• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger Marker Lights

Redranger89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L 6cyl
Transmission
Manual
I am going to install the 5 marker lights on my 98 ranger slash. I am real excited to see the out come. I am very sure that it will turn out to be nice looking. But i have never done something like that before.i am not a stranger to vehical work and do most everything to my truck myself. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or had done this before. Maybe there is a shortcut or something that i could do to make sure i do it correct.

thanks, joe

marlow3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
EFI 331
Transmission
Automatic
hmm id like see pics of this done. considered it for mine

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual

i like my lighted visor, no holes in the roof.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

i like my lighted visor, no holes in the roof.
Does it stick on then?

In high school, my ag teacher lost his visor on the interstate (and then the car behind him ran over it) His was even screwed on so he had nice screw holes when it was all said and done.

Redranger89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L 6cyl
Transmission
Manual
I will for sure have pics when i am done. I had looked at those visors but there are expensive and alot of people have them. What i am going to do is rare to see on a ranger and will be unique. i dont mind to drill holes in my roof, i know how to seal them so they dont leak.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
Does it stick on then?
it bolts to the door jams under the seals. the center support is supposed to be stuck to the roof with double sided tape, then screwed down...but i threw the screws away and the tape hasnt failed me yet (the truck has seen 110MPH with the visor installed).

my mom has the same visor on her '00 f-150. when my dad installed the visor he left the screws out of the center supports too. it lasted several years like that but last summer the tape finally came unstuck (larger surface area on the wider truck i suppose). the visor didnt leave the truck, it just fluttered loudly against the roof at any speed over 60MPH.

95RangerAK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the 5 clearance lights look great on rangers. installed them on my 95 and love them. installed them on a buddies 92 and he loves them. they are fairly easy just need the balls to drill into your roof. then you pull your headliner and wire them up. i wired them into a separate switch so i have more control but alot of people just wire them in with the running lights. I would HIGHLY suggest making sure the holes are exactly where you want the lights to be mounted. look them over from every angle and tripple check them to be comepletely positive that is where you want them. my buds far left light is an inch back and it bugs me... haha. good luck.

Last edited:

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
I am going to install the 5 marker lights on my 98 ranger slash. I am real excited to see the out come. I am very sure that it will turn out to be nice looking. But i have never done something like that before.i am not a stranger to vehical work and do most everything to my truck myself. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or had done this before. Maybe there is a shortcut or something that i could do to make sure i do it correct.

thanks, joe
What are you asking for, mechanical or electrical, both or placement ?

Mechanical - buy small enough so the lights will not be offensive; remember they are only marker lights.
The questions are:
1) Where do you put them so the are similar to the larger trucks.
2) Is there some pattern that should be followed ?

Electrical
That depends on how you want them to work ?
On with the parking lights then find the wire that goes to the parking lights and tap in.(Easier to tap in under the hood so run the wire to the engine compartment and probe away to find the wire or start at the headlights and move backwards.

If it was me, I would get some LED markers and add them to the parking light circuit only so they come on with the parking lights and headlights.
LEDs are low amperage draw and will not overload the parking light circuit.
Small LED lights can be attached with adhesive and a very small hole for the wires.

One more thing, Lund has a set of lights that usually go on a Visor and they are LEDs. Pricy but low profile LEDs that are similar to the larger roof lights on the big trucks.
Check out the Lund Site or even one of the web truck accessory stores, (JC Whitney has them thats where I got them).

Luck,

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the DOT approved pattern is 3 center lights with one light on each side, slightly seperate from the center lights:

being that the DOT doesnt require cab marker lights on your truck, you could space them however you think looks best.

my visor uses 5 194 bulbs for illumination. its tapped into the driver side parking light. i also tow regularly with my truck (and my trailer has a lot of extra marker lights, which pull power from the same circuit). i havnt had any problems with overloading of the parking light circuit. leds look cool...but i wouldnt get them for the sole reason of not overloading a circuit.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Redranger89,

Where did you go with this ?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals