• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recalled 8.8 Failures

TwoTrackMind

Reaction score
in my truck mostly, but I do hit the house in Mich
Vehicle Year
1998 et al
Make / Model
Ford/AutoZone
Engine Size
3.0L at best
Transmission
Manual
I swapped to 8.8 rearend about a year ago. The guy I got it from said it was one that a Ford dealer took out of a new (at the time) truck several years earlier due to a recall. Its been working fine (I drive pretty lightly most of the time) but I was wondering if anyone knew just how those failed. Would only the posi break, then acting as an open differential? Would the axle fail to put power to the wheels, but allow you to make it home with the front axle pulling? Or would it completely lunch requiring a tow or helicopter extraction? Ive tried to search for this info here but didnt have alot of luck. Thanks

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I can't say I remember any 8.8's being recalled.....?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
The Torsen LS units had problems, assuming that's what you have.
Here's what happened to C-note's.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well about 4 weeks ago I saw an 8.8” axle, without gears, for sale on e-bay. The starting price was only $50. I was curious and e-mailed the seller and found out that it was a 31 spline axle that had been removed from an FX4. That the guy selling it didn’t live very far from me (under 100 miles) was a definite plus, no shipping charges! With a starting price of only $50, I figured what the heck and put in a bid for it.

Well, I bit my nails waiting the three days for the end of the auction. When it ended I had been the only bidder! I immediately contacted the seller and made arrangements to pick it up the next day. I wanted to get hold of it before he figured out what the heck he had.

I spoke to the seller when I picked it up and found out that he was really a Dodge lover and had nearly a dozen different ones, in various stages of disassembly, around his house. I also found out that even though he worked in a large Ford dealer as a mechanic, he had no idea of the usefulness of this particular axle. When I asked why the axle had been taken out, he told me a tale of Ford having to recall a lot of the FX4’s. It seems that people were taking them off road and blowing up the Torsen diff’s. Imagine that people actually tried to drive their trucks off road, what a concept.

With that little tidbit of information in hand I did some research on the web and found an article about it. It stated that Ford had recalled a little over 1000 of them. And I guess in the usual corporate save a buck effort to save on the labor costs. They just swapped out the entire axle assembly, drum to drum. The one I got from him had, according to him, come from a 2002 truck that had never left the dealers lot before getting the rear replaced. I believed him, the brakes were brand new, heck the emergency brake cables were perfect and the drums still had the black factory paint on them!

While it was essentially a new rear there was a couple of things it needed before I could actually use it. First there were no gears or diff inside, he had removed the diff and gears. The original 4.10 gears were used for a friends truck and he just never bothered to put the Torsen diff back in. But he did give it to me. I think he just wanted to get rid of it. I wanted it to see if it really was a bad one. If it proved to be bad, I figured I could at least use the tone ring off it for whatever I replaced it with. Ford dealers want about $40 for the ring and they were the only source that I could find.

I e-mailed Zexel, the diff’s maker, with the “lot” number on the side of the unit and was told that it was indeed one of the “suspect” units. But they did say if I used it in a car or truck with an automatic transmission it would probably be OK. Probably OK? I didn’t like the sound of that and I have a standard and didn’t want to have to baby it all the time. So I started shopping around for a new LS unit and a set of gears.

I eventually chose to replace it with a Detroit Truetrac, another gear based LS as well as a new set of 3.73 gears. I also picked up a pair of wheel cylinders because the rear had been left outside for some time and the wheel cylinders had not been sealed off. Knowing the affinity of brake fluid for water I figured that they were probably junk at this point, and it would be well worth the replacement cost just for my own peace of mind.
that is a quote out of an article in the trs magazine. its the only thing i have ever heard of these recalled axles. (link)

edit: damn, all those other replies werent there when i started looking for this info... lol

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yep, the Torsen carrier would crack and then shatter like pic'ed above (the recall affected something like half of the 2002 year run of FX4 models. The exclusion of auto trans models from the recall was pretty chickens#!t though IMO. It was still the same axle).

Outside of the Torsen, it's a perfectly good axle. Just swap it out for something else before it grenades and takes out the R&P gears with it (use the Detroit TrueTrac if you want to keep performance similar to the Torsen unit).

TwoTrackMind

Reaction score
in my truck mostly, but I do hit the house in Mich
Vehicle Year
1998 et al
Make / Model
Ford/AutoZone
Engine Size
3.0L at best
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I still have the original Torsen in it. That pretty much answers my question. Thanks. Ill have to ponder on just what to do now...

How are the newer Torsens that replaced the recalled ones doing??

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
AFAIK, they've been fine.

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So is it only the 2002 torsens that had this problem? Was it only in 2002 that they began putting in the torsens?

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
So is it only the 2002 torsens that had this problem? Was it only in 2002 that they began putting in the torsens?
Yes and yes.

Mine was replaced on the recall and I have not had any problems with it. It works very well on and off-road.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals