• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rebuilding M5od

Growl60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I have my transmission out of my truck. The input shaft has a lot of play and from what ive been told here the bearings are shot. Is it possible to rebuild this transmission, and how hard is it? I have another m50d here from a 4.0 motor thats in good shape, but I have the 3.0 motor. I was thinking I could use that transmission for parts. Any suggestions?

tx3nc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Is it rebuildable? Yes. The real question is how much will it cost and is it worth it. The answer to that question comes after disassembly and inspection. Do you have a copy of the factory service manual? If not, I recommend you find one. Ebay is a good source for these. After getting the proper documentation, I would then disassemble the trans and inspect the shafts for any pitting or blueing, the gears for any missing teeth or pitting, and the brass synchro blocking rings for clearance between the ring and gear.

If there is clearance between the brass blocking rings and gears, (maybe someone else here can give a clearance spec) I would not replace the blocking rings. At a minimum I would replace the main roller bearings on the input, output and counter shaft (4 bearings) and the pocket bearing on the input shaft. You will probably also have to replace the plastic scooper that lubricates the pocket bearing. It usually breaks when taken off and it is cheap insurance to replace it.

Disassemble the transmission. Clean all the parts and passages with brake cleaner (or a parts washer if you have it). Check that the synchro hubs for all the gears (3 hubs) all move freely on their shafts. If you previously had a slight crunch going into third gear, you will probably find the 3rd/4th synchro hub is seized on the output shaft and might need to be pressed off. If this is the case, I personally had luck using a little valve lapping compound and a press to lap the hub and shaft so the hub was free to slide back and forth. If the hub won't freely slide, when you reassemble the trans you won't have synch in one of 3rd or 4th. In my case, 3rd wouldn't synch and it ground terribly when trying to engage while rolling.

A hydraulic press is very handy for this job and can be used for other tasks as well. Harbor Freight has a decent one for $200. Or you can take the parts to a machine shop and have them pressed apart and back together. That's up to you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals