• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing ball joints.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Raybestos "Professional Grade" were the ones to get (these were formerly the Spicer joints everyone mentions). Unfortunately Affinia Group (Raybestos' parent company) was recently bought out by Federal Mogul (parent of Moog) so it remains to be seen if quality goes down the crapper.

Napa's joints (at least their higher grade stuff) were made by Raybestos, so the same unknown would apply to them too.

What you will want to look for in a joint (at least with the lower joints) is a very bright shiny stainless-steel appearance of the ball joint stud (not plain dull-looking steel). A Raybestos (Affinia)-made joint will also have a gold-zinc colored body (the ones made under Federal Mogul I think will have a black body w/similar bright stud).

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
All hail the mighty ziptie!
I bought all new Moog ball joints and put them on my truck just after I bought it in November, this was before I joined TRS though. I've seen the bad rep they've gotten but personally they've been on for a year and I've had no clunking, no squeaks, and no issues of any kind with them. From everything I've heard Spicer is definitely the premium brand, but for basic truck stuff the Moog joints work just fine for me.

Mike1919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I bought all new Moog ball joints and put them on my truck just after I bought it in November, this was before I joined TRS though. I've seen the bad rep they've gotten but personally they've been on for a year and I've had no clunking, no squeaks, and no issues of any kind with them. From everything I've heard Spicer is definitely the premium brand, but for basic truck stuff the Moog joints work just fine for me.
Are the boots still intact and good on them. If so maybe I'll go with those? They kind of seem easier to get.

Mike1919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Raybestos "Professional Grade" were the ones to get (these were formerly the Spicer joints everyone mentions). Unfortunately Affinia Group (Raybestos' parent company) was recently bought out by Federal Mogul (parent of Moog) so it remains to be seen if quality goes down the crapper.

Napa's joints (at least their higher grade stuff) were made by Raybestos, so the same unknown would apply to them too.

What you will want to look for in a joint (at least with the lower joints) is a very bright shiny stainless-steel appearance of the ball joint stud (not plain dull-looking steel). A Raybestos (Affinia)-made joint will also have a gold-zinc colored body (the ones made under Federal Mogul I think will have a black body w/similar bright stud).

So it looks like the ones in the link are right. I heard moog wasn't bad, its just the grease boot? Is that correct?

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
The important thing is to not get the lowest grade of any brand. Moog, Raybestos and others have various levels of quality(grades). Professional grade in Raybestos is good. I don't know the top quality of Moog. It seems the grease boots that are blue are the better quality ones.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have been stockpiling the better Raybestos for my D35.

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
All hail the mighty ziptie!
The important thing is to not get the lowest grade of any brand. Moog, Raybestos and others have various levels of quality(grades). Professional grade in Raybestos is good. I don't know the top quality of Moog. It seems the grease boots that are blue are the better quality ones.
What he said. My grease boots are fine.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
So it looks like the ones in the link are right. I heard moog wasn't bad, its just the grease boot? Is that correct?
No, I've had several Moog joints (the joint itself) fail too.

I had put all Moog joints in mine when I did the original build on my BII. One developed play after just 5K miles, the other one was sloppy after maybe 8K. Thinking it was a fluke because I did have a grease boot also fail, I bought another Moog joint to replace the one that failed at 5K (this before I found the other one loose at 8K). That additional joint also started getting sloppy around 10K (removing doubt maybe my first two simply came from a bad batch).
Meanwhile the Spicers I've had in my Ranger since around '03 are still good & solid at ~80K, and the Raybestos joints I replaced the Moogs with on my BII are also all still tight at roughly 25K.

Another observation:
When greasing the Moog joints, the grease always came out from around the joint a very opaque dark gray-metallic color...
With the Spicer/Raybestos joints, the grease always comes out the same color it went in, maybe just having a slight brownish tinge to it.
Obviously the grease coming out of the Moog joints was full of metal shavings from the joints wearing themselves away internally.

I won't touch a Moog joint for a Dana axle again.

FWIW, the Moog joints I had were labeled "The Problem Solver", they came in a yellow & blue box and were "supposedly" the best ones Carquest sold at the time. They were not cheap (within a few $$$ of what Spicer Pro-Grade ones would've sold for).

Last edited:

Mike1919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No, I've had several Moog joints (the joint itself) fail too.

I had put all Moog joints in mine when I did the original build on my BII. One developed play after just 5K miles, the other one was sloppy after maybe 8K. Thinking it was a fluke because I did have a grease boot also fail, I bought another Moog joint to replace the one that failed at 5K (this before I found the other one loose at 8K). That additional joint also started getting sloppy around 10K (removing doubt maybe my first two simply came from a bad batch).
Meanwhile the Spicers I've had in my Ranger since around '03 are still good & solid at ~80K, and the Raybestos joints I replaced the Moogs with on my BII are also all still tight at roughly 25K.

Another observation:
When greasing the Moog joints, the grease always came out from around the joint a very opaque dark gray-metallic color...
With the Spicer/Raybestos joints, the grease always comes out the same color it went in, maybe just having a slight brownish tinge to it.
Obviously the grease coming out of the Moog joints was full of metal shavings from the joints wearing themselves away internally.

I won't touch a Moog joint for a Dana axle again.

FWIW, the Moog joints I had were labeled "The Problem Solver", they came in a yellow & blue box and were "supposedly" the best ones Carquest sold at the time. They were not cheap (within a few $$$ of what Spicer Pro-Grade ones would've sold for).
So now where would i purchase these better quality ones? Napa?

ghunt81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
One thing I've found with a lot of the chassis parts I've bought lately, be they Moog, Raybestos or AC Delco, they're all made in China. I don't know if Spicer is or not, haven't bought anything of theirs lately that I can remember.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals