• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger SVO Hood

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
no problem:icon_cheers:

i like the svo hood project...most people seem reluctant to work in steel on the body when doing mods.it's actually a nice material to work with,but you do need patience.

looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.
Thanx and do appreciate the advice. I will be cutting the louvers off and working on making it fit much better and then reattach it. I understand what your saying, more work now less work later.

Keep the advice coming. This is my first metal project.:beer:

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
OK gwaii, talk to me.

I cut off the louver panel. Another louver panel has been trimmed, adjusted, grinded, it fits nearly perfect (just a little more work to do for perfection).

The SVO scoop has been flanged, so the louver panel fits flush when put into place and there are no gaps.

My question, Is there anything that should be done before the louver panel is welded in place?

Also is there anything I need to do to the area on the scoop that the louver panel sits on before the louver panel is welded into place?

Last edited:

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you may not want to hear this...but the flange is not a good idea.what you want is for the louvered panel to butt up to the edge of the cut on the hood...the idea is that there is only one thickness of steel throughout.

if the louver panel fits close enough you should be able to cut the dropped section of the flange off,leaving just a hole that the louver panel fits into nicely.then the welding can proceed around the perimeter,one tack at a time.

two questions....is that a buildup of filler on the hood?and if so...what was the reason for it's being there.
and,there appears to be an inner panel below the scoop-is this panel removeable to access the backside of the seam?

it's generally best to remove all paint and filler from the panel before getting into a job such as this-even in areas that are far from the actual work being done.it makes it much easier to find out what all needs to be done.

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
The inner panel is the ducting for the hood scoop. The lower panel will be cut off before the scoop is attached to the hood. The ducting will be reattached after the scoop is attached to the hood.

There is no filler on the scoop. It does look like it in the picture, but the scoop is in good shape. There are two minor dings on the scoop but they will be dealt with later.

Again, thank you for the advice. Hopefully I'll work on it this weekend. I'll post progress pics as things get done

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

hopefully this makes sense...it's a crude drawing,but the idea is to eliminate stress fractures by making the complete assembly as much like a single,stamped part as possible.this is particularly important on a hood,as it is subject to virations more than other panels.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What???? 17-degrees?? How do you stand it

It got to 72-degrees today, so I got the hood today. So I have all the parts. The work will get started the week after school starts. This will be a really cool project and we will take our time

My target for finishing is about 2-months, again we will take our time and do it right. I will document (photos) the build and post it when it gets mostly done.
lots and lots of layers, here in ky its 100+ in the summer and between low teens to 30's for much of the winter

its nothing crazy to be 50 one day and 15 the next, the trick is lots of layers! on a cold day i wear nice thermal socks 2 layers of good thermals, a hoody or 2 and a nice carhart jacket...the harder you work ther more layers you lose throughout the day

its looking good

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
We had some really nice weather today and got alot done on the scoop. We did not like the way the louvers fit, so they were cut off, refitted and put back on.

The louvers were clamped on using screws

Then we welded the louver panel to the scoop

We grinded the welds down, put a little primer on it. I will do the body work later, after its attached to the hood.

We cut the hood, cut the scoop, figured out where everything needs to go and decided to call it a day

Last edited:

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I need to say that I've never attempted anything like this before, so here is what I've learned so far.

gwaii is right, fit is everthing. My first attempt at putting on the louver panel was a bad idea, too much body work would have been required to make it look right so it was cut off.

The second time I made the panel fit nearly perfect. And attached it. It should have fit better because the scoop warped slightly. NOT because of heat. The louver panel is made of stronger metal than the scoop, so the scoop conformed to the panel.

Once we realized what was causing the problem, we reshaped the louver panel with some well placed 2 x 4's and some small body hammers. The scoop went back to its natural shape almost immediately.

Gwaii, small sections of flange was left so that I could use screws to hold the panel in place. I'm not a metal worker (I'm a math teacher) so I do not have a lot of different clamps. The screws have been removed and the holes weld shut.

After grinding down the welds, I realize that VERY LITTLE body filler will be needed to finsh the scoop.

I will spend alot more time on fit, before the scoop is welded to the hood.

I've learned a lot so far, this is one really cool project

Last edited:

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can't wait to see the finished project, that thing is gonna be really cool. And you can definately be assured you'll likely never see another one like it!

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
SVO, that looks fantastic! You did a great job making everything fit right. I'm actually a bit jealous. What are your plans for paint on it?

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I can't wait to see the finished project, that thing is gonna be really cool. And you can definately be assured you'll likely never see another one like it!
SVO, that looks fantastic! You did a great job making everything fit right. I'm actually a bit jealous. What are your plans for paint on it?
Thanks

It will be the same color (green) as my truck. My avatar is a small section from an actual picture of my Ranger

Last edited:

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
We got alot done this weekend.

The next update will be two to three weeks from now. I've got alot of stuff I need to do, so the hood project will be on hold for a couple of weeks.

During Spring Break, I hope to finish up the welding and start on putting the SVO ducting back in place. We've accomplished alot so far and we still have alot to do. But we are getting it done

Last edited:

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Looks good man, keep up the good work.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
she's coming along,huh.

i've found the most important tool to have when doing this sort of thing is patience.if you lack that,there's no way it's going to turn out good,regardless of the fancy tools that may be in the box.

good to see it's working out the way you wanted...it'll certainly be one of a kind.

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
she's coming along,huh.

i've found the most important tool to have when doing this sort of thing is patience.
Its coming along and your advice about fit has been the biggest help. We spent all day Saturday making the scoop fit the hood. And it REALLY paid off. Welding the scoop to the hood went super well. Absolutely NO warping.

Again, I've never done metal work like this before, so I've really learned alot.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals