• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ram quad cab 4x4 vs dakota quad cab 4x4

EERNGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The 5.4 was drastically changed for '04, completely different heads, vavletrain and intake. It is being fased out by the 6.2 in the Super Duty, I imagine the F-150 will follow in a couple years.
Yep already in the svt Raptor, and will follow on the F150 in the next year to Go after the 6.2 in the sierra. An XT model will be available with 500 hp...sorry i am so excited about that new powerplant i can hardly contain myself :yahoo: lol. Happy st. patty's day! :beer:

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 5.4 was drastically changed for '04, completely different heads, vavletrain and intake. It is being fased out by the 6.2 in the Super Duty, I imagine the F-150 will follow in a couple years.

GM has Ford beat by one measly MPG, big deal.

Dunno what you consider a decent truck, but $45k would almost get you a Platnum F-150.

I didn't buy my truck to drag race, I bought to haul my tractor. It has more than enough power for normal driving. Suppose the 4.7 will keep up with 7k in tow? At any rate a V-8 in a smaller truck SHOULD outrun a bigger heavier truck.

I tow what my truck is rated or slightly above at the speed limit just fine. It does burn a little fuel doing it (lower teens) but I get about the same milage as a diesel empty while it burns cheaper fuel day to day (upper teens hwy). I don't tow my tractor all day every day, so for me it is by far cheaper to run a gas truck.

A diesel is overkill for a 5k trailer, a 4.0 Ranger can be rated for more than that.
ok i must have worded myself wrong, i was in no way trying to compare a 4.7 ram with a new f150 and to be honest if i wanted to tow 7k i wouldn't buy an f150.
if i wanted to be able to pull 7k but didnt have money for a diesel i'd consider it.
however truck for truck the ford wins hands down over gm, however ford is not even trying to compete with chevs prices.

new rangers are 30g's which gets u in a pretty nicely equipped gm. and the 5.3 gets better real milage figures then fords. i know a few new style gm 5.3 owners and they all agree the crew cab 4x4s get 23-24 highway, very close to their epa ratings. ford owners claim 18-19 and chevs have always been faster.
i dont like dodges. i wont buy one without a cummins unless its a dakota and its all i can afford.
also, 45,000 for a frikken half ton? ya frikkin right.
i can buy a 1 year old diesel with all the options and 20,00 miles for 35 grand no way i'd buy a damn half ton for 10 g's more and lose power, milage and towing capacity.
plus the chevs are pretty darn comfy if ya ask me.
however i have a friend who just bought a 2010 harley f250 powerstroke, and said he's never ridden a nicer riding truck, and he's been a die hard chev guy all his life. same as his dad. actually that family is harder on vehicles than anyone i met in my life and their trucks run 300,000 or more k. his dads 07 chev duramax has 370,000km's. its fallin apart but it runs and pulls 30,000 pounds on a daily basis.
he was pullin his 22,000 pound zoomboom with it, and i once saw him drive through 3 feet of snow pulling 16 bails.
tranny was burnin hot but we couldn't stop or it would b stuck and it was like that for like a mile or more.
my point is dont let brand loyalty get in the way of better judgement.
its the downfall of a lot of stupid people.
ps i have nothing against f150s they r beautiful i just feel fords not doing their best

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Like said I don't tow that weight enough to justify spending the extra $10k for a comparable diesel, plus the extra maintenance and expense that goes with a diesel. I only venture roughly 60 miles from home at a time fully loaded, maybe half a dozen times a year. I haul hay and stuff besides that, but it isn't as heavy as my two bigger tractors. BTW that 7k is including the trailer. As far as pulling a car, it didn't know my grandfather's 4x4 S-10 was on the trailer when I hauled it 30 miles into town to fix the brake line, I wouldn't blink at hauling a load like that cross country if I had to.

I looked at Chevy, they were about 3-4k more for a comparable truck, I admit my glance at Dodge was halfhearted... I knew they were gas hogs and wasn't really interested, I have always loved the 94-02ish bodystyle though.

For what I do, I have yet to meet the truck I would trade my F-150 for. It does what I do perfect... and since it is finally paid for I have little interest in starting to make payments again.

Last edited:

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Like said I don't tow that weight enough to justify spending the extra $10k for a comparable diesel, plus the extra maintenance and expense that goes with a diesel. I only venture roughly 60 miles from home at a time fully loaded, maybe half a dozen times a year. I haul hay and stuff besides that, but it isn't as heavy as my two bigger tractors. BTW that 7k is including the trailer. As far as pulling a car, it didn't know my grandfather's 4x4 S-10 was on the trailer when I hauled it 30 miles into town to fix the brake line, I wouldn't blink at hauling a load like that cross country if I had to.

I looked at Chevy, they were about 3-4k more for a comparable truck, I admit my glance at Dodge was halfhearted... I knew they were gas hogs and wasn't really interested, I have always loved the 94-02ish bodystyle though.

For what I do, I have yet to meet the truck I would trade my F-150 for. It does what I do perfect... and since it is finally paid for I have little interest in starting to make payments again.
i see you have an 02.
skipped that part.
and while i agree with most of what your saying,
for anyone who need function over features a diesel is a no brainer.
and towing the f150 5.4s struggle to maintain mid teens while for example the dodges cummins can load 10000 pounds on a trailer and get an easy 20 mpgs.
my family has a 15000 pound 5th wheel (had) and we borrowed a friends 04 cummins stacked boxes intake 4" exhaust pulled it 500 km's with o/d and cruise set at 75 mph and got 22 mpg.
and it drove like a dream. however being a dodge the ac quit and cd player doesn't work but damn that truck can pull and it has 200,000 miles.
that with an auto tranny (built)
but my point is for 33-34k here where trucks r more expensive a low milage one can be had which is like 10k lower than new f150's. not that i wouldn't buy a new f150 just for anyone who does towing often it dont make sense.
i however plan on buying either a 4.6 f150 or a 2007 ranger fx4 level 2
both in my price ranger.
some with a 5.4 fx4 f150 crew but it has high k (174,000 km's or about 109,000 miles)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i see you have an 02.
skipped that part.
and while i agree with most of what your saying,
for anyone who need function over features a diesel is a no brainer.
and towing the f150 5.4s struggle to maintain mid teens while for example the dodges cummins can load 10000 pounds on a trailer and get an easy 20 mpgs.
my family has a 15000 pound 5th wheel (had) and we borrowed a friends 04 cummins stacked boxes intake 4" exhaust pulled it 500 km's with o/d and cruise set at 75 mph and got 22 mpg.
and it drove like a dream. however being a dodge the ac quit and cd player doesn't work but damn that truck can pull and it has 200,000 miles.
that with an auto tranny (built)
but my point is for 33-34k here where trucks r more expensive a low milage one can be had which is like 10k lower than new f150's. not that i wouldn't buy a new f150 just for anyone who does towing often it dont make sense.
i however plan on buying either a 4.6 f150 or a 2007 ranger fx4 level 2
both in my price ranger.
some with a 5.4 fx4 f150 crew but it has high k (174,000 km's or about 109,000 miles)
I never said the F-150 (or a half ton) was the surpreme solution as a tow pig, but for someone who doesn't to a crap ton of weight or every day they make a lot more sense. 5k is not much, like I said technecally you could legally pull that with a Ranger (and it sounds like the OP has been), it would be a cakewalk for a half ton truck.

When I was shopping in '05, a comparable diesel was in the $30k's, mine was just under $20k, with 25k on the clock and decent options but not many frills. It would take a lot of fuel to make up that kind of price difference, and you have more oil at every oil change and crap like that... and if you ever have a problem with a diesel major it is $$ to get it fixed. The extra oil alone probably wouldn't make up the $10-$20 more of fuel I burn a trip (that is cheaper than diesel BTW) vs the milage I would get with a diesel.

BBreidhaupt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
i love that most of this argument is over towing capacity. go to youtube and look up 12 valve gets pulled by ranger. i'll give you a moment.

BBreidhaupt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
ok. now that you're back that is how a ford puts a dodge away. kind of makes the diesel nuts feel bad to i'd think.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok. now that you're back that is how a ford puts a dodge away. kind of makes the diesel nuts feel bad to i'd think.
As evidenced by that video, bumper to bumper pulloffs are a worthless way to measure pulling power. Get a trailer or better yet a pulling sled and see how that works out for you.

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As evidenced by that video, bumper to bumper pulloffs are a worthless way to measure pulling power. Get a trailer or better yet a pulling sled and see how that works out for you.
no kidding. +10
the only people who should b ashamed are people who think that video proves anything. 2w high vs 2w high with level rope the dodge wins cause of weight.
and 85 ranger
i agree a f150 would b fine for someone who doesn't pull often or put on many miles but i rarely see an f150 newer than 1996 with 300,000 clicks still running fine no major work. i dont see many cummins trucks 98-01 with less then 300k and i think it safe to say they were most likely un-rebuilt. now. i havent done the math but over 300,000 k the difference in fuel costs of a 30mpg dodge fullsize (capable of pulling 20,000 pounds) over an f150 with similair miles but at more like 17-20 mpg (drivin conservative) i imagine it vastly outdoes the cost difference. i know drivin a 2.9 v6 5 speed 2wd and gettin measly 16mpg sure dont make me happy.
so i dont see how 18's gonna do when with the extra 200 footpounds and 15mpg can not be worth it. so. if u drive 10,000 miles a year all city and rarely tow ur maybe maybe better off but u sacrifice power and reliability. diesels are so low maintanence. maybe im just a cummins guy. cant wait til ford gets cummins back

BBreidhaupt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
how does it not prove anything. the dodge has 4000 lbs of weight or more on that ranger on top of a clear height advantage, a turned up pump, 4.10's v.s. 3.70's, and a diesel v.s. a v-6 gasser.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have never heard of a fullsize diesel pickup getting 30mpg, 20 is about the best most get around here when they are not pulling anything, reguardless of badge on the grille.

If you don't need to two 30k+, why buy a truck that can? BTW, the DOT will bust your butt if you are pulling that with a mere one ton.

A guy that works with my brother just put in a $13k 6.0 crate in a F-450. That was just for the engine, no diag, extra parts or labor. Warrentee denied it because the aftermarket airfilter was installed, so it was under 100k for that to even be an issue. It was a high pressure oil issue for the injectors, the filter had nothing to do with it.

Sticky VGT's are pretty common too, especially for those people that don't use their 3/4 ton or one ton as a 3/4 ton or one ton. Sometimes you can ustick them, others have to be replaced. It doesn't take too many of them and a F-150 is sold and another mint diesel is on the lot.

They had a riot ungelling trucks this past winter too, we did the same with tractors. Even when it was brutally cold my F-150 cracked off the first time every time without being plugged in.

Modern gas engines will last just as long as a diesel. They have company F-150's come in with well over 200k that have dry oil pans and don't burn a drop of oil. My parts runner here at the shop is a '94 Explorer with a 4.0, 180k miles and it uses no oil, same with dad's '92 GMC with a 350 at 150k. The old '80 F-350 service truck is closing in on 300k but has been beat like a borrowed mule and shows it, the old 400 has come close to outliving the body for the second time which was redone once right after we got it. I have had mine for 5 years and it has 80k, I have only had to change the plugs/boots and the fuel filter, I didn't have to do any of it just routine maintenance.

It is long odds, chances are it will get wrecked or die for some other reason (like rust) before it gets there anyway, the average lifespan for a vehicle is under 10 years and nowhere near 300k miles so it is unlikely you will never see a return on that investment... unless you drive a ton of miles. Dad was looking for a V-10 F-250, they are really pretty hard to find. Tons of Powerstrokes, Cummins and Duramax's out there now that people realize they don't need them.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I have never heard of a fullsize diesel pickup getting 30mpg, 20 is about the best most get around here when they are not pulling anything, reguardless of badge on the grille.
Yeah, 30 is a big stretch though it may be possible with a 4BT...
I can personally attest to my friends 92 Dodge CTD 2wd auto getting 24MPG once, I was in it fillup to fillup and calculated it myself. It typically gets 18-19 mixed and 20-21 freeway. It's got 300k miles on it and still going strong, original tranny too...

A guy that works with my brother just put in a $13k 6.0 crate in a F-450. That was just for the engine, no diag, extra parts or labor. Warrentee denied it because the aftermarket airfilter was installed, so it was under 100k for that to even be an issue. It was a high pressure oil issue for the injectors, the filter had nothing to do with it.
One reason I don't like HEUI injection...

Keep in mind you're talking about buying new, I can buy a 12 valve CTD for 6k, get 20+MPG, and tow a house. IMO buying new doesn't make sense for any vehicle when it comes to cost/benefit ratio. Same with all the tools spending 25K on a new Prius when they could spend a few grand on a used VW TDI, get equal/better mileage and not have huge car payments and an overly complicated POS.

The good ol' 12 valve is still the king. Best reliability, best mileage, easy to work on, great cold starting, easiest to "turn up", the list goes on.

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how does it not prove anything. the dodge has 4000 lbs of weight or more on that ranger on top of a clear height advantage, a turned up pump, 4.10's v.s. 3.70's, and a diesel v.s. a v-6 gasser.
dude the guy was pulling 4 lo vs 2 high that embarassing. if i beat someone in a fight and they were blindfolded and tied up it wouldn't prove anything so i dont see y this proves anything.

If you don't need to two 30k+, why buy a truck that can? BTW, the DOT will bust your butt if you are pulling that with a mere one ton.

Sticky VGT's are pretty common too, especially for those people that don't use their 3/4 ton or one ton as a 3/4 ton or one ton. Sometimes you can ustick them, others have to be replaced. It doesn't take too many of them and a F-150 is sold and another mint diesel is on the lot.

They had a riot ungelling trucks this past winter too, we did the same with tractors. Even when it was brutally cold my F-150 cracked off the first time every time without being plugged in.

Modern gas engines will last just as long as a diesel. They have company F-150's come in with well over 200k that have dry oil pans and don't burn a drop of oil. My parts runner here at the shop is a '94 Explorer with a 4.0, 180k miles and it uses no oil, same with dad's '92 GMC with a 350 at 150k. The old '80 F-350 service truck is closing in on 300k but has been beat like a borrowed mule and shows it, the old 400 has come close to outliving the body for the second time which was redone once right after we got it. I have had mine for 5 years and it has 80k, I have only had to change the plugs/boots and the fuel filter, I didn't have to do any of it just routine maintenance.

It is long odds, chances are it will get wrecked or die for some other reason (like rust) before it gets there anyway, the average lifespan for a vehicle is under 10 years and nowhere near 300k miles so it is unlikely you will never see a return on that investment... unless you drive a ton of miles. Dad was looking for a V-10 F-250, they are really pretty hard to find. Tons of Powerstrokes, Cummins and Duramax's out there now that people realize they don't need them.
are you crazy? i can count on one hand the number of guys i know who have bought diesel and regretted it as an investment.
and 30mpg is a stretch???
guy i know has a crew cab 4wd got a personal best of 36 with 33" TIRES and wwas dyno'ed before other mods at 450hp.
keep in mind these figures were calculated with canadian gallons, (4.5 liters) not us (3.78)
the difference can b substancial.
ie 22 mpg canadian is about 24-25mpg us.
so his average is about 26 highway us (im guessing) with 24v 4wd auto crewcab
and i dont need to bullshit its not my truck.
my truck gets horrible milage
lol
and there was a guy in diesel power a while back with an 1800 horse 3stage nitro twin turbo 12valve reg cab auto who said he's gotten 60mpg drivin like a grandpa but on average gets over 40 so i know its doable.

and the guy who dropped 13 k into a crate???
wtf is wrong with you!?!
13 k can build one heeeelllllof a 6.0 and fix all the problems that cause it to go poof in the first place. plus change left over to help that tranny (oi)
around here 6.0's are plentiful and cheap (running under 2500 bux )
Yeah, 30 is a big stretch though it may be possible with a 4BT...
I can personally attest to my friends 92 Dodge CTD 2wd auto getting 24MPG once, I was in it fillup to fillup and calculated it myself. It typically gets 18-19 mixed and 20-21 freeway. It's got 300k miles on it and still going strong, original tranny too...

One reason I don't like HEUI injection...

Keep in mind you're talking about buying new, I can buy a 12 valve CTD for 6k, get 20+MPG, and tow a house. IMO buying new doesn't make sense for any vehicle when it comes to cost/benefit ratio. Same with all the tools spending 25K on a new Prius when they could spend a few grand on a used VW TDI, get equal/better mileage and not have huge car payments and an overly complicated POS.

The good ol' 12 valve is still the king. Best reliability, best mileage, easy to work on, great cold starting, easiest to "turn up", the list goes on.
i didn't know we were talking new. i dont think anyone with half a brain would ever buy new unless they had too much money.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
i know a few new style gm 5.3 owners and they all agree the crew cab 4x4s get 23-24 highway

LOL! :icon_rofl:

Apparantly you've not yet learned to take anything a Chevy owner tells you about his truck and multiply by 0.5 to get to the truth. :icon_rofl: (Dodge guys have a multiplication factor of 0.25 to 0.33 :icon_thumby: ) You'll learn eventually. :D

My dad had a company truck that was an '08 Z71 crew cab with a 5.3. Man let me tell you, did that thing get awesome mileage or what! :icon_twisted:
It did low double digits on gas and high single digits on E85. His company had several of them but the stupid things cost so much to drive that the company got rid of them and went back to vehicle allowances. :icon_twisted:

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Deisel F-250

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals