• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger lean revisited

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
alright, I know this has been covered a million times. Get a fat girlfriend, its so the rain can roll off the roof, its the weight of the fuel tank+battery+driver, etc.

But this is what doesnt make sense to me: The truck sat level when new right? These things dont come off the assembly line with a lean. So there has to be a cause that I can address. Something is worn, or something is binding.

I just replaced the rear leafs, rear shocks, front springs, front shocks, and the truck still leans to the drivers side, about 1.25" lower than the passenger side (without a driver in it). I'm trying to possibly imagine what else can cause this. Thoughts so far are:

* Body mounts - odds of this being the cause seem slim to me, all of them on the left side would have to be bad... plus the truck bed itself doesnt have "body mounts" to wear out, so if the body mounts were bad I should be able to see a noticable bend or misalignment in the body lines of the truck, which I dont

* sway bars/sway bar bushings/end links - Is it possible that they are old and unlubricated causing binding of the sway bar that keeps one side of the truck lower than the other?

And thats all I got. I can't imagine anything else in the suspension that could possibly cause the lean.

Agree? Disagree? I'm thinking I'll disconnect my sway bars and see how it sits. I'm also considering loosening the leaf spring bolts, bouncing the truck a few times, then retightening with the weight of the truck on the springs.

Any other ideas?

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
mine has lean to it even after i did my SAS and using chevy rear leaves, 3/4 ton springs that is. As to why it still does it im not sure but its something i have just got use to. All rangers i see are like this, even my dads 98 is this way.

I say see how level the frame is compaired to the body and see if they are both the same, if not that should give a good starting point on the body/frames being level and whats leaning.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I recall mine leaned just a little bit when it was new (like ½" or so).

Stick a washer or two under the driverside coil. Problem solved.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Mine has always leaned. Used to not lean so bad when I had stock leafs and a 2" block. But now it leans pretty bad, its a 1.5" difference from side to side.

I need to buy a 1.5" block and go from there to level it out.

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
the weathers been bad so I haven't gotten a chance to wrench under the truck, but I plan to remove the sway bar end links and loosen the bolts on the leaf spring eyes, bounce the truck a few times, and see how it sits. That way I can rule out binding of the sway bars or the possibility that I torqued down the leaf bolts in a way that might contribute to the lean.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
My ’88 /5.0 had a lean backward low on the driver’s side.
Took it to a Spring Shop and they reworked the front left spring and it was level again.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Explain this, my B2 leans to the passenger side. Both front and back.

midtnranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the sam problem, got the front straightened out with washers, but have about 1.5 inch lean in the rear.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my bronco2 leans alot....but i also have axle wrap sitting still lol, for pics lemme know

djdiesel89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005and 1990
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
6.1and 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
Explain this, my B2 leans to the passenger side. Both front and back.
mines leanes passenger side too. i noticed it more after i lifted it. when putting in the new rear springs i noticed someone had put two shims on the passenger side to try and correct it. my plan is to just replace the obvious(bushings,body mounts,etc) its just annoying when i look at it

99 ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
take a leaf spring off and it'll take the lean off the back

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The lean is just typical of American car makers. The don't take weight distribution in to account. Look at how many American vehicles you see with the ass end up high, or down low, due to the gas tank. They didn't realize until recently that you had to use different spring rates at the ends and sometimes all 4 corners to make the car sit and handle properly.

There is a reason Top Gear hates on our stuff. lol

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The lean is just typical of American car makers. The don't take weight distribution in to account. Look at how many American vehicles you see with the ass end up high, or down low, due to the gas tank. They didn't realize until recently that you had to use different spring rates at the ends and sometimes all 4 corners to make the car sit and handle properly.

There is a reason Top Gear hates on our stuff. lol
yup, while we were doing stupid things like causing trucks to lean, toyota and nissan back then were sending all there trucks off the assembly line pre rusted, whats the big deal man

i lean passenger side in the front, and drivers side in the rear, how much they lean is determined by how much they have been torqued over the years, today i discovered i was missing a rivet from my engine crossmember, no grind marks around it or anyhting, as if it had just been torqued out lol

Last edited:

falcon7204

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well, mine's a 1999 4x2, not a 4x4, but I had a pretty serious lean to the left (about 1.5 inches). Discovered the driver's side stabilizer link was busted. (Pretty sloppy design by Ford, too, but that's another subject.) Replaced both L and R stabilizer links, and now the front end doesn't lean as badly (about 1/2" on the left) and the rear end lean has improved as well (used to be 1.5", now it's about 3/4"). I'd replace the rear sway bar links, but I don't have a rear sway bar.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
yup, while we were doing stupid things like causing trucks to lean, toyota and nissan back then were sending all there trucks off the assembly line pre rusted, whats the big deal man

i lean passenger side in the front, and drivers side in the rear, how much they lean is determined by how much they have been torqued over the years, today i discovered i was missing a rivet from my engine crossmember, no grind marks around it or anyhting, as if it had just been torqued out lol
You're gonna hate when you find out the frame rust was because the AMERICAN company that was treating the steel messed up huh?:icon_rofl:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals