• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rangers no longer made: What used Ranger to buy?

cpy911

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am planning on buying a Ranger (2WD, Automatic with Extended Cab) sometime down the road.

I was wondering what engine I should be looking for (4.0, 3.0, 2.3) in order to be able to keep it on the road and finding spare parts for it?

In other words, what is the most likely drivetrain and chassis that I should be looking for that I would be able to support, maintain and service years later? Will Ford be supporting these trucks with repair parts or the aftermarket or ???.

Would like to know your thoughts.

Thanks!

merace19

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Any year and motor is good. There are a lot of them on the road and will be piles of them in junk yards. parts for engines are easy to find. Its not like you are wanting a rare car. Even if you could not find something for it, there is always a alternative.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Save yourself some regret in the future. Buy a 4.0 to begin with.

kicsibors

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 ranger 2.5
Transmission
Manual
I recommend against the 4 cylinder models. I have one and have trouble maintaining highway speeds with the darn thing on slight inclines.
Once this engine blows, I'm planning on swapping in a 5.0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
I had a 3.0 and it served well until I could not pull a bush stump out of flower bed. I now have a 5.0 and love every minute of it. It all depends on what it is going to be used for really. I do not recommend a 4 cylinder unless you have flat roads and do a lot of highway driving. The 3.0 is a good combination of fuel economy and power but the 4.0 has more power and you lose some fuel economy.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
I have herd that Ford made some great 3-0-two's & xmsn's that can be maintained for the next 100-200 years.....

(i have also herd that once you go 302..... :yahoo: )

........as soon as my free tree-fiddy wears out--I'm going straight---to a 3 02 )

Last edited:

cpy911

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic

Is the 302 a crate motor? EFI?
These come out of Mustangs?

I have herd that Ford made some great 3-0-two's & xmsn's that can be maintained for the next 100-200 years.....

(i have also herd that once you go 302..... :yahoo: )

........as soon as my free tree-fiddy wears out--I'm going straight---to a 3 02 )

DFracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the most commom motors are the 4 cyl, and the 3.0. the 4.0 is found in only 10% of rangers, BUT it makes up for it by the amount of them in explorers and mustangs. id stay away from the auto transmission no matter what route you go. all the motors are good and bad in their own aspect. all the parts are abundant, i have a wrecking yard 5 miles from my house dedicated to explorers and rangers. so no matter what route you go you hae options, you just have to know what to look for

cpy911

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
AT

I am leaning towards the 3.0 with Automatic. Why Automatic? I live in a hilly area with lots of traffic. I had an old 93 Ranger 2WD 5 speed and shifting gears and dealing with constant stop and go traffic flared up a bad knee with all the clutch action. Had to sell it.

So, for automatic transmissions, are there any to avoid, are they all bad in Rangers??? I do like manual transmissions, for their simplicity and power, but once you dealt with what I dealt with, AT is a necessary evil.

the most commom motors are the 4 cyl, and the 3.0. the 4.0 is found in only 10% of rangers, BUT it makes up for it by the amount of them in explorers and mustangs. id stay away from the auto transmission no matter what route you go. all the motors are good and bad in their own aspect. all the parts are abundant, i have a wrecking yard 5 miles from my house dedicated to explorers and rangers. so no matter what route you go you hae options, you just have to know what to look for

DFracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am leaning towards the 3.0 with Automatic. Why Automatic? I live in a hilly area with lots of traffic. I had an old 93 Ranger 2WD 5 speed and shifting gears and dealing with constant stop and go traffic flared up a bad knee with all the clutch action. Had to sell it.

So, for automatic transmissions, are there any to avoid, are they all bad in Rangers??? I do like manual transmissions, for their simplicity and power, but once you dealt with what I dealt with, AT is a necessary evil.
The 5r55e is not the best transmision ford ever produced, usually doesnt last much longer than 130 or 150k at best. 1st gear has a tendency to blow up under heavy use, and 3rd gear is 2nd gear and over drive put together. but i put mine through some good abuse and it never blew up on me. if your doing alot of highway driving you should be more then fine

Last edited:

fix_or_repair_daily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Chevy,Satu
Engine Size
2.3, 5.7, 1.9
Transmission
Manual
I have a '93 4.0 auto 2wd ext cab Ranger that I inherited when my uncle died. Even though it has 3.08 gears, it runs really good and is decent on gas if I drive it easy. I've been getting 19-21 mpg. I had an '84 2wd std cab 2.3 auto, and it was a total pig. It had absolutely no power, and got about the same (sometimes less) mileage as the 4.0. I've never had a Ranger with a 3.0 so I can't comment on them. If it were me, I'd go with the 4.0.

cpy911

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like 4.0, how about the Trannies on those?

I do like the 4.0L motors, what kind of trannies do they couple with those?

Also, does anyone know what years they started putting 15" rims on the 2wd trucks?

Could I upgrade the tires to 235/75/R15 if the 2WD comes with stock 15" rims? Would I mess up the transmission shift points and speedometer with the bigger tire? I may do a body lift of 3" for the 4X4 style higher ride as well.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
The best answer to your question: Buy the one you like. It all comes down to what you are looking for. Gas mileage isn't so hot with the 4.0 but if you ever need to move something heavy or tow with it you will appreciate it. Manual shift is great if you know how to drive one. I am not sure what an automatic in a Ranger is like as the Ranger I had in Costa Rica and the B4000 I have here are both 5 speeds.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
the 4.0 is found in only 10% of rangers
Where'd you come up with that figure?

At least around here, that is very inaccurate.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals