• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Random struggle to start.

SimplyTheBess

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys,

I've got a 1998 Ranger, 4Banger with the lovely 2.5L In-line 4 with 8 spark plugs.

230K+ Miles on this thing, I've had it since 2000. We've had our disagreements but I take good care of it.

The Issue:
Started about 2 weeks ago, truck didn't want to start up as well as usually does several times in a row. Usually it starts right up but this was more like the battery was drained/low. However it is not always consistent. Sometimes it starts fine.

What I've done about it:
Replaced the battery, started fine for the first 3 or 5 starts, then back to a slow weak start. Battery tested good. Alternator tested good. Starter tested good. (O'Rielly Auto Parts tester) I would say the starter and alt are 8 years old.

My thoughts:
I'm thinking it's one of the following:
- Alternator is not keeping up with charging the battery
- Bad ground connection somewhere I've checked the starter connections and battery connections

Any ideas? If it was always like this I would believe it was a charging issue but the fact that it is random and mileage between stop/starts does not effect it makes me think it could be something else. (Example, I drive 30 miles to work and home. Sometimes when I leave work it starts fine, sometimes it struggles)

Thanks in advance guys

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You can check the battery of starter cable for voltage drop. I've seen corrosion inside the cable cause problems. I also seen alternators that work at times and then stop working.

nesralyrrej

Ford Technician
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Make it fast, Make it loud.
I would definitely say change the starter solenoid my bronco, ranger, and mustang did the same thing.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
I had that happen when the terminals were loose on the battery post. If you can twist the terminal/cable on the post, it is too loose. It caused intermittent slow cranking, and finally the radio went dead, the wipers stopped wiping and the headlights got dim, and it ran like cr*p. I had no idea. Loose battery cable terminal.

tom

SimplyTheBess

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
Well I know the battery terminals are tight, especially after having replaced the battery. Today it slow cranked out of the driveway but drove fine all the way to my dads. My dad was running behind so I was going to start it again to see how it would start and nothing. No clicking. There is a single slight noise when I first turn the key to crank but it doesn't even attempt to turn over.

So for the moment she's a paperweight, I've got a new starter and starter solenoid waiting for me at the parts store to pick up on my way home and my battery out of the truck on a trickle charger in case it was just dead low from a bad alternator.

Looks like this issue has made itself a priority..:annoyed:

SimplyTheBess

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
Fixed!

Ended up being the starter. I guess on that year/model the solenoid is built on to the starter so I just replaced the whole thing. I guess 230K miles isn't bad for a starter

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Didja take the end plate off the starter to see if the brushes were worn or sticking? They can last a long time, or go at a young age depending on how well maintained the engine is. If the starter has to crank longer, it will wear out quicker. If it has to work in sub-zero temps, or is fed by a weak battery, it will have to pull more amps cold, and will rotate slower with cold and a weak battery. Those things will cause more wear and internal heat.
But 230k ain't bad.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals