• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replace rear quarter panel?

MeanMark87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
Transmission
Manual
So I have been debating about whether to try and repair my rusted out quarter panels/wheel arches on the B2 and I'm starting to lean towards just buying body panels.

I've never been big on doing bodywork before, but with this truck I want it to look nice. So my question is, if I bought a panel like this one:

http://rustrepair.com/PANELS/84-BRONCO-II-WHEEL-ARCH-BED-968449L.HTM

how would I go about installing it, considering the rear section of the cab is basically all one piece? I am guessing I'd have to cut out the old panel and somehow slip this one in its place and spot weld it. Another big question is how to make it work with the rear window so everything is seamless.

Or, should I just man up and try to fiberglass/bondo/paint the whole thing....

Any info's appreciated.

The Fonz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Many of these body panels are held on by a series of rivets, its just a matter of finding those rivets and drilling them out. Then you grind down the excess metal so you can lay the new panel flat. If you have a welder and the proper tools then you can pop a series of hole punches in the top of the new metal and weld the piece down.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I was told by my local body shop you have to cut out the old panel extremely carefully and then weld in the new panel, there are no rivets on these trucks. I was also told by this shop that it would be $1200 to repair 1 side with the rust issues that didn't include paint. Which eventually I will have done going to have to save money for a year to do it, but I'm planning on doing the exterior and getting the rust problems fixed, then I'll dig into the interior myself.

MeanMark87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
Transmission
Manual
I was told by my local body shop you have to cut out the old panel extremely carefully and then weld in the new panel, there are no rivets on these trucks. I was also told by this shop that it would be $1200 to repair 1 side with the rust issues that didn't include paint. Which eventually I will have done going to have to save money for a year to do it, but I'm planning on doing the exterior and getting the rust problems fixed, then I'll dig into the interior myself.
I was gonna say, there are really no rivets to pop out. And even if you could take the whole panel off, it'd include pieces up around the windows that the new panel doesn't come with.

I'm kind of waffling on the decision of how to approach it. At least if I duraglassed the whole thing and did the bondo/paint route it'd be cheaper and the only extra thing would be my time and labor. I don't know that I trust myself to do those kind of precise cuts to put the panel in.

BUT

At least with the new panel there's a clean slate to start with. Just install, prep, and paint.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I know I don't have the capability or the patience to do the job myself so I'm not even going to attempt it LOL. There just certain things I know to leave for the experts and body work is one of them.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
This is a weld in patch panel. It is not a full quarter as Ford made them. Even they have to be welded. But this needs considerable welding and bodywork. Don't think there is no bodywork here; there is a lot. This is the work I do in restorations.

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it doesn't fit, force it!
You don't necessarily have to use the entire new panel, you could trim it down to just what you need to replace if it would make it easier. Once you have decided how much of the panel you are going to use, place the replacement panel on top of your old one, and trace the around the edges. Then cut inside the lines, remember you can always trim a little more off, but it is a lot harder to replace it once it is gone! Carefully test fit, trim, repeat, until all your edges match up cleanly. To weld it up is going to take a while, using a whole bunch of tack welds, moving around so you don't overheat and warp the panels. This is not really an easy or quick process, but can be done by being patient and taking your time.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
This is a weld in patch panel. It is not a full quarter as Ford made them. Even they have to be welded. But this needs considerable welding and bodywork. Don't think there is no bodywork here; there is a lot. This is the work I do in restorations.
I completely agree, this is the type of stuff I will leave to the professionals. I don't know much about body work to begin with, other than its completely out of my knowledge base, and if I go replacing things like this on my Bronco 2 I want it done right the first time, if I try to do it I'll end up with a disaster and more money wasted than if I would have just paid a body shop to do it in the first place.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals