120-130 KPH. But on the 2 lane middle of farmer fields, I feel content driving 100 or even 90 KPH.

Just an observation.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Just figured I'd ask.

As to speeding...With the limit at 65 EVERYBODY passes you, when i was out west, with a 70 speed limit, every body passed me. Honestly , I think that everybody speeds anyhow, no matter what the limit.

I found I get about 2 more mpg going at 55 rather than 65... My 2.5 is generally happiest right around 3k, it has never been good much above 68-70...we have too many grades, even on the interstates...I don't bother with overdrive...I loose alot of milage there, even if the speed is high enough to keep the engine in the power band.

VaGent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 Bronco II
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Makes no difference what the poseted speed limit is or where, there is always someone in BIG HURRY to get somewhere who thinks the laws don't apply to them. I drive 185 miles daily on a 4 lane interstate highway & always at the same time of day & I see the same people driving faster then everyone else every single day no matter what. They are always on their cell phones talking to whoever, NEVER use a turn signal, always running up behind someone expecting everyone to get the hell out of their way because they are in a hurry, salm on brakes causing everyone else to do the same & then as soon as they have barely enough space to pullout into another lane, they jump & go & do it all over again. This continues for a distance of 52 miles until they get off the interstate.

There are some people who think & believe firmly they have MORE rights on the road then anyone else & everyone should get out of their way no matter what. It's people like this who im my opinion should never be allowed to drive a skateboard. Why do they think they have the right to do whatever they want to do when they get behind the wheel of their vehicle? It's because they care only about themselves & what it is they want to do & to hell with everyone else. And then some people wonder why there is as much "road rage" on the road as there is? And the real problem is the MAJORITY of the speeders & IDIOTS are from out of state to begin with.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Makes no difference what the poseted speed limit is or where, there is always someone in BIG HURRY to get somewhere who thinks the laws don't apply to them. I drive 185 miles daily on a 4 lane interstate highway & always at the same time of day & I see the same people driving faster then everyone else every single day no matter what. They are always on their cell phones talking to whoever, NEVER use a turn signal, always running up behind someone expecting everyone to get the hell out of their way because they are in a hurry, salm on brakes causing everyone else to do the same & then as soon as they have barely enough space to pullout into another lane, they jump & go & do it all over again. This continues for a distance of 52 miles until they get off the interstate.

There are some people who think & believe firmly they have MORE rights on the road then anyone else & everyone should get out of their way no matter what. It's people like this who im my opinion should never be allowed to drive a skateboard. Why do they think they have the right to do whatever they want to do when they get behind the wheel of their vehicle? It's because they care only about themselves & what it is they want to do & to hell with everyone else. And then some people wonder why there is as much "road rage" on the road as there is? And the real problem is the MAJORITY of the speeders & IDIOTS are from out of state to begin with.
same goes for the people who do 10 under in my opinion.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals