• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ranger injectors are not pulsing, fuelpump only works when relay is jumped

liftit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello everyone, long time reader of the forums but need help with my new ranger, its a 2000 3.0 5spd but when i try to use obd2 i get a "no link" reading on my scanner and the fuse is not blown, also the fuel pump doesnt kick in unless i jump the relay, the car will run if i spray gas into the throttle body but wont run even when the fuel rails have pressure, i checked all fuses and swapped the relay multiple times. any help is appreciated

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does the CEL(check engine light) come on when you turn on the key?

This means the computer is powering up and running a self check.

Is the Anti-theft light flashing rapidly?
2000 Ranger 3.0l will have PATS(passive anti-theft system), this system disables fuel injectors and fuel pump if correct PATS key is not used for starting.
PATS keys don't have batteries but can "wear out", if you have another key then try it.
Most Mobile locksmiths will have Ford software and can add 1 or 2 new PATS keys at your location.

If there is no anti-theft light at all then bulb is burned out, and you most likely have a PATS no start issue.

PATS vehicles came new with 2 or 3 PATS keys, each PATS key has a unique "pin" number, called an RF ID, these 2 or 3 key's "pin" numbers are programmed into the computer at the factory.
When you insert the key and turn it on the computer "reads" the "pin" from the key, if it matches a pin number in it's memory then computer turns on fuel pump and fuel injectors, if not then fuel injectors and fuel pump are disabled.

If PATS is not the issue then:

I would check PCM fuse and PCM relay first, PCM = Computer, they are both in engine fuse box
PCM relay should "click" closed when key is turned on
PCM fuse power is then sent to the Computer.

I wouldn't expect spark to work(engine starts when you add fuel) if computer wasn't powering up, so PATS comes to mind again

Not being able to "talk" to computer could mean connector at computer end or computer itself is bad, but it could also be a PATS issue, not sure on that though, i.e. disable regular OBD2 link if PATS is in lock down, so thief can't by-pass PATS easily.

2000 should have computer connector up high near the center of the firewall, on the engine side, computer is inside the cab.
The placement of this connector did cause problems, water could leak in passed hood gasket and get inside the connector.
I would disconnect battery and remove/check this connector.

Last edited:

liftit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Does the CEL(check engine light) come on when you turn on the key?

This means the computer is powering up and running a self check.

Is the Anti-theft light flashing rapidly?
2000 Ranger 3.0l will have PATS(passive anti-theft system), this system disables fuel injectors and fuel pump if correct PATS key is not used for starting.
PATS keys don't have batteries but can "wear out", if you have another key then try it.
Most Mobile locksmiths will have Ford software and can add 1 or 2 new PATS keys at your location.

If there is no anti-theft light at all then bulb is burned out, and you most likely have a PATS no start issue.

PATS vehicles came new with 2 or 3 PATS keys, each PATS key has a unique "pin" number, called an RF ID, these 2 or 3 key's "pin" numbers are programmed into the computer at the factory.
When you insert the key and turn it on the computer "reads" the "pin" from the key, if it matches a pin number in it's memory then computer turns on fuel pump and fuel injectors, if not then fuel injectors and fuel pump are disabled.

If PATS is not the issue then:

I would check PCM fuse and PCM relay first, PCM = Computer, they are both in engine fuse box
PCM relay should "click" closed when key is turned on
PCM fuse power is then sent to the Computer.

I wouldn't expect spark to work(engine starts when you add fuel) if computer wasn't powering up, so PATS comes to mind again

Not being able to "talk" to computer could mean connector at computer end or computer itself is bad, but it could also be a PATS issue, not sure on that though, i.e. disable regular OBD2 link if PATS is in lock down, so thief can't by-pass PATS easily.

2000 should have computer connector up high near the center of the firewall, on the engine side, computer is inside the cab.
The placement of this connector did cause problems, water could leak in passed hood gasket and get inside the connector.
I would disconnect battery and remove/check this connector.
if i leave the key in it for over 3 mins the antitheft light does go away, but at first it bllinks rapidly

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You need a working PATS key, that is why it is not starting.

Yes, the rapid blinking will stop after awhile if you leave the key on, doesn't change anything, PATS is still blocking injectors and fuel pump power.

There is no way to bypass PATS, even temporarily, what good would an anti-theft system be if you could by pass it :)

Some locksmiths can test and read PATS keys, if you bring it in, and they that make you a "clone" PATS key that may or may not work, problem is your key doesn't work, so a "clone" of that key may not work either.

Best bet is to get a mobile locksmith out, one that can add PATS keys, and have him/her add 2 keys, always need a working spare key where PATS is concern, as you know now.

Last edited:

liftit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
You need a working PATS key, that is why it is not starting.

Yes, the rapid blinking will stop after awhile if you leave the key on, doesn't change anything, PATS is still blocking injectors and fuel pump power.

There is no way to bypass PATS, even temporarily, what good would an anti-theft system be if you could by pass it :)

Some locksmiths can test and read PATS keys, if you bring it in, and they that make you a "clone" PATS key that may or may not work, problem is your key doesn't work, so a "clone" of that key may not work either.

Best bet is to get a mobile locksmith out, one that can add PATS keys, and have him/her add 2 keys, always need a working spare key where PATS is concern, as you know now.
ok thanks have one coming wensday

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There is a long shot possibility that there is something wrong with the PATS system.
Your key is OK but the PATS isn't or can't read it correctly.

But if there was no wiring or other work done recently then 99% of the time it is the key that is bad.

I think the computer is OK because you can start the engine by adding fuel manually

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals