• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger light duty towing

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
He is looking to 4 link with air bags for better ride quality more than anything as far as I can tell.

For a street truck looking to haul I wouldn't go with any sort of rod end at all. I would just go with a simple poly bushing at each end of your links. Simple and strong.

DoctorPhate

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hella stiff is what I'm trying to avoid. Fibromyalgia remember.

I'm considering using stock leafs but with air bags as you mentioned and hopefully that with good quality shocks will make the difference.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
In that case I'd just use a traditional rubber bushing, even poly can be a little stiff. Least amount of shock transfer to the frame, that's why OEM's use it.

You can get fiberglass leaf springs for these, and are pretty soft in terms of ride quality. A set of traction bars (for spring wrap), and either a panhard (I've also heard it called a trac-bar when used in the rear) or watts linkage (for extra stability when towing) and you should be in business. Use helper airbags for the heavier loads.

DoctorPhate

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Do you have a link to a company who offers these leaf springs? I'd be interested in seeing them.

I highly doubt I'll really need traction bars since it'll just be towing unless you mean because these leafs tend to wrap a lot easier.

As for the track bar we'll see how the suspension works and if i need it I'll add it in but I highly doubt I'll need it since leafs track the axle on their own thats why track bars are traditionally not needed or even installed. All it ever does is work against the leafs.

Tractorman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, seems like a lot work for something that that I would pull with my 02 Ranger with my "weak" auto.

300 pounds isn't enough tongue weight. Will get a lot of sway that way.

DoctorPhate

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
What would you suggest? 300lbs is without the weight distributing. With I'm not sure.

And its a lot of work because my 97 is a 2.3L and therefore cant tow it. no point in paying insurance on yet another vehicle in the driveway.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Do you have a link to a company who offers these leaf springs? I'd be interested in seeing them.

I highly doubt I'll really need traction bars since it'll just be towing unless you mean because these leafs tend to wrap a lot easier.

As for the track bar we'll see how the suspension works and if i need it I'll add it in but I highly doubt I'll need it since leafs track the axle on their own thats why track bars are traditionally not needed or even installed. All it ever does is work against the leafs.
They're factory on some Rangers, more usually found on Explorers. They are generally figured to wander more, as it is a weaker spring and yes, more prone to wrap. However, it will give a smoother ride.

But as for towing, you want to get rid of at least some of that smoothness (and wandering) and keep the rear axle planted firmly where it's at.

The trac/panhard bar or Watts linkage will eliminate nearly all side to side motion. Very nice for towing. Heavier loads do push these things around. Although, I've never ran the fiberglass leafs, but generally people come along complaining of their "squishyness" and want swap in a traditional steel pack. Also hence the airbag recommendation, to help with a trailer.

Tongue weight is sometimes figured as a percentage of the trailer weight. I've heard 8-10% But there's really much more to it.

The farther the trailers wheels are from the pivot point (hitch) the less sway you'll have. But you can't make it too far because then you have to load the trailer weird, and tongue weights go up reallly fast.

Try to have the center of mass/gravity/etc just a few feet in front of the trailer axles. This will also help it track straighter. And will also add necessary tongue weight.

Since you might be getting close to 7,000 lbs (mud, water, snow, gear, etc) 500-600 tongue weight might not be a bad goal to shoot for, especially with a weight distributing hitch.

Try to get a trailer that will fit the cherokee well since that will be the primary load. And it's not like axles can't be relocated on a trailer. Maybe try planning on loading it backwards, get the COG and axles just a little bit farther back.

Trailer tires do have stiffer sidewalls, and likely will track better. Some say LT tires are fine, I can't actually say yet. I've just replaced my trailer tires with XL load rated 235/75R15's (2,200 lbs per tire, 3,500 lb axles), but I have not towed anything substantial, yet. Supposedly they'll sway more, but again, there's a lot of factors.

And who says 4 bangers can't tow?

(The red trailer is what I just replaced the tires on)
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1116003&postcount=220

Tractorman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The longer the trailer, the more chance for sway, as it will have much more leverage on the truck.

You'll want to have tongue weigh in the 10% range or so. Problem with a Ranger and high amounts of tongue weight is that it drastically reduces the front tire weight and overall balance. A WD will keep the front end down and take some of the load off the rear axle, which doesn't have a very high payload capacity. Look into the Equilizer brand. Had built in sway control that works very well.

If you're going through all this work for it, might as well go with a gooseneck/fifth wheel setup. Pulls like dream, rides way better.

If I were you I would:

8.8 31 spline from an Explorer
Heaviest springs that came on a Ranger
Leave the front end alone
Good WD hitch
Good brake controller (BrakeMax seems like a good one, email them, they will help you get the correct fittings for your Ranger. It works in proportion to pedal pressure, like the built in Ford brake controller on the newer trucks. Prodigy is another good one.)
More power

Of course, with all this work you still won't be legal road wise.

DoctorPhate

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The longer the trailer, the more chance for sway, as it will have much more leverage on the truck.

You'll want to have tongue weigh in the 10% range or so. Problem with a Ranger and high amounts of tongue weight is that it drastically reduces the front tire weight and overall balance. A WD will keep the front end down and take some of the load off the rear axle, which doesn't have a very high payload capacity. Look into the Equilizer brand. Had built in sway control that works very well.
Tongue weight I'm not sure about yet, but from looking at figures it'll probably be around there depending on how i move around the axles. And I already stated an 8.8 will be replacing the craptastic 7.5"
If you're going through all this work for it, might as well go with a gooseneck/fifth wheel setup. Pulls like dream, rides way better.

Goosenecks are over the top for this and un needed. Single vehicle goosenecks are simply pointless in reality.

If I were you I would:

8.8 31 spline from an Explorer Check
Heaviest springs that came on a Ranger trying to figure this out
Leave the front end alone still deciding on what to do here
Good WD hitch check
Good brake controller Check
More power V8 covers this

Of course, with all this work you still won't be legal road wise.
You can very easily walk down to the MTO and have an inspection done and they revise the GVWR for the new setup. Many people do this.

They're factory on some Rangers, more usually found on Explorers. They are generally figured to wander more, as it is a weaker spring and yes, more prone to wrap. However, it will give a smoother ride.

But as for towing, you want to get rid of at least some of that smoothness (and wandering) and keep the rear axle planted firmly where it's at.

The trac/panhard bar or Watts linkage will eliminate nearly all side to side motion. Very nice for towing. Heavier loads do push these things around. Although, I've never ran the fiberglass leafs, but generally people come along complaining of their "squishyness" and want swap in a traditional steel pack. Also hence the airbag recommendation, to help with a trailer.
I see your point here, I'll research my options.

Tongue weight is sometimes figured as a percentage of the trailer weight. I've heard 8-10% But there's really much more to it.
Yeah my comment was more towards I dont have a trailer yet to figure it out so I havent put a whole ton of thought into it.

The farther the trailers wheels are from the pivot point (hitch) the less sway you'll have. But you can't make it too far because then you have to load the trailer weird, and tongue weights go up reallly fast.

Try to have the center of mass/gravity/etc just a few feet in front of the trailer axles. This will also help it track straighter. And will also add necessary tongue weight.

Since you might be getting close to 7,000 lbs (mud, water, snow, gear, etc) 500-600 tongue weight might not be a bad goal to shoot for, especially with a weight distributing hitch.
My 6200lbs figure was based on additional mud, water, fuel etc. Although gear will be kept in the bed.

Try to get a trailer that will fit the cherokee well since that will be the primary load. And it's not like axles can't be relocated on a trailer. Maybe try planning on loading it backwards, get the COG and axles just a little bit farther back.
I have thought about switching it around backwards for this reason.

Trailer tires do have stiffer sidewalls, and likely will track better. Some say LT tires are fine, I can't actually say yet. I've just replaced my trailer tires with XL load rated 235/75R15's (2,200 lbs per tire, 3,500 lb axles), but I have not towed anything substantial, yet. Supposedly they'll sway more, but again, there's a lot of factors.

And who says 4 bangers can't tow?
I'm trying to keep it legal, nobody will give a 4cyl the go ahead to tow my XJ lol.

(The red trailer is what I just replaced the tires on)
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1116003&postcount=220

Tractorman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Gooseneck isn't overkill. You're taking a regular cab, short bed Ranger, and taking it well beyond what an extended cab truck is rated for. A gooseneck drives way better than a bumper pull will. It cuts the sway way down.

Show me a link where you can just go and revise your GVWR. Which still doesn't help you with your GCVWR. The state will sell you any plate, but insurance, state police, ect will go by the stickers on the truck, unless professionally approved, IE limo makers.

DoctorPhate

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Did you read my post at all?

Extended cab, flare side. Reinforced frame and half ton everything basically.

And as you notice I'm from Canada so there are no state police.

And you can go down to the MTO and schedule an appointment for an inspection. They go over everything from brakes to frame and approve a towing capacity. They then issue new stickers and a special plate. It then needs to be inspected every 2 years to maintain that rating.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Gooseneck trailers do pull much nicer than a bumper pull, really cuts down on the # of people that want to borrow them too. They don't have the inchworm effect that a bumper pull trailer does which would help your comfort level.

The problem is, they are kinda hard to come by in a shorter length that doesn't weigh a million pounds. You would probably have to build it yourself or have one custom built.

I would LOVE to have a 18' gooseneck tandam axle car trailer... only hauling a pickup/SUV or a single 6k tractor they would be great.

Explorer springs are heavier than anything that came on a Ranger and are a bolt on swap, dunno if they would be enough though.

I never really understood the big deal on the weight rating being so hard and fast down here. My F-150 has a fairly low rating just because some shortsighted dimwit ordered it with tiny (compared to the gaping wheel wells) P rated tires and high gearing to make up for the donut tires. The trucks that got "decent" gearing also got bigger tires so the final ratio comes out the same. Same brakes, axles, frame and steering as any other F-150 up to the 7700 rated 7 lug trucks. I don't think it is close to lacking in springs either. I don't get why I can't just get heavier rated tires (which I actually have already) and up the rating.

Last edited:

DoctorPhate

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The goosenecks are quite a bit heavier and thats my main concern. and single car goosenecks are just completely ridiculous. When I buy a bigger truck I'll just be buying a two car length gooseneck.

I have been considering selling this truck as much as it pains me. If i dont have a use for the damn thing theres not much point in me keeping it around.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The goosenecks are quite a bit heavier and thats my main concern. and single car goosenecks are just completely ridiculous. When I buy a bigger truck I'll just be buying a two car length gooseneck.
Not as rediculous as a bigger trailer than a person needs.

They pull much nicer than a bumper pull, there is nothing wrong with wanting to combine the manuverability and loadability of a smaller trailer with the pulling advantages of a gooseneck.

We had to interweave the front ends on two narrow front tractors to get them to fit on dad's 26' triple axle gooseneck (+4' beavertail with flip up ramps), not sure how long it would have to be to fit two free and clear on there. A guy wanting to borrow it chickened out after it forced his F-150 tailpipe to the ground empty.

DoctorPhate

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I'd be skipping the F150 and going to F250/350 either V10 if older than 2007 which it most likely will, but 2006+ I'd probably take the 6L

I know what you mean but I feel like a Gooseneck will draw far more attention to my little ranger towing a jeep.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals