• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Removing engine and transmission

Black2000Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Good morning TRS!
This coming Monday I will be removing the engine and transmission out of my Ranger, and putting in a different motor and transmission. My question is, if I disconnect the wiring harness from the truck, I then wont have to remove every electrical connection (sensors etc) until after I have the engine out, correct?

Second question, I can pull the engine+transmission out at the same time without disconnecting them correct? I will be installing a new clutch into the new engine+tranny, but was hoping to do that while its out of the truck as well, so I can just sort of yank it all out as one, and put the new stuff in as one. I feel like it might save a headache, if it's possible of course.

To anyone who has done this sort of thing before.. Any tips, hints, suggestions?

It's a 2000 3.0Flex Fuel 5 speed 4x4.

Thank you!
Scott

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
it takes patience. allot of it to to do that and not mess anything up by yourself.

much easier with one or two other sets of eyes and hands to get it out.

difficulty is pretty much based on location the miles were accumulated in. rustbelt, its gonna suck

shit tons of mud or dirt roads, its gonna suck

if its fairly clean its gonna be easy.

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
you should be able to get both out together you will just need to take the y-pipe completely out and angle it quite a bit and take out condenser and radiator so you dont punch a hole in em otherwise (just stating the obvious) just make sure you disconnect everything you need to or else you will do more work then needed haha

Black2000Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Alright, it is pretty much rust free on the underside, some obvious surface rust, but I've kept it very clean, and my dad and some of his friends will be helping. I just wanted to make sure it was actually possible before I even attempted to do it that way!
Thanks!
Scott

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just pulled the 3.0 engine and transmission out of my 91 in one piece. I left the Y pipe in and didn't have any issues. It might be different for an 2000 though.

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
I just pulled the 3.0 engine and transmission out of my 91 in one piece. I left the Y pipe in and didn't have any issues. It might be different for an 2000 though.
You have much different boy design and layout. His is a unibody on frame cab. You can not un-bolt in fenders and such like an older model.:annoyed:

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You have much different boy design and layout. His is a unibody on frame cab. You can not un-bolt in fenders and such like an older model.:annoyed:
I did not unbolt the fenders or anything body wise except for the hood on mine. I am not sure how much different the newer ones are though.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
yeah they are all uni body to the inners

the older ones are a bit harder, i usually pull the filter and starter first and upper intake on the 2.9's and the mounts right off the frame.

but when doing it alone and the tranny does not have to come out, i find it faster to leave the tranny in

Black2000Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
yeah they are all uni body to the inners

the older ones are a bit harder, i usually pull the filter and starter first and upper intake on the 2.9's and the mounts right off the frame.

but when doing it alone and the tranny does not have to come out, i find it faster to leave the tranny in
Well I'm swapping the transmission too, so I figured I could put a new clutch in between the "new" engine and tranny, bolt them back together, and place them where the old engine and tranny were.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals