• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

screwy head unit

WV Fly Fisherman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
both are 4.o
Transmission
Automatic
my truck is a 99 it still had a factory cassete took it and replaced it with a jvc cd player the wire kit i bought is a straight shot from the factory pig tail then wire conected to the cd player pig tail. but i cant get it to work. i dont know why but my switch power disapered. ( yellow or red wire i think) the only power i have is the constant (green purple stirp) im not sure what i did or didnt do to kill my power feed . Fuse is still good. I plugged in the factory for a control test and it dosent work now either. any help would be greatly appricated Paul

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
The switched power wire behind the radio should be yellow/black. If you have no power at that wire check your fuses again.

WV Fly Fisherman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
both are 4.o
Transmission
Automatic
well see thats just it, that was my first thought but it is fuse number 29 15 amp and it is good. Im kinda wondering if there is fuse the factory amp, but it not hooked up. as far as i know any, like i said,it is straight wired and i still have my constint(green/purple) it reads 14.3 on my voltage tester lol im just clueless

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
you should have a constant 12v and an ignition/accessory 12v lead.

if push comes to shove, run new ones (whichever you are missing)... you can run a constant 12v off of your cigg lighter or 12v power outlet with an inline fuse, and i believe you can just run your accessory lead off of the wires that your dash lights are hooked up to? since those turn on when you turn to accessory mode...

get some other advice backing up what i have said, however i feel like if you are suddenly missing this wire, it may be best to just run new ones... although i'm not sure how you just lost it...

WV Fly Fisherman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
both are 4.o
Transmission
Automatic
:headbang:i think ill just splice into cig lighter. never thought of that thanks for the idea. I dunno why i lost power its wierd. lol i just want some music. thanks for the help

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
:headbang:i think ill just splice into cig lighter. never thought of that thanks for the idea. I dunno why i lost power its wierd. lol i just want some music. thanks for the help
make sure you include an inline fuse

WV Fly Fisherman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
both are 4.o
Transmission
Automatic
I havent hooked it up yet (rigged power) but what ever reason when you hit eject, it spits out the cd. but thats all it does. it goes back to dead. it will also power up to take a cd then go blank. I guess eject and load are powerd by the constant. which i have . i kinda thought about running a wire to the fuse pannel and just jaming it in a fuse port

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I havent hooked it up yet (rigged power) but what ever reason when you hit eject, it spits out the cd. but thats all it does. it goes back to dead. it will also power up to take a cd then go blank. I guess eject and load are powerd by the constant. which i have . i kinda thought about running a wire to the fuse pannel and just jaming it in a fuse port
u might wanna delete that post... i think i heard of someone else posting this, and they got annihilated.

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
u might wanna delete that post... i think i heard of someone else posting this, and they got annihilated.
lol muahahahaha

thats an unsafe idea. sounds handy but nooooooooo it can have very bad results. like people dieing.

lol its cool to ask, and learn youll never get mercilessly harassed, flamed, tared and feather. for trying to learn.

hhhooooowwwww ever if you come off half cocked bragging............thats a nother story.

WV Fly Fisherman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
both are 4.o
Transmission
Automatic
lol i dont want that haha thanks for the tip no, i found a wire to the heat air contol pannel with11.8 and just skined some coating of it and hooked it up. i was kinda worried it might pull to much blow the fuse but i let my truck idle for an hour with the heat blowing and the cd player really loud and it seemed to do just fine. so im happy i got a cd player now:headbang:Thanks alot for the help Paul

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals