• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Quick fix for cracked fuel filler neck

Stinker12100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I recently had my fuel cap light come on in my 97 Ranger. I had taken the bed off a while ago to replace my fuel pump and noticed that I had a crack in my neck but it wasn't causing any problems so I let it be. Since I knew it was there i took off my bed and patched it with a bicycle tube patch. I'm not worried about this because of how the neck works. the fuel goes through another tube inside this outside tube. I wasn't about to spend 200 dollars on a new neck now but i will eventually cause it is better but for now this is a quick cheap fix. Hope this helps anyone with this same problem.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Why the hell did you take off the bed to change a fuel filter? I have done mine three times since I have ownd in in July off 99 and it is on my left frame rail and pretty easy to get to.

:icon_confused::icon_confused:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Darn, sorry. I was thinking filter...you said pump. I helped my brother-in-law with his 98 Ranger's fuel pump two years ago and we almost thought about tanking off the bed since the pump is in the gas tank, but we got it out after about an hour of playing with it and loosing the straps. I don't know anybody here with a Ranger that has taken off their bed to get to the fuel pump. They all changed it out with no issues.

napjerk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, I changed my fuel pump by removing the bed. 6 bolts and 20 minutes start to finish.

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
I've always taken the bed off to do fuel pumps on Rangers. It's so easy you would be goofy not to!

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I don't know anybody here with a Ranger that has taken off their bed to get to the fuel pump. They all changed it out with no issues.
Where the hell have you been? Lots of us have done it.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Where the hell have you been? Lots of us have done it.
Never heard of that until now....lol. I think it is odd. I just called one of my buddies a while ago who works at our local Ford dealership and he said he has never done that. He just goes right into the tank by loosing the tank straps and getting it in the right position to remove the fuel pump.

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Never heard of that until now....lol. I think it is odd. I just called one of my buddies a while ago who works at our local Ford dealership and he said he has never done that. He just goes right into the tank by loosing the tank straps and getting it in the right position to remove the fuel pump.
probably becuase their is no room to put the bed when they take it off, where as if you do it at home, you have more room.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
He also has a lift at the dealership. Most of us dont have a lift at home.

I for one would much rather pull the bed to replace the pump. Less dirt gets in your eyes. :icon_thumby:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I didn't even take the bed all the way off. I sat it on the rear bumper and the tires. It gave me roughly 2 feet of room to work with, which was plenty - even for my fat self. I know the factory mud flaps were still attached, and I had them right against the backside of the bumper.

EDIT: This is a member named WisdoM's truck (thanks for the pic heist). But I did the very same thing.

http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85724

Last edited:

JC 97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4" suspension
Tire Size
31x10.5
I think I'll try that.I have one crack in mine at the moment.I did come across one for $50 tho' but a patch is far cheaper.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
There are a few of us who have bought brand new filler pipes from this place, Auto and Art, on Ebay. They are brand new, and about 37 dollars shipped. To me, it's worth 37 dollars to not have to take the bed off again, even though it isn't that tough.

Here's a link to his Ebay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fuel-Gas-Gasoline-Tank-Filler-Neck-Pipe-Hose-Ford-Ranger-Mazda-Pickup-Truck-/330692212806?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model:Ranger&hash=item4cfecab846&vxp=mtr

EDIT: This is the one I got from him:

And my old one, where it leaked:

Last edited:

Stinker12100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There are a few of us who have bought brand new filler pipes from this place, Auto and Art, on Ebay. They are brand new, and about 37 dollars shipped. To me, it's worth 37 dollars to not have to take the bed off again, even though it isn't that tough.

Here's a link to his Ebay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fuel-Gas-Gasoline-Tank-Filler-Neck-Pipe-Hose-Ford-Ranger-Mazda-Pickup-Truck-/330692212806?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model:Ranger&hash=item4cfecab846&vxp=mtr

EDIT: This is the one I got from him:

And my old one, where it leaked:
Yup thats almost exactly what mine looked like. Only difference being I only had one crack.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Replace or another wider section of hose with clamps but then it might not bolt up if it really us 37 shit I'm ordering one mine doesn't leak but resetting the pump every few seconds is a bitch

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did mine recently, and the only thing I can say bad about the cheap eBay filler necks is that the hose clamps are absolutely shitty. They are made from runny cheese and strip if you even look at them.

I reused my OEM hose clamps and all was well.

I didn't even take the box that far off. I removed the 4 forward bolts, and simply loosened the rear two bolts about halfway, then jacked the front of the box up until I had enough clearance, and blocked it in place up on an angle.

Worked great, you could do a fuel pump the same way, and I accomplished it all by myself!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals