• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rangers with plows

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Will has a plow on his B2.:icon_thumby:
Sure do. These trucks are tough enough in the frame. I use mine to do the church parking lot which is 1/3 acre asphault lot. I also do a number of driveways--mine is 500', two neighbors are 800' each and another is 500' and they are all on steep hills--and I did a friends rental cabin but he stopped renting it in the winter because his customers were having trouble back in there. The B2 is great for those because of it's manueverability. With the heavy Warn hubs on the D35 it hasn't had any axle troubles. You do need to bag the coils because the 500# plow sends the nose into the dirt. The B2 has no trouble with the rear weight like a Ranger would. The only trouble I have is the aluminum wheel on the driver's side working loose. There's a lot of force in there that makes it squirm around. A steel wheel would be much better.

And a plastic snow blade would last me a few minutes at best. Gravel is pretty hard on things. Gravel drives are not flat and catching an edge in a mound would end it's season.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
I know someone is going to laugh at me for this one but it works. I use a 185cc Kawasaki Bayou to plow snow. I had this plow setup laying around from an ATV which I parted out and one day I fabricated a bracket to put it on the Bayou. I went to Harbor Freight and picked up a cheap chinese 2000lb winch for $50 and slapped it on there to lift the plow with. Believe it or not the thing actually works great for clearing the driveway and sidewalks. The thing was so lightweight that when I first installed the plow it wanted to sag almost completely to the ground. I sliced off the upper shock mounts, jacked it up in the air a little and then welded them on there 1.5 inches lower than where they were creating myself a poor man's lift kit! Honestly you don't even need a 4x4 ATV for plowing, just having a set of chains in the rear is enough to get the job done.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have an Arctic Poly plow for the front of my 88 Ranger. I am putting a solid axle under it with leafs. Should be enough to handle the weight of the plow and little abuse that I will put it through.

Last edited:

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I don't need a plow to do my yard. I've got a 6' single screw blower that gets the job done. It takes me almost 3H to do the whole yard depending on how much snow we get.

When it gets this deep it takes alot longer.

Attachments

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
I just had a new meyer plow installed on our work truck.. The old one was stolen. It cost $4200 and the plow weights over 1K. The truck is a 2500HD silverado, and believe me you can feel it on there. It is only a 7.5' model, the hydraulic pump is a lot of the weight. It makes the truck overheat if not angled properly.

And this is on a 2005 model truck equipped to do this job.
how is it that a 7'6'' meyers plow weighs over 1000 pounds , we have a 7'6'' western , that is 12 years old , and it weighs about 700 , and western is a tougher built plow , and how is it that your truck overheats if the plow is not angled right , we plow with an f-150 , and it never overheats

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Honestly you don't even need a 4x4 ATV for plowing, just having a set of chains in the rear is enough to get the job done.
Depends. My neighbor has a 4x4 ATV with a plow and he's out there for hours if there is very much snow. I've pushed 17" with my B2--just get it going and it throws a huge wave of snow off the edge of the blase.

My garden tractor has 23x10.5x12 wheels with 50# weights AND the rear tires are filled with anti-freeze--about 65# of anti-freeze is in each tire. The blade for it, with all the mounts weighs 130#. So its 1,100# without a rider--much more than an ATV. And I chain it. It pushes snow fine but you can't steer. If the snow is wet or very deep it pushes the front of the tractor to the side and you soon find yourself off the driveway and into the yard. On my hill, an ATV won't even go up it with the blade down. Most years, we don't get that. But the years it comes down on us that thing sux. I put a blade on my Bobcat this year. I was using the bucket since I gave up on the garden tractor but decided a blade would be much better.

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
righ now , where i live in western new york , we got like 2 foot in the past 3 days , we are praying that it stops because the piles of snow at our storage , apartments and house are taller than the cab of our truck , we are running out of places to put the snow , our plow will ride up the bank , but only so far , so far in the past 2 days , we lost one pin that holds the plow to the frame , and then today we broke the pivot bolt , this is taking quite the toll on the truck and plow

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's one place a loader works well.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i would never put a plow on a ranger, maybe a bronco II that would only be used for plow duty. i prefer a 3/4 ton truck to plow with. our '77 F250 was a real plowing beast, with a 400, C6, 4.10's and full-time 4wd .it could handle most nything put in front of it. we had a old western plow on it, the kind with the "T" handle control. up until this truck i would never have wanted a automatic in a truck. now, i wouldnt want a plow truck with a std trans. (but otherwise i do still prefer stick) our current farm truck is a '94 F250 with the 351, 3.55's and E4OD. not near the machine the '77 was, does get a bit better on fuel in the summer months, this truck has lockout hubs and a manual transfer case. a plow on the big bronco would help with manuerverbility, but id hate to put that 1/2 ton chassis to that kind of abuse. its hardly a "beater " truck. the '94 F250:

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
If a guy at our shop hadn't just bought a Skidsteer, I was gonna build a rear mount plow for my ranger. I'd link it to the outside of my hitch frame, then use my rear winch to lift it up and down. Then I could back up to our shop doors and dumpsters and keep the yard a lil cleaner.

-andrew

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I've seen them on one or two jeeps.....some folks just wanna ice skate uphill....

Defective

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
We had a western 7'6" on a older jeep cj-7. It plowed alright but it was pretty light. manuverability was the huge bonus. If that thing's tiny frame and springs could handle a plow, an RBV can.

I hope to find a good deal on a beater 2dr explorer to mount a plow to, or resurrect the old scout my dad was going to put a plow on.

Right now we have a 1983 flat bed f-150 with a 300/6 and manual trans with what I think is a Costco Snow Wolf plow. It's winch operated up and down with hand lever for angle. It's lightweight, but it's still steel. I was suprised to see how well I could stack snow with this silly setup. I can't be ramming chit or half hazardly plowing ditches, but i've got stacks taller than the truck and I pushed it far enough into the yard to make room for the rest of the year.

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We had a western 7'6" on a older jeep cj-7. It plowed alright but it was pretty light. manuverability was the huge bonus. If that thing's tiny frame and springs could handle a plow, an RBV can.

I hope to find a good deal on a beater 2dr explorer to mount a plow to, or resurrect the old scout my dad was going to put a plow on.

Right now we have a 1983 flat bed f-150 with a 300/6 and manual trans with what I think is a Costco Snow Wolf plow. It's winch operated up and down with hand lever for angle. It's lightweight, but it's still steel. I was suprised to see how well I could stack snow with this silly setup. I can't be ramming chit or half hazardly plowing ditches, but i've got stacks taller than the truck and I pushed it far enough into the yard to make room for the rest of the year.
my cousin has that same"snowbear" type plow on a dakota and it does verry well. just not the best if you have to change the angle of the plow alot

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals