• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

searched an found nothing

infantry grunt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
A well known mechanic in my area is installing 4.56 gears in a 99 8.8 31 spline open diff,and says the c clips will not fit back in the axles because of the G2 ring gear is too thick.Has anyone had this problem before,or does this sound accurate?I havent seen it myself,he explained it to me over the phone.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A well known mechanic in my area is installing 4.56 gears in a 99 8.8 31 spline open diff,and says the c clips will not fit back in the axles because of the G2 ring gear is too thick.Has anyone had this problem before,or does this sound accurate?I havent seen it myself,he explained it to me over the phone.
I think there is threads on this you just have to carve a bit off a tooth and it will go.

Here is a thread with pics.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14531&highlight=lockrite

Last edited:

infantry grunt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
I read about that before I posted but sounds kinda crazy to do to a new set of gears,kinda sucks.Maybe I should have went with a different brand like yukon etc.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I read about that before I posted but sounds kinda crazy to do to a new set of gears,kinda sucks.Maybe I should have went with a different brand like yukon etc.
I believe its that way with pretty much all gears. As long as you shave just the top flat of the tooth its no problem. If you look at your old gear the primary point of contact is down further, just depends on how the installer sets the lash. Hopefully you will be good to go with it.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Your talking about grinding down the gears for the spider gear cross pin.
Hes talking about the C-clips!?!?! :icon_confused:

To the OP:
Please tell me you mean the pin, not the C-clips. I've swapped 4.56s into a few dozen rears and never had a problem with the C-clips.
I hope the hell he is not talking about the C-clips. I think something got lost in translation between his mechanic, him then to us.

infantry grunt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
my mechanic said the c clips,and that I may need c clip eliminators.I cant afford eliminators.I will know more when he gets done and I have the axle in my shop.Will I need a modified cross pin

Last edited:

infantry grunt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
BTW its a disc brake explorer axle open diff, if that makes a difference.This is really discouraging,man I have been saving up to have these done,my gears have been sitting in my shop about 2 years,really sucks.I appreciate yalls attention though,I really do,thanks.

Last edited:

infantry grunt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
I got my rear end back today and,now that I can look at it,I can see what needs to be done.I ground 1 ring gear tooth to get the pin out,and now about to grind a little on the pin to "modify" it so their will be clearence for the c-clips.Thanks again for the input and links,very helpful.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I got my rear end back today and,now that I can look at it,I can see what needs to be done.I ground 1 ring gear tooth to get the pin out,and now about to grind a little on the pin to "modify" it so their will be clearence for the c-clips.Thanks again for the input and links,very helpful.
Nice snap a pic of it before you dump gear oil all over the shiney new thing.:icon_thumby:

infantry grunt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
Too late,sorry I worked late last night to get it done.It was easier than I thought it would be,my mechanic did good,he just doesnt like grinding on his customers gears.I had to grind 1 ring gear tooth a tiny bit and it all went together like a puzzle.SOOOO,happy,now I am saving up for 35's,and thanks ALOT for the help,if not for yall I would have probly been beating on it with a hammer for weeks(until something broke)trying to get my axle back together.Thanks again,yall ROCK!

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Too late,sorry I worked late last night to get it done.It was easier than I thought it would be,my mechanic did good,he just doesnt like grinding on his customers gears.I had to grind 1 ring gear tooth a tiny bit and it all went together like a puzzle.SOOOO,happy,now I am saving up for 35's,and thanks ALOT for the help,if not for yall I would have probly been beating on it with a hammer for weeks(until something broke)trying to get my axle back together.Thanks again,yall ROCK!
Congrats and great job, ya done good!:icon_thumby: On a side note "Thank You Back" for your military service, it means alot to all of us.:headbang:

infantry grunt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
thanks,TRS is a great site for most any kind of problem,whether it be mechanical,or support in other life like issues.I have found help in many areas through this site,and all the members,aswell as Jim Oaks for getting it started, I am very thankful to him and ALL the ranger community,its the kind of people here,that make TRS so great,and I am a proud member

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
thanks,TRS is a great site for most any kind of problem,whether it be mechanical,or support in other life like issues.I have found help in many areas through this site,and all the members,aswell as Jim Oaks for getting it started, I am very thankful to him and ALL the ranger community,its the kind of people here,that make TRS so great,and I am a proud member
I'll drink to that brother!:icon_cheers:

infantry grunt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
HOOHAH,I think Im a post a new thread for everyone

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals