• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Should I ditch my old 97 for a 01 Ranger?

lone-wolf

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm at a life decision.

Fix my 4.0L 97 ranger(300,000KM) that needs a couple thousand dollars worth of work/parts. Radiator, fuel pump, some kind of engine sensor, brake lines, all the shocks & leaf springs(going with skyjacker leaf springs & ditching the rear lift blocks) need replacing.
It already has a 4" suspension lift, but some of the wiring for the heater blower I had to mickey mouse to get to work.
Sometimes, the engine would start, run a min, then die last time I was using it as a daily driver.

Or

There's a 01 Ranger FX4 for $3000, with the 4.0L & 253000KM
Inspected, ready to go. Looks like they por15'd(or similar) the frame already. Rear shocks, shackles & hangers are new. noteable improvement vs my old ranger: the 01 has a posi rear end, my 97 doesn't.

Last edited:

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I'm at a life decision.

Fix my 4.0L 97 ranger(300,000KM) that needs a couple thousand dollars worth of work/parts. Radiator, fuel pump, some kind of engine sensor, brake lines, all the shocks & leaf springs(going with skyjacker leaf springs & ditching the rear lift blocks) need replacing.
It already has a 4" suspension lift, but some of the wiring for the heater blower I had to mickey mouse to get to work.
Sometimes, the engine would start, run a min, then die last time I was using it as a daily driver.

Or

There's a 01 Ranger FX4 for $3000, with the 4.0L & 253000KM
Inspected, ready to go. Looks like they por15'd(or similar) the frame already. Rear shocks, shackles & hangers are new. noteable improvement vs my old ranger: the 01 has a posi rear end, my 97 doesn't.
I think getting rid of your's would be a good idea, your spending money on a dying horse, really
Yours has 300,000km on it, and this 01 has 253,000km, 50,000km more and it gets right back up there. Honestly, I would spend the extra money on something with a little less mileage, so you get more bang for your buck. The last thing you want to do is get something that is going to cause more problems.

Deastoer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 1996
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
the 4.0 ohv is easier to work on then the sohc, more performance in sohc but timing on those are a bitch and a half...If youre not hurtin for a car to drive i'd stick to the 97 and fix the suspension, plus the 4.0ohv at 300k should run just as strong if not stronger than the 4.0sohc at 250k.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Lets not forget about the suspension.

Your 97 is the last your of the TTB front end, which is easy and cheap to lift.

The 01 is not.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Weren't they still having problems with the sohc in 01? And like previously said last year of the ttb. I'd buy a rebuild kit for the ohv, if it even needs it. My 4.0 has almost 260k no leaks or smoke. And some people could put on 50k in a year. And who's to say that other truck wouldn't need the same parts in 50k.

lone-wolf

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Wish I could buy a brand new 97 Ranger, not to fond of any of the newer rangers(01 isn't bad). They don't feel right.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
I bought the Rat on a whim without knowing anything about Rangers. I wanted a '94 because it is ODB1 and not subject to emissions. I wanted a manual trans 4x4. I wanted a 4 banger, but I didnt see any. The Rat has a 4.0 and I'm glad it does, because it came with 8.8 rear and 10" brakes. I think it has a 2" lift to accomodate the 4wd. It is a gen 3 long cab and has the 2 piece front axle Manual doors , no AC, manual hubs. I guess I got a good yr and option pkg.:D

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I say rebuild it. After the rebuild you'll have as much into it as the other truck and have a mechanicly brand new truck... That you like.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I say rebuild it. After the rebuild you'll have as much into it as the other truck and have a mechanicly brand new truck... That you like.
Im leaning in the same direction.

To spend that money on a truck with 250k, you are just asking for something to break on that truck after spending all your money on buying it.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As far as the limited slip goes, you could probably get one from somebody upgrading to a locker off trs for practically free.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals