• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Reverse failure.....

V6NavyBlueRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1997 Ford Ranger XLT with a 3.0L V6 engine with a 4R44E transmission. When I start it up in the morning and put it into reverse it will take a while to kick in and start to move and sometimes will drop in causing the overdrive light to flash and a reverse failure code to be sent. I have replaced the servo o-ring and tranny pan gasket and cleaned the tranny pan but it didn't help. I am afraid it is damaging my transmission. HELP, I don't know what to do!!! Thank you for any help.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had one that did similar. I simply let it run a bit in the mornings and then put it in reverse. It worked well thataway until a few years went by and I traded it in.
I suspected a drain back of the fluid somehow while sitting. But outside of the cold start it never had any other tranny problems.
Big Jim

V6NavyBlueRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yes that does seem to help. I usually don't have time too so that is why I was wondering for a fix. Thank you for your input. I have been researching and there are updated shift kits for the transmission that say they are supposed to fix the delayed reverse failure and I ordered one, so hopefully that will fix it! :D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'98
'94
'98
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
2.5, 2.3 & 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Trying to be a better Christian than non-christians.
I have a 1998 Ford Ranger XLT with a 3.0L V6 engine with a 4R44E transmission and also have no reverse, removed it and almost finished tearing it down. It will get a master/super rebuild. The reverse servo has two o-rings, not one and also its own gasket (not mentioned). The band could be cracked and it is in the very back on the tranny which cannot be replaced on vehicle. You might also have a gasket tear on the main control unit.

V6NavyBlueRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ya I saw something about that band breaking but didn't want to get into the tranny or pay for a rebuild. I hope that this kit I ordered will fix it so it is a cheap fix and doesn't break the bank for inner tranny work.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'98
'94
'98
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
2.5, 2.3 & 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Trying to be a better Christian than non-christians.
As it turns out, my reverse band was broken in two. Everything will cost less than $300, including replacing my snap ring pliers.

V6NavyBlueRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That is good it didn't cost too much, I'm glad to know thank you. In case this kit doesn't fix it I will look into that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals