• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

RaceRangers Build

RaceRanger97

April 2009 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just kind of a curiosity question that may help out raceranger97. Over here on the east coast dealerships tend to order trucks with steeper gears in the mountains such as 3.55's or 3.73's to compensate for the constant uphill driving whereas the flatland dearlerships out towards the middle/east of the state would have more trucks on the lot with 3.08's and such to keep mileage up because a typical buyer doesn't need the torque multiplication on a flat, straight road. Do they do out west too? My old man used to drive a 99' f-150 with 3.73's and it did awesome towing anything within 1/2 ton limits and did just fine towing a few loads beyond that. He traded it for a new 03' and got it from the flatlands for a killer deal but he didn't realize it came with 3.08's and it was a DOG. So towing happiness could be a simple gear swap away!

PS: Ha here's an embarassing story- I'm following his 99' pulling our 22ft pontoon up the mountain from the lake I'm following in my 98' 150 with 4.6 and 3.55's towing our seadoo. I pull out and drop the hammer to make a pass cause he's driving too slow for my then 16 year old ego, He proceeds to do the same and literally leaves me in the dust..... I miss that 99'
hmm the only variation in gear ratio I have seen is between models not location the vehicle is from. I actually work at a shop that specializes in differentials and am quite aware of the wonders gears can do when towing. Not to mention I can have them installed for a kiiilller price :D .....Thank you for the information!

Last edited:

RaceRanger97

April 2009 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
Hope it helped some i didn't realize it was that long when I wrote it ha. You should hook me up with some 4.10's for my 92' with that killer deal hint, hint lol. Anywayz I read through your thread last night and all i can say is that is one GNARLY truck man. If mine ends up half that nasty I would be stoked!!! Keep the updates coming and good luck finding a 150, I think it'll be perfect for your needs with the right gears.

RaceRanger97

April 2009 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hope it helped some i didn't realize it was that long when I wrote it ha. You should hook me up with some 4.10's for my 92' with that killer deal hint, hint lol. Anywayz I read through your thread last night and all i can say is that is one GNARLY truck man. If mine ends up half that nasty I would be stoked!!! Keep the updates coming and good luck finding a 150, I think it'll be perfect for your needs with the right gears.
thanks alot man! apreciate the info

RaceRanger97

April 2009 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well, today the slave cylinder went out while driving to school. coasted to a taco bell parking lot and got a ride. Out of necessity I went and bought a 01 f150 with a 5.4. I had test drove it a few days ago and decided to get it since the ranger broke and i am way too busy to fix it right now. Anyways I went back 5 hrs later to pick up the ranger with my trailer and it had been towed!! aperantly the parking lot was only a 30 min zone. So now its $400 to get the damn thing back tomorrow. Quite angry because that would have more than paid for the repairs.

anyways here is a pic of the F150:

RangerRocker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sweet ride. My dad had one of those when I was younger. It towed ok, the only thing gas trucks have trouble with are hills. Should definitely work for towing a ranger around. Have fun.

Ranger97XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
well, today the slave cylinder went out while driving to school. coasted to a taco bell parking lot and got a ride. Out of necessity I went and bought a 01 f150 with a 5.4. I had test drove it a few days ago and decided to get it since the ranger broke and i am way too busy to fix it right now. Anyways I went back 5 hrs later to pick up the ranger with my trailer and it had been towed!! aperantly the parking lot was only a 30 min zone. So now its $400 to get the damn thing back tomorrow. Quite angry because that would have more than paid for the repairs.

anyways here is a pic of the F150:
looks like a nice truck :icon_thumby:, i'm sure it'll pull fine, i've had to drag my ranger around with my cousins 97 and it had the 4.6 and it did fine didn;t even break a sweat.

RaceRanger97

April 2009 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks guys, Its def a HUGE difference driving a normal vehicle again..Kinda nice and now I can REALLY get crazy with the ranger.

Went and picked it up from the "tow yard" it was sitting in the muddy back yard of some guys house that owns a tow truck lol. Told him it doesnt drive so he pulled it up front with a quad :eek: Trailered it back to the shop where it will be for a while..gunn start tearing it to pieces for the re-build soon.

swickwake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
we all know tha
Engine Size
4 Point Big O
Transmission
Automatic
wow some story dude new truck looks good. so what are the plans for the ranger.

RaceRanger97

April 2009 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
wow some story dude new truck looks good. so what are the plans for the ranger.
Before june i would like to put the 4.0 in, finish and clean up the cage, mount and plum my cell, finish and install 9", revalve shocks, and build/buy a set of 6+ over beams with new rad arms. Then (assuming it makes it through the summer) I would like to maybe link it. We will see though. :icon_welder:

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
Hey there prerunner feller, clean lookin 150 you got there, sorry to hear about the towing thing. I would be LIVID. Not much you can do now i guess...

Ranger97XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
since your planning on tearing it apart i could just trade you my bone stock 97 2wd standard cab, shortbed. so you know, you could start clean:icon_thumby:

swickwake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
we all know tha
Engine Size
4 Point Big O
Transmission
Automatic
you know chad is selling everything off his truck you could get his 4.0with the c4 and his giant beams. now that would be sick.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals