• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Driveshaft Ujoint Q?

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Even though the rear driveline project is months away, I have some questions.

First, what I am looking to do. I have a Chrysler 8.25 rear axle, I got it for free... But it is marginally weaker than a D44, but substantially stronger than the 7.5 in the rear of my 90 Ranger.

Question 1. WHAT is the proper Ujoint for the flange at the axle end of the driveshaft?

Question 2. Since the 8.25 doesn't use a flange, what Ujoint does the XJ driveshaft have?

The parts store websites are confusing in this regard...:annoyed: And the LMC truck catalog doesn't say what U joints the Ranger has.:icon_bounceblue:

I'm also using Tundra springs to mount the axle under the frame. But, thats a summer project...

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've heard that Chrysler's 8.25 rear was a piece of garbage...

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
Depends on the year. Early 8.25" got 27 spline axles, later got 29 spline. Can be converted to disks fairly easily. Most have 1310 style yoke but I'm pretty sure some got flanges.

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine is a 2000 model year, 29 spline, 4.10s and no flange. I'm probably going to just contact Tom Woods for a custom driveline. I've cheaped out everywhere else for this truck, Tom's sort of local and plenty of my local friends swear by Toms shafts...

Again, reasons to run this axle, FREE. Stronger than the 7.5, nearly as strong as a D44. And dirt simple to add disc brakes if I so choose, but the drums on it are bigger than the 7.5 ever dreamed of. And since I need to move the spring perches anyway, might as well put the springs where I want them. As for the Tundra springs, well, FREE, and not hammered like my stockers. And mounting them under the frame will give me some lift so I can ditch the blocks, and SHOULD allow a bit more flex. (We'll see how that goes)

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
Disk brakes from a zj Dana 35 are a bolt on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals