• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

rodeo ranger

khoward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my 83 ranger on the way home the other day started bucking and cutting out on me i down shifted and it straitened up for a minute and started again it done it for several miles but only in 3rd and 4th gear it has a brand new 2.3 in it every thing under the hood is new except the carb (not exaggerating) it has a mustang 2.3 with 2bbl carb (freshly rebuilt) new exaust new clutch new everything can not figure it out and it drives good for the first 10 miles then it starts anyone have a clue as to what could be causing this

SMTGREG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MGB
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
Transmission
Manual
What ignition system are you using? Could also be a fuel problem trash in the needle and seat, fuel filter, fuel pump.

khoward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

khoward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
going to replace my fuel filters and reseal the plate that is blocking off my egr and see if it helps any other ideas

khoward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok it didnt help appears that it only does it when the engine is warm but i let it run for about an hour and a half sitting at idle and it ran fine got in it and it started right off bucking im at witts end anybody have any ideas

khoward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
A carbed engine that bucks like that usually has a problem with fuel delivery...your fuel pump may be going south...or changing the filters as you've decided may help...but it could also be your choke is not working properly...as in closing when it should be open...

If you have a manual choke then check that the linkage is connected...if you have an auto choke then try to disable it and stick a long bolt into the carb (not longer than the top of the carb, but long enough to keep the butterfly opened...

khoward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i had electric choke but disconnected it long time ago and there is nothing there to stop the butterfly from closing ive been wanting to put a manual choke on it but cant find one i will try that but why would it only do it when it gets warm

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
i had electric choke but disconnected it long time ago and there is nothing there to stop the butterfly from closing ive been wanting to put a manual choke on it but cant find one i will try that but why would it only do it when it gets warm
Not sure if it's the choke at all, but you might try just holding the butterfly open and see if it improves things...

Other than that, the manual fuel pump could be wonky, or your carb is leaking (vacuum)...or you may have a vacuum leak elsewhere...

When I had a FI Tempo, it would run fine for hours and then suddenly start bucking or just simply die out...it would start right up after I coasted to the side of the road and it just about drove me nuts...turned out to be the fuel pump in the tank had a loose seal (a known issue with that model) and replacing the pump fixed it.

You might try bypassing the manual pump with a low pressure electric pump...if you can borrow one, that is...but to buy one may be more costly than simply replacing the manual one you have...

I don't usually recommend blindly swapping out parts because I've been through that myself and it gets very expensive...

Check for vac hoses that may be off or broken first...a simple fix if you can find it...

khoward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i put a new super stock coil on it today and it cleared right up thanks anyway if it starts back i know were to start though

khoward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok it started back the day after i had the module checked and they said it was good but dont know if it is accurate seeing how it only does it when warm im ready to throw in the towel any help would be great

schmoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83 2.8 ranger
Make / Model
84 2.3 4x4 rang
Transmission
Manual
does it still have the cat?

when mine did this it was the coil wire. it takes a beating
with the coil on the fender.

khoward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
cat whats that lol! no it has been bypassed

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals