• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Sway Bar Upgrade

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I recently swapped my front sway bar with a much thicker one from a 1997 explorer. It's really improved the handling. I would like to do the same for the rear. the ideal would be a one inch bar from a Bronco II. The trouble is that I can't find one in our U Pull yards. The tech section mentions that a swap from an Explorer is possible, but it does not mention how thick these are. Would anyone know? Have any of you tried to do the same?

BTW, mine is a 2003 Ranger Edge which I have lowered 1 inch.
20230511_144317.jpg

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My 96 looks like a one inch but it goes from the left rear and disappears at the differential. I just looked from the back end, didn't go underneath

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
My 96 looks like a one inch but it goes from the left rear and disappears at the differential. I just looked from the back end, didn't go underneath
Oh very good!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I don't know if an Explorer one would work. They mount to the axle differently than the Ranger and Bronco II bars do. And I'm pretty sure the shock placement on the Explorers is different as well. Ranger and Bronco II bars have a bend to wrap around the shock on the passenger side. The Explorer shock mount to the U-Bolt plate under the springs and I think they are both behind the axle instead of the driver side being to the rear and the passenger side being to the front of the axle.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know if an Explorer one would work. They mount to the axle differently than the Ranger and Bronco II bars do. And I'm pretty sure the shock placement on the Explorers is different as well. Ranger and Bronco II bars have a bend to wrap around the shock on the passenger side. The Explorer shock mount to the U-Bolt plate under the springs and I think they are both behind the axle instead of the driver side being to the rear and the passenger side being to the front of the axle.
You might be right. The Tech section had very little to say about the Explorer swap, except to make sure that the Ranger and the Explorer are both the same year. Still it gives me pause.

My hope is that someone here has first hand knowledge.

Last edited:

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@Lefty ,
My Ranger did not come with a rear sway bar. After some searching I found a universal kit through JCWhitney that bolted right on the 87 chassis (nothing like the BII or Explorer style).

It turned out to be a well known aftermarket auto parts brand; if memory serves it is a Smittybiilt. Installed in 1989, still there; the only thing I've ever done was upgrade to red uerathne bushings.

It made a huge difference in road manners, I dare suggest that it may even have contributed to decreased tire wear (based on the ridulous about of miles that set of Pirellis lasted).

Last edited:

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
@Lefty ,
My Ranger did not come with a rear sway bar. After some searching I found a universal kit through JCWhitney that bolted right on the 87 chassis (nothing like the BII or Explorer style).

It turned out to be a well known aftermarket auto parts brand. Installed in 1989, still there; the only thing I've ever done was upgrade to red uerathne bushings.

I made a huge difference in road manners, I dare suggest that it may even have contributed to decreased tire wear (based on the ridulous about of miles the set of Pirellisounted on that truck lasted).
No question about it, sway bars are a valued upgrade, especially when, and if, modifications involve raising the center of gravity. You are probably right about the tires too.

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I love the hell out of them, I've never had a vehicle do that.
Going into town and back I sometimes go around a way that has two 45 degree corners that are pretty steep. It's a 45 mph zone so I usually but not always have someone close behind
I slow for the turn but just going into it I begin accelerating and as I make the turn it's almost on the floor, I love the way it holds the road, like a Corvette.
I check the rear view and they're about a quarter mile behind me but soon enough I'm doing the 45 mile or so limit and they're back on my tail :)

Last edited:

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
A truck is not a sports car, but it can be made into a sports truck, especially the Ranger which weighs almost 500 pounds less than a Mustang. Why not?

Ford tried to make the Rangers as cost competitive as possible. Some components were not very good, just good enough. The fun is that they can be upgraded and easily modified. And should we get new wheels and bigger tires, lift the car somehow, we should also consider those sway bars too.

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What do you mean to consider the sway bars?
Like for an upgrade? I really have no clue exactly what to look for to upgrade mine

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a Hellwig on mine. Easy to install as well. The arms go forward and bolt to brackets t hat mount on existing holes in the frame. The axle bushings and end links were replaced in 2015 with Energy Suspension components bougth from Vato Zone.

Don't go for the Hotchkiss. Bigger in diameter, but hollow.

Here is a link, with a chart that shows just how much strength a hollow bar loses over a solid bar. Outside diameter isn't everything.

00025.JPG
00023.JPG
00024.JPG

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
What do you mean to consider the sway bars?
Like for an upgrade? I really have no clue exactly what to look for to upgrade mine
Yes, I would most certainly consider sway bars as an upgrade, especially with any other modification that raises the center of gravity on the Ranger. Even without, I would look into it. In my opinion, the stock sway bars are good, but feel a little weak at higher speeds. They may not be necessary except in rare situations where the driver needs to swerve or brake hard. Sway bars are also useful in winter when traction is so important.

There are a number of companies which make upgraded sway bars. Hellwig is one. They are rather pricey, maybe $3-$4 hundred each.

Then again there are plenty of used bars from other vehicles which are dirt cheap. I got a junkyard one inch thick front bar from a '97 Explorer (2 WD V8). It was hollow but definitely better than the original. Some Bronco IIs will sometimes have one inch rear sway bars which will fit. The Tech section here suggests that maybe 1" rear sway bars can be swapped from Explorers... As long as the Explorer year matches the Ranger year. I haven't pulled one yet, but I will be out hunting soon.

And do also consider leaf spring clamps. They help reduce sway in the back end, even if you have a sway bar. Note the clamp placed about 6" in front of the axle in the picture below. A pair of clamps is a cheap upgrade, costing less than $20.00 from AutoZone or Summit Racing.

20230629_202005.jpg

Last edited:

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I have a Hellwig on mine. Easy to install as well. The arms go forward and bolt to brackets t hat mount on existing holes in the frame. The axle bushings and end links were replaced in 2015 with Energy Suspension components bougth from Vato Zone.

Don't go for the Hotchkiss. Bigger in diameter, but hollow.

Here is a link, with a chart that shows just how much strength a hollow bar loses over a solid bar. Outside diameter isn't everything.

View attachment 95855View attachment 95856View attachment 95857
Very cool!

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i agree taht sway bars are a great upgrade, too.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Bought my 98 back in 2002. Bigger anti-swaybars were the very first upgrade I did. Was getting ready to move from Commiefornia to Oklahoma. Was towing a rather large trailer with two big old motorcycles on it. Wanted the bigger bars to make the truck more stable while pulling that heavy trailer, especially when encountering cross winds on I-40.

Truck never had a stock rear bar. So yeah, the improvement was notable.

In 2015, I started hearing a clunk in the steering at full lock, or near it. Ended up that two of the end link bushings on each side were totally missing, even though they were new in 2002. So the end links were beating on the lower control arm, making the clunk. I checked the rear ones at the same time, and they were shot as well. Checked the front and rears on my 04 LIGHTNING, and they were all shot as well.

Moral of the story, Check the bushings frequently. They go bad all too soon.

The Energy Suspension replacements have zerk fittings. That's nice!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals