• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Really need help! Which Tranny?

fender

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a big Q. I had an a4ld, blew it. Then put in a junkyard a4ld then blew that one. So then I put in a C5. And guess what, that one is going out. So I could rebuild the a4ld or the c5 or I could throw in a m5odr1 or a fm146. But it not that easy. I could rebuild the a4ld but I dont really want to spend 2000 grand on a crappy tranny. Or I could rebuild the C5 cheaper and it stronger so its money better spent. But my truck is running on 33'' cooper sst tires and it needs major help turning those tires. Since the c5 is only a 3 speed I cant really regear the truck because im almost 3000 grand on the highway w/3.73s. Could I beef the 2.9 to turn those tires or should I throw in a 302 or a 4.0. I would really prefer to keep the 2.9. My last option would be to throw in a 5 speed cause then I could gear the crap out of the truck with the overdrive. But I dont know how long a used one would last. So im lost, I want a near builtproof transmission that will last me a long long time. But I also need to be able to turn those tires. So which route should I go that is reliable cheapish and not to extreme. I want the ultimate B2, Please help! THX!

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have a big Q. I had an a4ld, blew it. Then put in a junkyard a4ld then blew that one. So then I put in a C5. And guess what, that one is going out. So I could rebuild the a4ld or the c5 or I could throw in a m5odr1 or a fm146. But it not that easy. I could rebuild the a4ld but I dont really want to spend 2000 grand on a crappy tranny. Or I could rebuild the C5 cheaper and it stronger so its money better spent. But my truck is running on 33'' cooper sst tires and it needs major help turning those tires. Since the c5 is only a 3 speed I cant really regear the truck because im almost 3000 grand on the highway w/3.73s. Could I beef the 2.9 to turn those tires or should I throw in a 302 or a 4.0. I would really prefer to keep the 2.9. My last option would be to throw in a 5 speed cause then I could gear the crap out of the truck with the overdrive. But I dont know how long a used one would last. So im lost, I want a near builtproof transmission that will last me a long long time. But I also need to be able to turn those tires. So which route should I go that is reliable cheapish and not to extreme. I want the ultimate B2, Please help! THX!
Bottom line is the 2.9L needs them high RPM's to turn 33's so keep the C5 and turn the R's. I think the high R's on the 2.9L will get better milage than a 4.0 or 5.0 at lower R's. My 89 B2 with 35's run high RPM and still got decent mileage for the road and the dirt. The only thing was you may need a doubler for rock climbing or serious off road stuff. RB

fender

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I could put in a doubler but theres some problems. 1 I dont know how to make a doubler and 2. I think I still need to gear my truck lower like 4.56 or 4.11 but I Dont want to rev that high on the highway. Currently im about 3000 grand @65, thats already high! But the tranny shop told me scince my reverse was sliping then 3rd is slipping so maybe thats why im reving so high and thats why im lacking power. What should I be reving at on the highway @ 65? What do you think?

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The 2.9 likes to rev... 3K isn't turnig this motor fast if I recall.

Hell, the Limas don't start making power until 2500.

The only motor that does ok at low RPMs is a 4.0...2.x, 2.9, 3.0 all like to rev, and running them slower lugs them which KILLS the bearings and your gas milage.

2manyfords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Rebuild the C5 and let the 2.9L Rev at 3000rpm's. It won't hurt it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals