• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Quick Dumb Question About Snow Tires

Skyagusta

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
When I bought my Ranger this fall, the guy threw in a set of snow tires for free. I am stationed in Fort Carson CO but I'm from the South so this is the first time I've ever lived in a cold snowy place. I've never dealt with snow tires before.

My question for y'all: Is there any reason that I should keep these tires? I don't go offroading at all. When there's alot of snow on the ground I try to drive as little as possible, and changing out tires every time there is a snowstorm seems like an unnecessary hassel. Any advice would be appreciated.

If there isn't a reason to keep them, I am going to sell them, so if anyone is interested then speak up. I can post the exact size tomorrow.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
What type of tires are they? And the road conditions normally?

I run Winter cat sst's and they are 100% better in the winter time then summer tires or even all terrains. They are studded tires with tons of metal spikes that help with traction on ice and hard pack snow... Not to mention the soft rubber compound and siping gives it a ton more grip! but I live in Alaska so normally its icy and snow pack roads pretty much and even when it looks like asphalt chances are you are scooting around on thin Ice.

I couldn't tell you if you need them or not, I did just fine without them before but they are SO nice now that I have them! As for switching them out... normally you throw them on till winter goes away then swap them back. an extra set of rims really helps.

Heres mine and I love em

Last edited:

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
im from michigan and we get a decent amount of snow here (lake effect), i have a set of snow tires mounted on a set of spare wheels that i put on at the first snow and then take off once spring hits. the benefit of using snow tires is that the rubber compound stays flexible at lower temperatures, they grip better in wet/ snowy conditions, and some have the option to be studded (mine are not). if you can pick up a set of spare wheels (steel or aluminum) to mount them on i think you would become much more confident drving in the snow and you wouldnt have to stay a prisoner to the weather. heres a couple pictures of my wheels and tires (theyre hankook i-pikes and they are gripy like tank tracks!)

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Since you already have them, I would say keep them. Still be better than the all-seasons on it now and CO can get some serious snow.

DavidY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 litre
Transmission
Automatic
Winter tires are good when the temps are below 7 degrees Celsius (45 deg F). So put them on when the temps are 45 deg F or lower. In the spring time when it's above 45 deg F, take them off. Remember to add some weight in the bed for added traction. I typically add about 300 pounds of sand bags....winter last six months here in the North.

Dave

Skyagusta

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
So far this winter (my first here) it has snowed a few times, but I live on post and they do a pretty good job of getting the roads dry quickly. I would say the roads stay dry here at least 85-90% of the time.

The tires are Cooper Weather Master S/T2 225/75R15. They are studded but the studs look rusty. They still have nearly .5 inch of tread (I can't remember if the guy said if they had ever been used or not).

My wife's B-day is coming up and we could use the money, so I think if they aren't absolutely necessary for driving the mile to the PX and commissary and back during nasty weather I'm going to sell them. I would probably get rims for them and keep them normally, but we're really pinching pennies here.

That said, what do y'all think would be a decent asking price? I'll clean them up (they guy must have kept them in his back yard) and try and post some pictures. Like I said, still almost a half inch of tread, but the studs look rusty.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well the studs are steel so they are probably gonna rust on the surface. Depending on how much of a demand there is for them I bet you could get like 200 maybe 300 for them. I got about 700 for 2 sets of tires this season but thats in alaska...

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
Used tires, no matter how good the tread is, you'll be lucky to get $150 for the pair. I just bought two brand new ones for the Jeep* and paid $90 each, mounted and balanced.

*The Jeeper came with 4 Firestone Wintermasters, 2 were in pretty good shape and 2 were worn out from the front end being out of alignment. So I bought 2 more of the same Firestones. They're not the greatest snow tires (my son's Mustang has them too) but they have the advantage of being cheap.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Used tires, no matter how good the tread is, you'll be lucky to get $150 for the pair. I just bought two brand new ones for the Jeep* and paid $90 each, mounted and balanced.

*The Jeeper came with 4 Firestone Wintermasters, 2 were in pretty good shape and 2 were worn out from the front end being out of alignment. So I bought 2 more of the same Firestones. They're not the greatest snow tires (my son's Mustang has them too) but they have the advantage of being cheap.
I sold 2 sets of winter tires for 350 a set... it all just depends on the demand and the intelligence of the buyers... lol

Are you talking about Winterforces?

Skyagusta

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Well the studs are steel so they are probably gonna rust on the surface.
I know they would eventually, just wondering how much that would bring down the price, if any.

It's a set of four.

Not sure... The tires say Winter Masters.

Thanks for your input guys.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I know they would eventually, just wondering how much that would bring down the price, if any.
I would imagine people would be a little less... interested... If you run them for like a week the rust will disappear. then get pics and sell em... but its gonna be alot to mount them lol...

I would still sell them for like IDK 250 or so or 300... always set your price high so people will talk it down to what you actually wanted.

pocket-rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
I sold 2 sets of winter tires for 350 a set... it all just depends on the demand and the intelligence of the buyers... lol

I've got Winterforces on my Ranger and love them. I think I paid around $250 for 4 at Tirerack in South Bend a couple years ago for them.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've got Winterforces on my Ranger and love them. I think I paid around $250 for 4 at Tirerack in South Bend a couple years ago for them.
They must be cheap down there... lol I sold a set of them (pretty well used mind you) up here for 350. I think 235/75/15. The other set was Master craft Glacier Grip 2's 225's practically brand new for 350 as well. and then I bought my SST's for about 460 employee discount.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
I think the 2 older tires say Wintermaster with no Firestone logo and the newer ones say Winterforce on the sidewall with "Firestone" 180 degrees opposite. But they are the same tire.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just put them on and run them till spring. You'll thank yourself.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals