• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Running rough

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've about had it with this non-sense. I just pulled the intake to make sure all the plugs we're gapped correctly, wires on good, bad vacuum connections, all that stuff and the truck is still not running smooth. I have replaced the plugs, wires, fuel filter, both O2 sensors, checked for vacuum leaks, and I have no codes. I also noticed that when I pulled the PCV valve, the screen that it sits on was all gunked up so I cleaned that thinking that that was part of my problem but it didn't seem to help. I take that back, it seemed to run a little bit better but it could have been my imagination because today it was just as bad as before. What's next? I am down on power for sure, I just doesn't seem to rev freely or something. When I was getting on an expressway ramp today it was making a chattering noise when I was gassing it in 4th. Didn't really sound like pinging to me but more of a chirpy chatter. Makes me think of something clutch related. I get a little shudder when when start out too. No slipping though. Help!

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I'm pretty sure now that the sound I am hearing is detonation. It only happens under a decent amount of load. I tried cleaning the mass air sensor with no good results and my converter pipe is less than two years old so I don't think that's the problem either. What am I left with, timing belt? When I check the timing, does it matter which #1 wire it goes on? It should be 10* at idle right?

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'll add that it seems to get worse as the truck warms up.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ur timing is off....check to make sure the CPS is picking up properly, the timing belt may have slipped a tooth....

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What's the cps and how do I check it?

Super95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Black Ford
Engine Size
2.3 SOHC dual plug
Transmission
Manual
Did you mix the spark plug wires? Are plugs correct and seated?

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The first time I changed them I checked the diagram 100 times to be sure and this time I did one at a time. Also, the whole reason I pulled the intake off again was to make sure everything was on tight. So I think they are all ok. I'm going to look into the timing to see if the belt skipped a tooth or something. As far as I know it's the original, so with 150k on it, it can't hurt to replace it anyway.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals