• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Running Rich?

Leprechaun86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L of Fury
Transmission
Manual
Hey whats goin guys been a while since i been on. Well I got an 89 ranger with horrible fuel problems. I filled it ran till empty and it seems im only gettin about 16-17 miles per gallon. It also smells like it runnin rich. Its got new plugs and wires. I dont have the knowledge on how to test the coils. Im thinking it might be the o2 sensor. I also never get to use 5th gear because it seems really under powered and just slowy bogs down even on the wide open highway.

Thanks, Rich.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
tried pulling codes? could be any number of sensors going bad. does the truck heat up ok or does it run cold all the time?

Leprechaun86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L of Fury
Transmission
Manual
It heats up ok it seems but its not throwing a CEL. And could u give me a crash course on pulling a code.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
if you go to the tech section on this site it has some good instructions and diagrams, i personally just bought a 25 dollar code scanner and it works great. alot of times the cel wont come on, but you'll get codes with a key on engine running check. also you might try cleaning the mass air flow sensor, if your truck has one, im not sure if you've got a MAF or a MAP.

Last edited:

Leprechaun86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L of Fury
Transmission
Manual
my truck doesnt have a maf sensor or an obd diagnostics port.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
didn't think you had an MAF but wasn't sure. dunno how you're supposed to get codes without a diagnostics port... but you can start checking out sensors with a multimeter to make sure they are functioning properly. do you have a book for your truck? looking online your 89 should have a diagnostics connector...."Under hood, passenger side, front side of shock tower, mounted on upper fenderwell" either way i would check the collant temp sensor first, it's pretty easy to test. if its not functioning right it could lead to a rich condition, along with your first thought, could be an o2 sensor.

Last edited:

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
how many miles on your truck? what size tires? what gears in the rear-end?

Leprechaun86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L of Fury
Transmission
Manual
The truck has 215,000 miles, its got some 14 in tires, and it gots a hi geared rear end i think its a 4.56. But even when the truck is cold it still lacks power once your in 5th gear and before about 1500 too 2000 rpms.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
14 inch wheels not tires. i was just askin tire size cause i got 31's and i can't use 5th since my rear with 4.56's died on me. did you look again too see if the port was there? or test anything yet? even a prestine running 2.3 dosen't have any power to speak of below 2000 rpms.

rangerboy92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Automatic
ok you have an 89 and you dont have a maf (it should its a gen2)? but i have a 92 and had to change the timing belt and i would bet with 215000 miles on it it could use one and not knowing what has been done to the engine i would say you might need new injectors i have done a lote of work to mine and need a new set

Leprechaun86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L of Fury
Transmission
Manual
The truck has a new timing belt, but has no maf sensor. I have put a new head, head gasket, and various vaccum and coolant lines. Im going to put an oem thermostat and new temp sending unit to see if that doesnt correct or help correct the problem.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
the temp sending unit is for the guage. you want to change the coolant temprature sensor. there is a difference.

Leprechaun86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L of Fury
Transmission
Manual
Sorry mis quote im replacing the one that goes into the block or head. Ill have to double check my haynes.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Check to make sure none of your plug wires are crossing each other...this has been noted as a possible cause for poor fuel consumption...the spark is not getting through to the plugs properly...so not all the gas is being burned off as it should...

Leprechaun86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L of Fury
Transmission
Manual
Thanks mark ill get some of the dividers and see if that helps as well, but one thing for any one who might have an idea why the lack of power in fifth gear, even on flat highway?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals