• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Signals and hazard work, dash indicators do not. 2.3 2005 Ranger

DaveH

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This truck has a slew of electrical gremlins. Thought I'd hit a couple of the minor problems before the major ones. Anyone out there run into a similar problem. OD light also flashes incessantly without stop.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The dash and front turn indicators share 1 wire for each side
Rear turns are on different wires

So if the front turns work then most likely the bulbs in the cluster are burned out, or a cluster issue
If front turns are also not working then problem is in the Multi-function switch(turn signal stalk)

OD OFF light flashing means electrical issue with automatic trans, always flashing means something is "dead" not intermittent, lol
There will be Transmission codes in memory, telling you where to look, not all OBD2 readers can "see" these

The P0700 codes: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/obd-ii_trouble_codes/
And there are more

2005 Rangers don't have PATS, just FYI, so no special key is needed

DaveH

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The dash and front turn indicators share 1 wire for each side
Rear turns are on different wires

So if the front turns work then most likely the bulbs in the cluster are burned out, or a cluster issue
If front turns are also not working then problem is in the Multi-function switch(turn signal stalk)

OD OFF light flashing means electrical issue with automatic trans, always flashing means something is "dead" not intermittent, lol
There will be Transmission codes in memory, telling you where to look, not all OBD2 readers can "see" these

The P0700 codes: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/obd-ii_trouble_codes/
And there are more

2005 Rangers don't have PATS, just FYI, so no special key is needed
Thanks much Ron, I have a major issue with the harness throwing multiple codes (10) including all of the transmission sensors Shift A and B and C and Clutch. Could be when the engine went in i damaged the harness somehow. Don't know how I tucked it out of the way. All the codes are control codes so I'm looking at wiring harness or ECU I THINK. Glad to know about the OD flash that saved me a bunch of time.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There is one fuse that powers all the transmission solenoids, and the O2 sensor heaters
In a 2005 it is Fuse 41 in engine bay fuse box, 15amp

Most common reason for it to blow is an O2 sensors 4-wire harness gets too close to exhaust and melts/shorts, or heater inside it shorts
Or maybe you pinched an O2s wires between engine and trans during install

Last edited:

DaveH

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Going to check this out............... Thank you

DaveH

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I checked it, #41 had a 10 AMP fuse in it and was not blown. I'll give you a list of codes this ECU has stored....... I have an appointment with a second shop next week. The first was stymied. I attached a list of the mother load of errors that are stored. We have cleared re run the truck and the errors came back. The first shop did so also (3rd time). The transmission issue is obvious as the truck does not shift. It runs surprisingly well but the drive sequence is 2500 rpm the truck starts to move and at 3200 I achieve 60mph. None of the shift solenoids are functioning.

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So not a stock engine setup, is the Computer stock model?

Code P0023 only applies to engine with VVT, variable valve timing which Rangers never had

Test if fuse 41 in engine bay fuse box has 12v with key on, owners manual says 2.3l should have 15amp fuse there, just FYI
But working 10amp fuse should be OK

Any code with "circuit" in the description means no 12v or broken ground wire
Since the transmission solenoids share one 12v wire, and each has its own ground wire back to the computer, its more likely when you get multiple solenoid "circuit" codes that the 12v wire is the issue not 3 or 4 ground wires

Here is a drawing of the transmissions 16 pin connector, pull it off and test the wires that should have 12v with key on

5R55E wires.jpg

Wires 1, 10 and 11 should show 12v and should use light blue/orange stripe wire

That wire comes from fuse 41 and is spliced at several places for the O2 sensor's heaters
So if you unplug either O2 sensor's 4 wire connector it should also have a 12v, key on wire, but you don't have O2 heater "circuit" code
P0135 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0141 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
So could mean the fuse 41 12v wire to trans was broken after a splice

C codes, chassis codes, have no connection to Computer so not a bad computer as far as those codes
What does "Charging well" mean?
14.4v to 14.8v after start up is expected, then after 5min or so it should drop to 13.8v to 14.2v

Last edited:

DaveH

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Appreciate your information. Have a lot to check on tomorrow. Here's the story behind this truck. Bought with blown motor, rod through the block #1 piston. Bought a 2.3 long block pulled from another Ranger and used that cylinder head and oil pan for rebuild as the first engine had sucked and bent valves on #1. Used a 2.5 short block as neither of the 2.3's were rebuildable. Both had destroyed crankshafts. Used the 2.3 head on 2.5 block writeup as a guide. That P0023 threw me too. I'm wondering if a short could cause that weird code. AS far as the charging goes. I started up the truck and the voltage by meter was 14.7 volts. After a couple of minutes the battery gained a minor surface charge. No voltage drop was detected. The battery cold was 12.4 or 5 volts if I recall. I'll test those pins and #41 tomorrow as described........

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So still using the 2005 2.3l computer

DaveH

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes sir.............

DaveH

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I assumed the 16 pin connector was the square connector by the intake driver's side. That connector has at least 33 pins. So, where do I look for this connector? #41 does have 12 volts key on.

DaveH

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No wonder I was confused.......... LMAO........... Thanks.

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The engine connector can have issues as well but not pertaining to the codes you have so far

DaveH

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
RonD, Gawd............... I recently had knee surgery and was reluctant to climb under the truck because of the difficulty to get down and up. I managed it and found the transmission connector was connected but not securely. Snapped it in and voila'. Shifting again. The OD flashing is gone and engine light cleared. Now we'll see after the next drive if the code pops again. I don't think so, shifts fine! Thanks so much for your time and patience.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals