• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

radius arm bushing install

bhawk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Just finished installing LH radius arm bushing on my son's 94 ranger 4x4. I thought I'd share my experience for the benefit of others. There are 2 methods to get the bushing off the shaft. The service manual tells you to remove spring, shock, sway bar, tie rod, and loosen axel pivot bolt, then pull axle assembly forward and radius arm will come out of braket. I tried, but couldn't get the axle forward enough. So, plan B.
Removed all bolts holding radius arm bracket to frame and cross member. But 2 rivets remain. I ground the heads off the rivets with my 4 inch grinder, but I could not pound them out. Can't really get a good swing with a hammer under there. Tried air hammer, no go. Here's what works.
Grind head off both rivets. Get chisels between the braket and frame and wack them into the gap. The bracket will pop off fairly easily. Then grind the rivet down flush with the frame. Try and punch the rivets in with hammer, but not likely to go because those rivets were put into the frame and bracket while red hot, and they almost fuse to frame. After rivet if flush to frame, drill center of rivet with say 1\8 inch bit. Go only as deep as the thickness of the frame. Then widen the hole with a 5\16 bit, again going only as deep as the frame or a tad more. Then put a punch into the hole and pound away. Rivet should brake loose easily now. The holes are 12mm wide, so a 7\16 bolt is a bit loose and a 1\2 inch bolt won't fit. But it is very easily to widen the holes to 1\2 inch with your drill. Use grade 8 bolts and install away. I believe the problem with removing the rivets stems from the heat they used to install them, causing them to fuse to the metal and even mushroom out a bit in the gap between the radius arm bracket and frame. Best thing about bolts is it will be so easy next time to replace a bushing.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I believe the problem with removing the rivets stems from the heat they used to install them, causing them to fuse to the metal
don't agree
and even mushroom out a bit in the gap between the radius arm bracket and frame
agree 100%.
Best thing about bolts is it will be so easy next time to replace a bushing.
agree 100%
I also had problems removing some rivets but found after grinding flush to the frame they would pop off with a good hit with a hammer and punch. Whatever works, it's all good [to know different methods].

Richard

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I liked a cutting torch with a scarfing tip as my preferred method....very quick. Then beat out the stumps with a 2lb sledge and punch. I did all the rivets that way. Grinding takes to long IMHO.

patstac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Great ideas bhawk but I'm with legoms on the torch and air hammer. I usually heat them red hot and air hammer with a scarfing tip, then I swap out a punch tip quickly and drive it out. Quick safety thing too is watch out for the flying red hot head of the rivet!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals