• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear axle swap price?

redrider11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I was wondering how much it typically costs to swap in an explorer axle into a Ranger. I really want to get the disc brakes but had no idea how much the swap would cost. would i need to buy new gears or could I use the ones from my axle? What do i need to change for the disc brakes? What year axles would fit? I have a 2002.
Thanks

merace19

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Have you broke yours yet? If not then dont get in hurry to swap one in. Look around in the U pull it yards and scoop one up cheap. Around here 75 bucks for a 100% complete ready to roll axle to include rotors and calipers and all the lines and flange adapter. Then take your time cutting the perches off and marking the new location. If you cannt weld then take to welder that will do it for ya.

I have swapped 3 of them so far. Nothing to it.

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Lets see: $160 for the 1996 Explorer 8.8, $140 for ring&pinion, $260 for Aussie locker, $200 for new bearings throughout, $100 for perches, shock mounts, U-bolts & plates. So about $1.369 when all said and done.

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Lets see: $160 for the 1996 Explorer 8.8, $140 for ring&pinion, $260 for Aussie locker, $200 for new bearings throughout, $100 for perches, shock mounts, U-bolts & plates. So about $1.369 when all said and done.
:bsflag:
7$ for cutoff wheels
10$ in welding suplys and comsunables
30$ in antiwarp perches
12$ in shock tabs
5$ in spray paint
25$ in oil
20$ in various seals
20$ new u bolts

129$ will get a a good running ford 8.8 plus of course the price of the axle i got mine out of a 93 expo limited slip 3:73 for $30 {junk yard sale}

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
:
129$ will get a a good running ford 8.8
Uh-huh, sure, you-betcha. There's a reason why it is in the junkyard and I don't suppose you've noticed that it is 2009 now - right? So do you suppose something from the 90's might need a little fresh up before trying to get more miles out of it?

Hey do what you want. You'll just keep working on it over and over again.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Uh-huh, sure, you-betcha. There's a reason why it is in the junkyard and I don't suppose you've noticed that it is 2009 now - right? So do you suppose something from the 90's might need a little fresh up before trying to get more miles out of it?

Hey do what you want. You'll just keep working on it over and over again.
I spent 220 total when I did mine. The axle only had 100K on it. If the gears are in good shape there is no reason to replace them, as long as the axle was maintained the gears will last virtually forever. I found my axle with new rotors and pads, new p brake cables and good calipers. I bought, new seals and bearings, new fluid and friction modifier, pbrake shoes and springs, and I made perches with some scrap 2.5 box tubing. I reused the shock mounts from my old axle. And I used a good 10 cut off wheels. and a couple feet of welding wire. The only thing I didnt buy, and wish I would have was new clutch discs for the L/S.

Last edited:

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
100 dollar perches:icon_rofl: are they made of gold? All that stuff can be pulled from the old axle or the donor Exploder or fabbed up form scraps. New bearings can be had for a lot less than 200. I bought my complete axle for 100 bucks. And new gears and a locker are not necessary.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
50 for axle with out brakes
30 for brakes
5 for cut off wheels
10 for my buddy welding on the perches

so i have 95 into my rear axle swap.

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
100 dollar perches:icon_rofl: are they made of gold? All that stuff can be pulled from the old axle or the donor Exploder or fabbed up form scraps. New bearings can be had for a lot less than 200. I bought my complete axle for 100 bucks. And new gears and a locker are not necessary.
Read much?

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4

merace19

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Most 8.8 rears I have seen all the internals where in great shape, even with over 100k miles.\\ If you haven't done one, then you just making stuff up.

Real world, axle 75-200 bucks will get a nice axle with the right gear ratio
25 bucks for new perches at ANY dodge dealer. They keep them in stock for some reason. Or reuse the ones from 8.8. I used a torch and could not reuse them. But did use cutoff wheels on the 1st axle I did and was able to reuse the perches and shock mounts

If you got to pay a welder he will charge about 50 bucks if you got every thing marked and all he has to do is burn them in.

New U joint from Advance is $8.99
Parking brake shoes if you just got too is $23 bucks
pads for the rear $25 for lifetime

oil just get the full synthetic from wally world $17
A tube of sealant GRAY, $4.56 at Autozone

tomahawk350

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
Thank you for helping to support our economy....:headbang:

Totally unnecessary tho, I have 220,000 miles on my original 7.5 in my 89 B2. If it ain't broke....Run it!

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for helping to support our economy....:headbang:

Totally unnecessary tho, I have 220,000 miles on my original 7.5 in my 89 B2. If it ain't broke....Run it!
True. But I didn't do an 8.8 because I was bored. I wanted different gearing and a locker. And I didn't want to put worn out guts back under my truck.

redrider11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys thanks for all the input!
I talked to my grandmother the other day and she sad when she gets a new car I can have the rear axle outa her explorer! FREEBIE:yahoo::icon_hornsup::icon_cheers:
so i'm going to take the leaf springs out to More lift :yahoo:
I dont know how many miles it has on it but i highly doubt it has the same 4.10 gears that are in my truck. So after i swap the gears in (how hard is that, what do you have to do?) will it just bolt right in? What do i have to replace to make the conversion from drum to disc brakes?

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
If it has disc, then you will have figure out how to make the p brake cables work and the brake hose will need to be extended to reach the frame. You will have weld new spring perches to the top of the axle and weld on some shock mounts, and if you swap gears, be sure to get an install kit so you can setup the gears properly (you may want to just take it to a shop and have it done)

-plumcrazy

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals