• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ranger problems

danger88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm finishing up the cab swap on my ranger. It's an 87 with a 2.9, manual trans and transfer case. When i took the truck apart and i took the inertia swtich out i hit the reset button on accident. Anyways, it won't start after i got it all together. Is the switch the reason why it won't start?

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm finishing up the cab swap on my ranger. It's an 87 with a 2.9, manual trans and transfer case. When i took the truck apart and i took the inertia swtich out i hit the reset button on accident. Anyways, it won't start after i got it all together. Is the switch the reason why it won't start?
probably not, does it crank? its probably the switch on the clutch

danger88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It cranks over fine, just wont start up.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It cranks over fine, just wont start up.
i suppose it could be in the inertia switch wiring. does it have fuel pressure at all? can you hear the pumps prime? you can unplug the switch and jump the connector to tell if its the switch

danger88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, i can hear the pumps prime, ill have to check the fuel pressure. Can i just put a direct wire into the wiring for the switch?

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yes, i can hear the pumps prime, ill have to check the fuel pressure. Can i just put a direct wire into the wiring for the switch?
thats what i have done, you can use a paper clip for a quick test... but if you have fuel pressure, thats not the problem

danger88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Todays verdict: reset the switch, turned key, heard the pumps prime, no start or fuel pressure. I take it i have a bad switch, anyone know how much these things cost?

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if the pumps are priming ur switch is fine, make sure u have spark before wasting money on a inertia switch

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
So you hear the pumps prime but you've got no pressure? Make damn sure BOTH pumps are good. If the in-tank one is gone then you'll have no gas to the high pressure pump, resulting in no gas and very little or no pressure at the fuel rail.

Try unhooking the fuel line at the regulator, put it in a plastic bottle, and ground the pumps with the key on. You should have quite a bit of fuel coming out.

Make sure you've got enough gas and fuses and stuff are good too, but I'm sure you know that.

danger88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well i worked on the truck today, i noticed my coil was broken so i replaced it and got a new set of spark plugs, added some gas, and rechecked my fusebox. When i turned the key the pumps primed but once again no fuel pressure and no start. So i started looking around, then all of the sudden everything went out. So i'm pretty sure i have a short somewhere, so it's going to take me awhile to figure out where it is. Hopefully i can get it fixed fast and get back to where i was. Talk about aggravating. :pissedoff:

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well i worked on the truck today, i noticed my coil was broken so i replaced it and got a new set of spark plugs, added some gas, and rechecked my fusebox. When i turned the key the pumps primed but once again no fuel pressure and no start. So i started looking around, then all of the sudden everything went out. So i'm pretty sure i have a short somewhere, so it's going to take me awhile to figure out where it is. Hopefully i can get it fixed fast and get back to where i was. Talk about aggravating. :pissedoff:
pay careful attention to the fusible links on the passengers side inner fender

danger88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright, i got my power back due to the ground from the frame to body was not on(never made its way on after the cab swap). Heres where im at now: i have really good spark, lots of fuel, the inertia switch is bypassed. I have no fuel pressure, neither of my pumps are turning on. I hot-wired the low pressure pump in the tank and it turned on. I'm trying to figure out why there is no power going to these. I checked the fusebox once again to find no blown fuses. Am i missing something here? because i didnt mess with any of the harnesses when i did my cab swap. I'm calling for help to anyone that could give me some advice as to what it is. Thanks

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
lots of fuel... but no fuel pressure??? if you dont have power to the fuel pumps, check the power to the fuel pump relay, and the relay its self

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
EDIT: Wait, misread. Check your grounds and relays. You can pull the tops off the relays with a screwdriver. I've found that somehow they fill with water so if there's any corrosion replace them. Do you hear them click when you turn the key?

Also, try grounding the fuel pump test lead on the diagnostic port to somewhere. Both pumps should turn on and run constantly.

Last edited:

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Also, try grounding the fuel pump test lead on the diagnostic port to somewhere. Both pumps should turn on and run constantly.
ive never heard of anything like this... can you explain what and how?? thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals