• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Scary handling!

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
A vehicle with too much or too little toe will be "darty" and unpredictable.

Caster mainly affects self-cantering, or lack thereof

Personally I installed the dropper radius arm brackets from an STX HI Rider, but NONE of the rest of the High rider kit...

The thing is I did it purely for the additional caster, because I wanted very positive self centering and simply don't trust most alignment shops to do it the way I want it done....

You must remember that alignment specifications are mostly about tire wear and all the rest is about an engineer's guess about how the vehicle will be driven, I do a lot of highway miles and towing so I wanted the truck to be stable...

Also when not towing I figured that a 4.0 powered truck with 4.10 gears might be a bit "tail happy", so I wanted the ability to quickly recover from over-steer
with my additional caster all I need to do to have the steering is to let go of the wheel rim and the steering returns to center... it takes conscious effort to make my trucks steering do anything other than straight ahead...

All that caster also helps damp out oscillations from "trailer sway"...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals