• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Should I continue with Rangers?

kamps989

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I am thinking in the next 2 years I am going to get a new to me truck. I have been thinking F-150 for some time as the fuel economy would be similar and the capacities would be larger. As I have pondered it I am thinking that a last production year Ranger might be a better fit for me. I would certainly enjoy a 4.0 I think, even though I love my 3.0 for working on and reliability it really is a dog when I am towing anything larger than a small duck boat. The main perk I am thinking in keeping with Rangers is how easy my current truck is to work on and things just seem to make sense in this truck and most things are easily accessible. Either way my truck is starting to rust out from salt and I wanna sell it in the semi near future while I still can get some cash money for it. For years I have been thinking F150, but I don't wanna be in one pining for a ranger!

So what do you guys think?
Is the 4.0 a fairly beefier engine for towing?
Will a fleetside truck alleviate a lot of my bed capacity issues?
Or should I bite the bullet and get a full size?

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
They don't make Rangers anymore. You could do a lot worse than a loaded final edition. . I was looking at a 90 in a parking lot. 4 cyl 5 spd. Clear coat gone on the hood, but otherwise pretty darn decent for a 24yr old Ford. I dont see very many other 24 yr old mini pick ups. "especially the Japanese stuff. Get an F 150 next time :D

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I like the 4.0 for towing/hauling. I semi-regularly haul about 1000 lbs of scrap out to the recycler's, in the fleet-side bed, and she doesn't seem to notice it much. Certainly much less than the 2.9 did. By all reports the 2.9 was a better towing engine than the 3.0.

The 4.0 can go toe-to-toe with many of Ford's older V-8s. It might not win, but it is in the fight.

On the other hand, we are starting to see the early Ecoboost trucks traded back in, and if you drive then gently you can get into the low to mid twenties for fuel economy unloaded, and when you want them to make power they will put the 6.8L V10 to shame. And you can get those in a full 4-door crew cab. I would recommend steering clear of the 3.5L/157" wheel base F-150s though.

I guess it tall depends on what you want and what you like. Personally, I just don't like full size trucks. A while ago I got to drive a used F-150 Screw for the weekend looking for an intermittent problem. Not a mile went by that I didn't want my Ranger back.

kamps989

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
haha Yeah my buddy has a gen 1 ranger and it looks terrible but runs like a top! I am all to aware that the ranger is out of production as I go by the sad empty lot outside the plant frequently, it was once full of shiny new rangers that just rolled off the line! I meant to say a final production year.

Rangurr

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
It really depends on how much you actually intend to haul. If you're just looking for occasional hauling/towing, the Ranger with the 4.0 and a styleside bet will be just fine (yes, the difference in beds does make quite a difference IMO). However, if you're looking at regular hauling/towing larger loads, the F-150 may be the best option. I know that I would personally do the 150 but I also had a tendency to overload my Ranger regularly.

rangeron33s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Doesn't really have anything to do with rangers but does everyone see the date on the first post on this thread? On my phone the date says 12/31/1969 while all the replies say 3 hours ago and such.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

rangeron33s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would screen shot it if I could but I have an android from before they could do it

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you do a lot of city driving the Ranger will probably be a handier size and get better milage. Pushing around another half of ton of truck with a bigger engine is going to take its toll.

Hwy mpg would be about a wash, both are more than capable of flirting with 20mpg if setup and driven right.

What year of '150 are you considering?

I went fullsize and have no regrets, of course your results may vary. :icon_thumby:

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 2011 crew cab ecoboost, swapped off an 02 4.0 ranger for it back in '11. The f-150 gets about the same MPG with tons more power, lots of room, etc. Do I miss the ranger? Damn skippy. I like this f-150 but I loved my ranger. Now I know you are more confused than ever...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an 2011 crew cab ecoboost, swapped off an 02 4.0 ranger for it back in '11. The f-150 gets about the same MPG with tons more power, lots of room, etc. Do I miss the ranger? Damn skippy. I like this f-150 but I loved my ranger. Now I know you are more confused than ever...
Simple solution... keep the Ranger. :icon_thumby:

Thinking of trading/selling my Ranger is like thinking of selling a kid. But that is because of the truck itself, I am rather attached to it. If something happened I wouldn't run out and buy another because I NEED it for something other than a toy.

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If you're going to buy new, I would buy Toyota, I'm surprised as "compact" the Tacoma is. I would stay away from the Nissan Frontier, leaky rear axles, get warranty; it's the only Compact truck being made as far as I know, the Nissan Titan is a 'battle' tank, but it's full sized. F-150's are everywhere and you would get good aftermarket support.

Tough call man, but one thing I would not do is "keep it" hate to see you broke down pulling a load. Using Ranger brakes while pulling a load DOES not inspire confidence!

They just don't build cars like they used to, and soon F-150's will have aluminum frames, anything less than a F250 is a commodity item.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Doesn't really have anything to do with rangers but does everyone see the date on the first post on this thread? On my phone the date says 12/31/1969 while all the replies say 3 hours ago and such.

I have experienced this phenomenon.

Tough call man, but one thing I would not do is "keep it" hate to see you broke down pulling a load. Using Ranger brakes while pulling a load DOES not inspire confidence!
I dunno, I have done some stuff that I probably shouldn't have and not had any issues. I make sure to drive properly, leave enough room to stop safely, and no, it does not take too long to get to the point where electric trailer brakes are HIGHLY recommended. But when you do it right, and if you go get some of the upgrades we have found installed these trucks can stop a pretty good load.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Heck, I hauled 800 lbs with a wonky 4 banger and only three of four brakes working on my Ranger...but, I'm a bit of a fool sometimes...:)

It stopped just fine...it was getting it going again that was the real issue.

I've been looking at F150s and various other trucks in the process of deciding whether to rebuild yet again or move on...even looked at an 88 F150 with the 5.0 and would have bought it if it wasn't for safety inspections and welding floor panels...not to mention broken exhaust manifolds and the regular cab...which is almost as big as the extended cab or bigger...

But I think if you are otherwise happy with a Ranger and just want a better towing rig then look for a later model Ranger in better shape...unless you are planning to expand family wise...

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
love my ranger, went from a '88 2.3 to a '93 4.0 even though my 4.0 is the earlier ohv version, i would rather have it than a fullsized. i plan on continuing with the ranger chassis after my current one is no longer driveable, not sure when that will be, its held together this long, guess the frame will have to give up before i give up on it. i looked at the possibility of a toyota, but theyre just too exspensive for me, and i know the ranger chassis pretty good by now after a collective 20 years of ranger ownership, dont think any of my ranger stuff would transfer over to a toyota... i'll stay the course with my ranger....until i have to get another one. :)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They just don't build cars like they used to, and soon F-150's will have aluminum frames, anything less than a F250 is a commodity item.
Where are you pulling this aluminum thing out of?

They are getting aluminum bodies, you know the part that rusts out and looks like crap after 10 years. The frame is still steel and as good if not better than anything that has been under a pickup to date.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals