• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Second saddle tank

chrisser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Was crawling around under the Ranger yesterday.

There's a lot of wasted space under there. I'd like to add a second gas tank, but I don't really want to lose my rear spare tire storage.

It occured to me that, if you reinforced the frame and ran the exhaust through it right after it left the converters, there'd be enough space for a second saddle tank right where the muffler currently is.

The exhaust would have to be routed outside the frame rails, with some sort of slim muffler, and probably some sort of protection - maybe dumping it just before the rear wheel rather than trying to route it over the axle.

Curious if anyone's tried this before. Would probably need a gas door on the passenger side.

Mine's emissions exempt and the converters are in sad shape. I could probably fit a muffler in their place and then I'd only need to worry about an exhaust pipe, although I'd like to have a converter if I could make it all work.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
If you use a universal aftermarket converter it would make for a lot more space as it will save you about a foot compared to the stock converter set-up. You won't be able to put a factory tank in that spot, the driveshaft is offset to that side because of the factory gas tank. Whatever you put there will have to be a little slimmer than a stock tank.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I like that idea, my 88 F-150 had 2 gas tanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals