• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

roller lifter

joey74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
what the differents between a roller cam and stock cam? The reason i'm asking is i have the parts for roller lifters. I've been told that with roller lifters you have to use a roller cam.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A roller cam will have steeper ramps. So that the valve is lifted off the seat to full open quicker, making for more time for fuel and air to get in the combustion chamber. A cam for flat tappet lifters will have a gentler slope. You could probably use roller lifters on a flat tappet cam, but not the other way. The edge of a flat tappet lifter will dig into a roller cam and ruin it quickly.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Don't use roller lifters with a flat tappet cam, it might work but if it doesn't you'll have metal particles throughout the engine. Then the engine would need to be completely stripped down and the block hot tanked by a machine shop before it can be reassembled.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Roller cams/tappets and flat tappet cams are incompatible to mix. You might get away with it short term, but eventually it will destroy the cam and/or the lifters. And maybe take the rest of the engine with them.

Why you ask?
A flat tappet isn't actually "flat" it just appears so because the radius of the curve is so large*. But if you put them on a sheet of glass, you will find they rock slightly versus sit solid. The corresponding cam has the lobs ground with a very subtle taper. The combination of the taper and the curve results in the tappet rotating in the lifter bore. That way the contact position is constantly changing on both the lifter and the cam, so wear is very, very slow. The larger radius and subtle taper allow the the oil film to distrubute the load

In contrast, as roller cam is machined flat to match the flat of the roller in the roller tappet therefore maximizing the contact surface.

If you put flat tappets with a roller cam**, the contact postion on the tapper never changes and after very short period the tappet wears and metal shavings fall into oil causing expensive damage.

If you put roller tappets on a "flat" tappet cam, only the edge of the cam is in contact with the roller and after short period, the tappet wears the cam or vice versa and again metal shavings fall into oil causing expensive damage.

* This assumes your cam manufacturer knows what they are doing. Failing to machine taper/radius is most common issue on reground cams/lifters, 2nd is grinding through the hard surface - most cams/lifters are only induction hardened a few thousands. They heat the cam white hot, then oil quench. But the heating was such a thin amount, you can handle the cam with bare hands right away. Its actually scary to watch the 1st time - someone handling cam that was white hot a moment ago.

**If your roller cam lift rate is so radical that it exceeds the edge of the flat tappet, the tappet will dig into the cam and failure will be almost instant.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Roller cams/tappets and flat tappet cams are incompatible to mix. You might get away with it short term, but eventually it will destroy the cam and/or the lifters. And maybe take the rest of the engine with them.

Why you ask?
A flat tappet isn't actually "flat" it just appears so because the radius of the curve is so large*. But if you put them on a sheet of glass, you will find they rock slightly versus sit solid. The corresponding cam has the lobs ground with a very subtle taper. The combination of the taper and the curve results in the tappet rotating in the lifter bore. That way the contact position is constantly changing on both the lifter and the cam, so wear is very, very slow. The larger radius and subtle taper allow the the oil film to distrubute the load

In contrast, as roller cam is machined flat to match the flat of the roller in the roller tappet therefore maximizing the contact surface.

If you put flat tappets with a roller cam**, the contact postion on the tapper never changes and after very short period the tappet wears and metal shavings fall into oil causing expensive damage.

If you put roller tappets on a "flat" tappet cam, only the edge of the cam is in contact with the roller and after short period, the tappet wears the cam or vice versa and again metal shavings fall into oil causing expensive damage.

* This assumes your cam manufacturer knows what they are doing. Failing to machine taper/radius is most common issue on reground cams/lifters, 2nd is grinding through the hard surface - most cams/lifters are only induction hardened a few thousands. They heat the cam white hot, then oil quench. But the heating was such a thin amount, you can handle the cam with bare hands right away. Its actually scary to watch the 1st time - someone handling cam that was white hot a moment ago.

**If your roller cam lift rate is so radical that it exceeds the edge of the flat tappet, the tappet will dig into the cam and failure will be almost instant.
Thanks for the refresh. I had forgot most of that info...

joey74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys what would be a good cam and what size should I use 5.0 bored 40 over?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
did it come stock with a flat tappet cam or roller cam? The overbore makes less difference than you would expect, porting the head along with a mild cam will make more difference than anything I'm pretty sure...

Buying lifters anymore is gambling, I wasn't in the mood on my Explorer last year so I just re ran the stock roller lifters but threw in a mild cam and heavy valve springs...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And end use of truck is huge in cam selection...

joey74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
did it come stock with a flat tappet cam or roller cam? The overbore makes less difference than you would expect, porting the head along with a mild cam will make more difference than anything I'm pretty sure...

Buying lifters anymore is gambling, I wasn't in the mood on my Explorer last year so I just re ran the stock roller lifters but threw in a mild cam and heavy valve springs...
It has flat tappet

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What heads, what intake, what exhaust?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals