• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Screwed up

Stromnoodle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well hello all, So heres my problem. I was out mudding and hit a small pond and have a stock ford ranger v6 4.0 4x4 XL. Water went into my air box and in my engine, then my exhaust tube broke off at the muffler so while i tried to start my truck and let it run it kick out some flames and caught my spare on fire (crappy day) and now my passenger rear tire is locked.... talk about freakin destroyed. I'm hoping tomorrow i can start it with no problems after it sits around but i'm not sure about the rear end, any help or knowledge on this??

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok, so you hydrolocked the engine, tried to start it, but instead of starting it, it some how managed to catch the spare tire on fire, and now a wheel is seized?

youre going to hate me but the parts to fix all that are going to cost probably double what a new 93 xl will cost...

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We needed video of the whole process from beginning to end.

Yes we did.

Stromnoodle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 4.0
Transmission
Manual
ok, so you hydrolocked the engine, tried to start it, but instead of starting it, it some how managed to catch the spare tire on fire, and now a wheel is seized?

youre going to hate me but the parts to fix all that are going to cost probably double what a new 93 xl will cost...
Ok, so ignoring the rear end at this point would it be possible to rebuild the engine from top to bottom or would it be better to start from scratch with another engine? As the plan was to turn her into a full blown racer down the line...just not destroy her before I could be fully equipped :headbang:

Stromnoodle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 4.0
Transmission
Manual
We needed video of the whole process from beginning to end.

Yes we did.
Also I am pissed at myself for not grabbing my gopro before I went out cuz it definitely got sideways and ripping hard.

rfl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so ignoring the rear end at this point would it be possible to rebuild the engine from top to bottom or would it be better to start from scratch with another engine? As the plan was to turn her into a full blown racer down the line...just not destroy her before I could be fully equipped :headbang:
The '93 4.0 is not a great engine for a 'fully blown racer.' To make it strong and durable enough you need to get a set of roller rockers that cost as much as a reman engine from Ford. You will not find a ton in the way of performance parts, and the oil starvation problem (required the roller rockers to fix it) limits what you can throw at it without melting it down.

Stromnoodle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The '93 4.0 is not a great engine for a 'fully blown racer.' To make it strong and durable enough you need to get a set of roller rockers that cost as much as a reman engine from Ford. You will not find a ton in the way of performance parts, and the oil starvation problem (required the roller rockers to fix it) limits what you can throw at it without melting it down.
So would swapping it with a newer 4.0 that has the SOHC be a better decision, as I'm trying to keep it a v6 for turning it into a class 7.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
So would swapping it with a newer 4.0 that has the SOHC be a better decision, as I'm trying to keep it a v6 for turning it into a class 7.
No

Stromnoodle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Have you checked your e-brake cable for fire damage?
And you should name your truck "lucky"
I do have fire damage to a brake cable, but im not sure if its the brake or ebrake.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
to answer the question you posed me, if it's possible to rebuild the top, yes it is, but it is impossible to say if that will work in your case, without dismantling the engine, but by the sounds of it, something is broken good, could be something as simple as a head gasket, or something as major as a bent crank shaft broken con rods and a hole in the side of the block.

as for the ebrake/brake debate, the ebrake cable is a metal braided cable, in a plastic/rubber sheathing for parts, the regular brake is metal tubes for anywhere that doesn't move, and rubber hoses for the frame-suspension jumps, pretty simple to figure out which is which

Stromnoodle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 4.0
Transmission
Manual
to answer the question you posed me, if it's possible to rebuild the top, yes it is, but it is impossible to say if that will work in your case, without dismantling the engine, but by the sounds of it, something is broken good, could be something as simple as a head gasket, or something as major as a bent crank shaft broken con rods and a hole in the side of the block.

as for the ebrake/brake debate, the ebrake cable is a metal braided cable, in a plastic/rubber sheathing for parts, the regular brake is metal tubes for anywhere that doesn't move, and rubber hoses for the frame-suspension jumps, pretty simple to figure out which is which
Well so far I've talked to my buddy who's done the same thing multiple times with his 94 3.0. He suggested flushing the engine a couple times with new oil radiator fluid and tranny fluid. As for the brakes it actually caught both on fire, it did much more damage to the drum line vs the ebrake rubber housing, so I'm thinking I'm going to buy a new line and see if that helps fix that.

So for right now I've got a plan, which includes try everything cheap first then worry if nothing works.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I would take the rear drum off and access the damage. You need to determine what needs to be replaced and just do it. Replacing some external stuff and hope it works is risky business. Cheap and a prayer is not a good idea when it comes to brakes.

Stromnoodle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I would take the rear drum off and access the damage. You need to determine what needs to be replaced and just do it. Replacing some external stuff and hope it works is risky business. Cheap and a prayer is not a good idea when it comes to brakes.
Forsure man. Also thanks for all the input everyone. I will be back on in a couple days and let everyone know what the final verdict is...Hopefully she'll still be rollin after some fixin.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals