• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

shifter stub swap?

Mrtin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The situation is this. 1992 with M50d-R1 two-wheel drive.

Transmission is done for. Secured a replacement, also R1 two-wheel but from a 1998.

The groove and slot on the shifter stub, where the large shifter lever attaches, is of a different orientation and therefore will not fit the lever in my truck. I did not get the lever for the new transmission.

I have been reading around on this, but still am unclear if I can just swap the stub and lever from my 1992 onto the R1 made in 98 or if I'll need to find a shift lever for the stub that is in the new transmission. I've read that the stubs are different lengths, but am wondering if that would matter at all for the internals. If they bottom in the same place and in the same shape, is it just what is above the transmission that is different?

Thanks everyone! I know this isn't the most pressing of issues, but if I am going to swap them out I'll go ahead and buy a new set of bushings for the correct model year, just trying to get a jump on things. I'm sure I'll be back with all sorts of speedo issues soon enough.

I appreciate your help.
-M

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I haven't tried it but, I've read that the stubs aren't interchangeable. Only way to do it is matching shifter or cut and turn yours.

Edgefevah

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Unfortunately the only way to use the new transmissions stub is to either cut and rotate and weld or go to a wrecker and buy a new shifter stick. The first method requires a certain level of fab skills and a welder.

When I got the newer transmission I lucked out with a FX4 level 2 chrome stick for $6!!!!

Good luck, there is also a post in the technical section that can help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrtin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
stubs

Thanks for the responses. I wanted to clarify though since I may not have been very clear.

I don't want to use a mismatched stub and lever set. I assume that would be the situation in which I'd have to cut and rotate the stub so that the differently shaped lever would fit the stub.

What I am looking at doing is using the stub AND shifter lever from my 92 on the 98 trans, like Senornoob mentions. I know the stub and lever would therefore fit to each other, I'm wondering if the pair would fit into a R1 that was seven years newer.

I was assuming it would, but in looking at them side to side the lengths are in fact different. The stub from the '98 is about 1/4 inch longer than the older stub. The ball and above are the same, meaning that the difference in length (and a small difference in shape) is in the business end.

Clearly the easiest solution is to find myself a 98 shift lever to go with this stub. I'm now just kind of curious about the whole thing though. I wonder if Ford didn't change the configuration of the lever attachment specifically to prevent people from using the wrong stub on an updated R1. What that update would have been I have no idea. Or why using the old stub would be a grave enough error to warrant changing the hardware setup to keep us from accidentally doing so.

If anyone has the answers, or better informed guesses than mine, I'd love to hear them! Until then I'll try and track down the guy I got this transmission from. The funny part is that while I was taking it I just left the shifter on his front seat. He stopped me as I was leaving and said "Do you want this?" and I told him no, I already have a shifter!

Thanks guys
-Mrtin

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I remember reading somewhere that it was changed as part of the revision to shorten shifter throw. Dunno if that is right or not though.

Mrtin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
update

Interesting. I suppose that makes sense. At any rate I won't have to worry about it as I have gotten my hands on a lever to match my new stub. And it has the cup holders built into the base! I'm moving on up.

-M

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals