• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rental cars

LearningStick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
I will need one for a long drive, probably a Toyota Corolla or Chevy Malibu, the midsize and fullsize sedan fleet models with CVT. Whatever I get will be much newer than anything else I drove, my first CVT experience, and my first mountain roads experience. If they are approximately equal in quality, then I would pick the Malibu for more luggage space. Or the only car available in that class may be some other thing like a Hyundai or VW.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Quality?

We rented a Dodge Journey when we went to Hawaii and it was great. That is a pretty low bar. But it is also a rental car, you are not stuck with it forever and ever.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I've rented a bunch of cars traveling for work, I'm currently away from home and have a Hyundai Accent, it's not bad, no frills, not even any arm rests in the middle up front but at least it doesn't have the auto stop that must stuff has... a few years ago some of the first to have electric power steering had no road feel and were weird... my least favorite I've had have been Nissan's, mainly the Rogue, horrid throttle response, couldn't see anything, I think it had auto stop... but that was the before the complete redesign they did about a year ago... for the most part I don't give a rats patootie what I get for a rental car... I've had mostly bottom of the barrel stuff but haven't had a horrible experience yet... heck I didn't even mind the Chevy Spark or whatever I had last month, in big cities that I'm not used to small isn't bad...

I don't think much has a CVT anymore, they just have a bunch of gears in the trans, less warranty issues, the Fiesta with that weird transmission I had a couple years ago drove strange but I didn't mind, apparently they go out all the time though...

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i currently have a rogue sport and it sucks. nissan is repainting my titan so they gave me this brand spanking new rogue and it further reinforces my thoughts that i never ever want to own a rogue.

its got everything on it, which is cool because i can play with the surround view cameras to see 360 degrees while backing and it has that self steering set up, which i am not impressed with. it bounces back and forth from line to line instead of staying in the middle. its a cvt too but not as impressive a cvt as the full sized pathfinder the loaned me last christmas.

when the army send me tdy i always get a rental as part of the assignment, so i have had three or four. the cruz was a very nice car. the rest were so uninteresting, i cannot even remember what vehicles i have had. i think the cruz sticks in my head because i had it for two weeks though. the other tdy trips were only three to four days in each state and then three or four days in the next state so hardly any time driving around exploring versus that two weeks in fort Leavenworth so i got to go all over that area of the state on the weekends

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
When I have to rent a car I don't make it a boring cvt pos.

It's something as luxurious as I can find that's way out of my price range to purchase lol.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
When I was traveling for work, I rented so many cars the rental companies would give your their most expensive cars for the price of a midsize sedan.

Mercedes, Audis, Mustangs, Challengers, Jeep’s.

It was nice, but sometimes the customers would complain because they think they have to pay extra for this.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Rental Cars - Drive them like they're stolen, then put them back where they belong.

LearningStick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
What I've determined so far is don't get a Nissan or anything taller than a car. Rollover is a serious risk on twisty mountain roads and maybe also the prairie crosswinds. Tires matter but I don't see that mentioned at any rental site.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
What I've determined so far is don't get a Nissan or anything taller than a car. Rollover is a serious risk on twisty mountain roads and maybe also the prairie crosswinds. Tires matter but I don't see that mentioned at any rental site.
Rollover is a driver thing. Not a vehicle thing. Hundreds of thousands of Jeeps, SUV's, pickups, etc. On mountain roads with no rollovers. I drive a 93 Ranger with 35" tires, 6" suspension lift and no anti-sway bars on mountain roads all the time.

It's the driver. Not the vehicle.

BTW, What's the fastest car ever made?

A rental car.

Last edited:

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Tractor trailers need to pass mtn roads all the time, they do alright lol.

Don't over-think things.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
As Jeff Foxworthy once said in response to the question about additional insurance on the rental “yes I do because you have a Fiesta that’s about to see more air time than a skateboard at the X games!”

I haven’t had many rentals, but the first one I ended up with was a brand new Monte Carlo back in the mid 2000s and it was a pretty nice ride. Had like 150 miles on it when I got it. I wasn’t getting charged for mileage so it pretty much had an extra zero when they got it back. My biggest fear with it was I had pretty much driven nothing but manuals to that point and the shifter was on the console and I was worried I’d blow the trans by forgetting what I was in and doing something unwelcome to the shifter at speed. Had to turn it in early and they gave me a Neon for the last two days. That thing was a huge POS. Most current rental cars are acceptable though. One thing to keep in mind though, not all vehicles have a spare and if the rental doesn’t have a spare and you get a flat, they want you to wait until they send someone out to put a spare on or swap out cars. They will charge you extra if you use fix-a-flat stuff.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
..They will charge you extra if you use fix-a-flat stuff.
Only if they find out.

I only get rentals to bring a bunch of people to concerts.

During the 24 hours I have the rental, an entire years worth of cigarettes and joints get smoked in the thing and I've never once got dinged with the 100$ smoking fee or whatever.

Ymmv.

LearningStick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
The decision to get a fullsize sedan was mostly financial. Anything bigger starts at an extra $200/week, plus extra gas. The Camry's seat hurt my butt with 10 hours of driving daily. I couldn't add a cushion because the steering wheel was too low. It has too many nanny features. The worst is lane drift alert, with the steering wheel jerk back when I changed lanes.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
The worst is lane drift alert, with the steering wheel jerk back when I changed lanes.
try using the blinkers when changing lanes. It eliminates this issue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals