• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Roof Top Tent or Ground Tent

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The biggest reason I don't have a RTT,

If it's raining and you want to drive the trails, into town, what ever, your packing a wet tent then setting it back up wet to sleep in that night.

Where with a ground tent or popup trailer, it stays reasonably dry inside.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I agree that there is no 1 right answer, there are significant pros and cons to each.

I don't think that anyone mentioned that the RTT is also cooler than the ground tent, since it is up in the air the wind will affect it more. This is an advantage in the summer and a disadvantage in the colder times of the year.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
I'm just a simple person. I've always used a regular tent when needed. No experience with a RTT. I have thought about getting one many times but always talk myself out of it thinking it would be better to get/build a camp trailer. Nothing outrageous just a simple teardrop with awnings. Plus, you have a kitchen, etc.

Alu-Cab-Awning-on-Bigfoot-Teardrop-Trailer.jpg

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The biggest reason I don't have a RTT,

If it's raining and you want to drive the trails, into town, what ever, your packing a wet tent then setting it back up wet to sleep in that night.

Where with a ground tent or popup trailer, it stays reasonably dry inside.
My experience (a bunch of my friends had rooftop tents) is the exact opposite. They stay dry inside just fine. Some of them even have mattresses built in... couple guys I know even folded up their sleeping bags and stuff inside all the time. The outside stays wet and they REALLY suck to put away in cold weather or wet weather - but so do ground tents - and they're not usually covered with mud from the ground.

Mud on the ground and packing up a wet tent suck. I have an awning room and that's #1 of my two complaints, #2 being that it sucks to pack up in the wind and it's difficult for one person to set up. Otherwise we have used the crap out of it and it's been great - just has to be staked down really well.

I started out sleeping in the back of my Explorer when I first was using it for long camping trips. It was great. Literally everyone I know who had a RTT no longer has it and they either have a pickup topper or a camper trailer. Setup/tear down time/difficulty and a high COG, very heavy item to remove when not being used were the main reasons I saw my group go away from RTTs.

This is my ARB tent room setup, there are much cheaper options out there that are just as good.

KIMG0848.JPG

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
but so do ground tents - and they're not usually covered with mud from the ground.
But with a ground tent/tent trailer, you don't need to take it down to go to the store or drive some trails.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yes. That's true. Teardown to run trails during the day is a major deal with my group. It's just a necessary evil... nobody particularly likes it but we never stay in the same spot more than one night. We've talked about doing a base camp type deal and that may change what equipment we have... I would 100% do a ground tent if we went that route.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

If you are going to have a base camp to return to for a couple of nights or more, the ground tent is going to be better overall. The downside is that you have extra dirt to deal with unless you thrown a tarp under it and you have the potential of visits by wildlife. But a a quick setup tent, like the tents eric and snoranger have do make them pretty darn convenient. Plus you don't have a load sitting up high but that kind of tent is pretty bulky. So will take up a significant amount of bed space.

If you are going to be in a new place every night, the RTT is going to be a better choice. The quickest and easiest to setup and take down are the hard shell models. They have the down side of usually being smaller than a bag model but are more resilient to abuse from vegetation on the trail, collect less road dust, you don't have to fight with the bag to get it closed, and the mpg penalty is less since it has a smoother shape and there is nothing flapping in the wind. Of course there is the load being up high that is a negative as well but it is out of the way and leaves more room for gear in the bed.

Both of the above are going to be quicker and more convenient to setup and take down over a traditional staked tent or a soft covered RTT. So, how important is convenience and setup/take down time for you? Which is going to work better for the Vagabond portion of the trip and the camping portion of the trip for the annual meet? Which is going to have more priority for you? I'm guessing the Vagabond portion is going to be night only stays and moving on. Also, what if you do the TAT again? Which will work best for that?

If you had a bigger bed, I would throw out the idea of truck bed camping but that 5" bed is just too cramped to sleep in, even for me. So, that really isn't an option.

You already nixed the idea of an off road trailer. That could have been the answer to both the Vagabond portion and the main meet portion since you could leave it hitched for an over night and disconnect for a more than one night stay. Of course, there is the drag penalty and something extra to worry about clearing something as you are driving along. A small off road trailer mitigates some of that but it could still be a hang up point you wouldn't otherwise have.

You could go the Two-man tent route to save on space and setup/take down time. With practice, you can set one of those up pretty quick and there are models out there that are almost like the Gazelle in setup time and won't require staking down. They can be pricey though and they aren't as small as a traditional stake down tent. Nor as light.

I'm just throwing out food for thought. Whichever way you go is going to be a compromise.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did think about sleeping the back of my truck for the vagabond trip since I do have a 7' bed with a topper.

Kinda hard close close up the back end from the inside.

If you are in the back of the truck that means all of your gear has to be somewhere else. So instead of setting up and packing up a tent you are completely unloading and reloading a truck and all your gear sits outside or at best under the truck all night.

We always put a tarp under a tent FWIW

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I did think about sleeping the back of my truck for the vagabond trip since I do have a 7' bed with a topper.

Kinda hard close close up the back end from the inside.

If you are in the back of the truck that means all of your gear has to be somewhere else. So instead of setting up and packing up a tent you are completely unloading and reloading a truck and all your gear sits outside or at best under the truck all night.

We always put a tarp under a tent FWIW
If you're interested in looking into the truck bed camping rabbit hole. Facebook has a group on the subject. As far as closing the back end, some have attached a strap or a rope to the tailgate and the lift gate to close them. You could rig up a handle to operate the latch for the lift gate. There were some ideas about locking the lift gate from the inside too.

As far as the gear, that is a problem to work out. Some people build cabinets and shelves. Some do platforms with drawers and access panels so they can get into the drawers when the truck is closed up. Even others do a bit of both. But with you having the slide in, then you have something you need to take apart and store when you don't want it in the bed.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The other bummer of RTTs is that you don't have room to stand up and get dressed or whatever. So everyone I know, who had a RTT, also had an annex for dressing/cooking/pooping/etc. At that point you are setting up a ground tent anyway.

I tried the tarp-under-the-tent thing and it works great if you have a pickup that you can toss a wadded up muddy tarp into the back of. I quit using it when I camp in the Explorer - not a handy place to put a dirty tarp, I just live with the mud on the tent.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you're interested in looking into the truck bed camping rabbit hole. Facebook has a group on the subject. As far as closing the back end, some have attached a strap or a rope to the tailgate and the lift gate to close them. You could rig up a handle to operate the latch for the lift gate. There were some ideas about locking the lift gate from the inside too.

As far as the gear, that is a problem to work out. Some people build cabinets and shelves. Some do platforms with drawers and access panels so they can get into the drawers when the truck is closed up. Even others do a bit of both. But with you having the slide in, then you have something you need to take apart and store when you don't want it in the bed.
I kinda keep going back to a trailer of some sort. Then everything has a home and i dont have to drag the christmas tree out to get to the camping tote. Are we taking the F-150, Ranger or Bronco? Who cares, any of them can pull it.

The other bummer of RTTs is that you don't have room to stand up and get dressed or whatever. So everyone I know, who had a RTT, also had an annex for dressing/cooking/pooping/etc. At that point you are setting up a ground tent anyway.

I tried the tarp-under-the-tent thing and it works great if you have a pickup that you can toss a wadded up muddy tarp into the back of. I quit using it when I camp in the Explorer - not a handy place to put a dirty tarp, I just live with the mud on the tent.
We always did it more to help keep stuff from stuff from stabbing thru the floor.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You could get a service topper if you were worried about getting locked in by the tailgate. This one and my Chevy topper at work can both be opened from inside.

I scored this lil fella for free and my plan was to do exactly that with it but it's a hair too long for a Ranger (fits a Dakota) and modifying it to fit turned out to be a huge undertaking.

IMG_0388.JPG

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I’m still interested in the Intech Flyer… but someone said Vagabonds don’t need no trailers.

6007421E-D96F-4C29-A6C2-9C5DC70DCD45.jpeg

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You could get a service topper if you were worried about getting locked in by the tailgate. This one and my Chevy topper at work can both be opened from inside.

I scored this lil fella for free and my plan was to do exactly that with it but it's a hair too long for a Ranger (fits a Dakota) and modifying it to fit turned out to be a huge undertaking.

View attachment 101673
I saw one of those awhile ago that was in a newer (98-11) longbed Ranger that was tempting.

I mulled it but I had a hard to committing my truck that hard to it. My truck is pretty versatile how it is, I don't know if that style of topper would help it do much more than "overland" which I only do once or twice a year. I have heard that style of door is supposed to be best for keeping dust out though.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15

When I tent camped, I'd put the tarp on the inside. It was large enough to go up along the edges (about 3") and around the corners, causing rain water to go 'around' the tent while keeping the floor dry. I learned that one the hard way

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals