• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

**Shudder** (and shiver)

Great_Big_Abyss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So we're in the middle of one of the Prairie's infamous cold spells right now. The last few days have been about -25C to -30C (that's -15F to -22F to you Yanks!). Last night it went down to -41 with the windchill (that's -41.8F).

Anyway, my point is, I hope you fellows who live in warmer climes appreciate just how lucky you are to live where you do! Driving a vehicle in extreme cold is NOT fun. Should you EVER forget to plug in your truck at night (or during the day, even) your vehicle will probably NOT start when you need it.
Hell, my truck didn't even fully warm up on my way to work this morning. And I have a 25 minute drive, mostly country highway!!! Just the amount of air coming through the grille and dumping itself on the block was enough to keep my 4.0L from reaching full operating temperature. I guess I'll have to throw some cardboard behind my grille.

But the wierdest thing? Well, I'd have to say its the transfer case and the differential. At these temperatures, the fluids in them turn into something akin to refrigerated molasses. Driving through my parking lot, as soon as I let off the gas my truck slows down as if I'm applying the brakes - just because of the viscosity of those fluids. I hate to think of my fuel economy in those first few minutes of driving. Cold engine, cold transmission, transfer case and diff fluids.... Oh well, that's the price to pay for... what, exactly? Why the hell would anyone live in a climate such as this?????

And the worst part? We don't even have any snow. Not even an inch on the ground. This would be all good if I could at least throw it in 4x4 and go slogging through some backroads. At least I'm not a sledhead. I bet those guys are crying right about now. But his year, no snow so far. And those lucky guys in southern Ontario/North Eastern US get 14 inches.... sigh.

And my point? Climate Change SUCKS!!!!!!!

/Rant over.

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
3.0Powerstroke/3.5 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
I thought you were supposed to run a lower viscosity oil in cold climates?
When I worked on the North Slope in Alaska we ran a 75-90wt gear oil in the difs and a multi vis in the transfer on our trucks.

Last edited:

Great_Big_Abyss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Technically, yes. But then I'd have to change fluids every spring and autumn. Summers here get nice and hot (oh yeah...THAT's why we live here). So I just run medium viscosity year round.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Use synthetics. They flow much better in cold weather AND give high temperature protection.

I use 0w-30 oil in my engine and 75w-90 in my diffs. Summers around here can get into the 90s. I run these fluids year round.

Last edited:

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEhahahahahahahahaha......

I live in northern Ontario....we got the 20+cm of snow yesterday and I LOVE IT!!! best part is...it's not nearly as cold! :yahoo:

Sorry...had to post this :D

Great_Big_Abyss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEhahahahahahahahaha......

I live in northern Ontario....we got the 20+cm of snow yesterday and I LOVE IT!!! best part is...it's not nearly as cold! :yahoo:

Sorry...had to post this :D

When I was a kid we lived in Atlantic Canada. THAT was fun. It's never went below -10C and we always got TONS of snow. That, in my mind is the perfect winter!!!

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Most definitely. It's hovering around -5 to -15 here now and for the rest of the week. The sledheads were out in droves lastnight! lol

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Switch to a synthetic oil through out the drivetrain.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Don't you just love it. you start it (hopefully) and the oil in the transmission is so thick that you can't let the clutch out or it will stall the motor. mmm should have scraped the crap off the windows before trying to start it I guess. Heck to this, time to hybernate.

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Haha I couldn't agree more, But I'm thankful for the lack of snow. My trucks not running! I want to get it going before the snow comes so i can have some fun. Also...try working in this weather. I usually work 2 in the afternoon til after 12 at night...by twelve at night it gets really frickin cold. Cold just sucks energy outta me. I hate working in it

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And people around here gripe about the 20's. I couldn't make it north of Kansas. Ya'll can have it up there.

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
First time I changed my brakes and front bearings on my old '93 ranger was in a temporary tarp garage and it was -35. Try packing bearings with a bare hand full of grease at that temp. BRRR!!! :annoyed:

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
And people around here gripe about the 20's. I couldn't make it north of Kansas. Ya'll can have it up there.
20's. It was 13*F at 230 this morning at Tinker AFB. I don't care for the cold. But dang it, if it is going to be cold, I want chaos. Let there be freezing rain, ice, snow, maybe a good blizzard for good measure.

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thats just cause you have the wussy 4L I have yet to plug in my truck. But in the end cold is good for my work(we clean up fire/water damage).

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I hear ya. It has been somewhere between -11 and a few degrees above here for the last week, with windchill of about -25. We have about two inches of snow. Supposedly this is not supposed to last, and we will end up with a mild, dry winter. No complaints from me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals