• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

reverse dents (dents from undercarriage)

Hesstopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L DOHC Duratec
Transmission
Manual
at first I thought it was the suspension pushing the truck bed up from rough riding (some of our roads here have pot holes I can bath in). But after using a 2x4 and hammer to get the dents out (used another board to check level on the raised portion of the bed) I noted a few days later they were back... and I purposely didn't drive on the rough roads to keep it from happening.

On the driver side it is slightly worse, the bed was so push upward that the seam was starting to come apart. I used some silicone sealant before hammering down to prevent any rust issues (know, prime & paint would be better).

today I crawled underneath and examined the bottom of the bed. NOT A MARK. I couldn't even see where it was pushed up. Tomorrow (later today, after I sleep) I am going to have a friend spot tap the spots from above while I'm underneath and try to locate what is causing this. It is possible that I didn't push the "dents" down enough and noticed them from another angle and now am thinking them new-- possible but I don't think it is likely.

I am open to all suggestions and will gladly let you know how they turn out.

What is frustrating is that I purchased this truck used a month or two back and have been correcting a list of things the previous owner did-- none of which looks oem/factory or even Ford "approved." I'm not under and illusion that this truck will be fawned over as a collectible, just know that a truck without a beat up bed, red flames, wires all over the cab, a 10,000lbs rated hitch, brake assist designed for a 1-ton truck, and speaker cable seen at AC/DC concerts has a higher resale value than one that looks like it rested comfortably on blocks for the past few years.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did you do a carfax? i'm thinking there may be the possibility it has been wrecked and the frame was torqued/bent and not straightened. i would check that first at a good frame shop. just a thought.

Hesstopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L DOHC Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Carfax came with the truck, it was clean.

1 owner, local-- the dealer said the guy used it on the highway. (109,000 miles on a 2006: purchased May 2010) Given the high miles it had to be. Although there was a brake assist installed and a 10,000lbs rated hitch installed as well so I'm wondering if he didn't do a lot of pulling on the highway. Use the truck to go get other small vehicles and tow back.

I'll ask around my autocross friends and see if anyone is knowledgeable with frame work. There is still some investigation I can do, just wanted to throw the idea out there and see what popped up.

Thanks for the response.

strvger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you remember the dealer saying he traded up to a bigger truck, you may be right. he may very well been doing more with this truck than he should have given it's size and power. good luck with this.

strvger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
almost forgot. double check all your body mounts and bushings. on a 2006, they should still be good, but if the po really abused it, they could be trashed back there, allowing the bed to move around and bounce against the frame. just another thought.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals