• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing the hub bearings and possible axle on a 98 ranger.

speedfreak87

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
When it snowed on Halloween I found my 4wd didn't want to work, replaced the t-case motor, and it was ok, had some other issue with the hubs, bought new AVM manual hubs, and when I took the old ones out, the pass side, was rusted, lost of rust. Not sure if the bearing went bad and allowed water to get in or what, but I decided to replace it anyway, also, the axle splines have rust on the also, I cleaned the whole thing the best I could but like I said, I'm replacing the bearings anyway. I read in the tech library, which was somewhat helpful, I have a chilton manual and the huge ass two book tech manual... neither of them covered the snap ring on the axle.. and I've been reading that it needs to be replaced?? where can I get a new one, and what size is it? I want to have extra stuff in the event I screw up the old one. Also, once that snap ring is out, the axle should just pop out of the hub bearing correct?

Centma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
The snapring is a ford part only, was $18 ea at my ford dealer, but (later found) $12 at tascapartsparts.com. Don't have the p/n here on the road in Europe. I removed mine in pieces with a screwdriver pry, all my snap ring plier stuff didn't reach. With that ring gone, the bearing assembly came right off. Make sure you get the right bearing (4wheel abs or rear wheel only abs is the choice).

speedfreak87

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
They should be the correct ones. I got them from 1aauto.com and supposedly fit my truck, with ABS.

Now I just need the stupid snap ring.

speedfreak87

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Found the part number. # F87A-3B457-AA

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals