• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

rod trouble

scotiascrapiron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 soon to be 393
Transmission
Automatic
bought 393w crank,using stock rods and 302 pistons,had crank balanced. installed right bank and everything looked good,tried to install #1 piston and both rods won't fit on journal. what would be my next best course of action? should i try to machine down the sides of the rods? anybody got any thoughts?

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
YIKES! sorry for the bad luck... ive thought about building one of those motors for a long time. i probably would have the rods machined.

scotiascrapiron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 soon to be 393
Transmission
Automatic
YIKES! sorry for the bad luck... ive thought about building one of those motors for a long time. i probably would have the rods machined.
wonder how much I can have ground off and still be safe? I would hate to go to much and have rods flying all over the place.

Combs Customs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 1993 /19
Make / Model
Ford / Ford / F
Engine Size
4.0L / 4.0L /4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I hate to ask. You do have the bearings installed the correct way right? I know there is a radius on the side of the rod journal, and the bearings should have a matching radius. That would be best case scenario.

scotiascrapiron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 soon to be 393
Transmission
Automatic
I hate to ask. You do have the bearings installed the correct way right? I know there is a radius on the side of the rod journal, and the bearings should have a matching radius. That would be best case scenario.
yea the tang on the bearing is in the slot on the rod. it kinda surprises me that the clearances are so far off because I used the bearings that eagle recommended and i'm not even close to having enough room for both rods.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Do you have the rods turned the right way on the pistons?

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
before you do anything, now that i have thought more about it i would contact someone a ESP, and find out if there should be a need to have the rods machined, or if there is something else they could recomend to solve the problem.

scotiascrapiron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 soon to be 393
Transmission
Automatic
Do you have the rods turned the right way on the pistons?
the rods are on the piston so the bearing locks are facing the outside of the motor and the valve reliefs are eyebrow in towards the intake.thats right isn't it? a guy on another site suggested narrow bearings. How much extra clearance will they give me?

Last edited:

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
the rods are on the piston so the bearing locks are facing the outside of the motor and the valve reliefs are eyebrow in towards the intake.thats right isn't it? a guy on another site suggested narrow bearings. How much extra clearance will they give me?
actually that is wrong... the valve reliefs should be on the exhaust manifold side of the piston, think about it... the pushrods are on the upper side of the head (close to the intake), the valves are opposite, on the lower(exhaust) side of the head, angled out... again toward the exhaust, therefore when the valve travels toward the piston it would need the relief on the lower (exhaust) side of the piston.

as for the rods, ive always installed them with the stamped numbers toward the outside of the motor corrosponding with the side of the motor the rod is installed in.

does that make sense?

scotiascrapiron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 soon to be 393
Transmission
Automatic
actually that is wrong... the valve reliefs should be on the exhaust manifold side of the piston, think about it... the pushrods are on the upper side of the head (close to the intake), the valves are opposite, on the lower(exhaust) side of the head, angled out... again toward the exhaust, therefore when the valve travels toward the piston it would need the relief on the lower (exhaust) side of the piston.

as for the rods, ive always installed them with the stamped numbers toward the outside of the motor corrosponding with the side of the motor the rod is installed in.

does that make sense?
www.kb-silvolite.com/downloads/KB-Hyper-Automotive.pdf
this would be for the 351w

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

does that make sense?
:nono::nono: You've got it backwards. The valvereliefs used are on the intake side of the piston. The radius side of the rod has to be on the fillet (radiused side) of the crank journal.The numbered side of the rod does go toward the outside of the engine, that puts the radius side of the rod in the correct position with the crank fillets. If there's a notch on the piston top, that always is on the front, toward the front of the engine.

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
:nono::nono: You've got it backwards. The valvereliefs used are on the intake side of the piston. The radius side of the rod has to be on the fillet (radiused side) of the crank journal.The numbered side of the rod does go toward the outside of the engine, that puts the radius side of the rod in the correct position with the crank fillets. If there's a notch on the piston top, that always is on the front, toward the front of the engine.
oh yeah, i was sitting on my head when i was contemplating the piston orientation! :icon_rofl: so i had it backwards.

scotiascrapiron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 soon to be 393
Transmission
Automatic
man you fellas are really being alot of help,it's nice to know that I can come here and get useful info. THANKS!! I called ESP today and their tech guy said the the narrow bearings should fix my problem. where I bought the crank needs to call them to,because they are the ones that recommended the wrong bearings in the first place.no milling on the rods but 3x the price for narrow performance bearings.

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
SWEET! glad you got some good info!
:icon_thumby:

at least from ESP!

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You shouldn't need narrower than stock bearings at all. Unless the crank has narrower than stock journals

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals