• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Questions on a dana 30 and the swap

Mudstomper99

Law Enforcement
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Alright I have a few questions.
I have found a used 1995 jeep wrangler yj dana 30 front axle. The axle was geared with 4.10s which is what I'm looking to find. Also the axle has new calipers, rotors and pads as well as new steering components with new tie rod ends and a bds steering stabilizer. He also has the same yj leaf springs and I can get the complete set up for 300 is this a good deal?

I have done a search of local cl ads and prices are everywhere so I am just looking for a general price range thanks

Also when I do the swap can I use my steering box out of my 95?
I have everything else understood but the steering and I have searched a few threads and they all seem to have different answers.

I also placed this in my introduction so don't flame me for double posting lol

janderson4010

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
little steep for a d30 in my mind, I got mine for free. I assume they are taking into account the cost of all the parts though huh? my buddy had a 99 explorer and they used 4" lift yj springs on a waggy 44 and it netted like 8" of lift, I assume you will get around 4-5" depending on shackle length. Is this a CAD axle, bk that cad weakens the axle shaft significantly. I don't know a lot about different years of ranger but if you have IFS the rack and pinion steering won't work, if you have ttb I was able to modify the pitman arm and use stock jeep steering.

Mudstomper99

Law Enforcement
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My ranger has the ttb front axle. It needs brakes al new ball joints as well as the axle shaft on the driver side is broken. That's more money then this basically new dana 30. Local junkyards want 3-350 for a used one that's just junked and don't have 410s. I'm supposed to pick it up in the morning if all goes well ill put up a picture of it. Also on your steering do you have any pictures of the setup? Thanks for the help!

janderson4010

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
F I'm a tard, you are doing leaf springs, I'm set up with coils. I have no idea on your application man, my buddy used a steering kit with heims and a full size bronco steering box, he had high steer though. I wonder if you can do a zj knuckle on the passenger side. If the only problem is tie rods the jeep and ranger ones are different, but you can drill out the pitman and get a weld in insert for the jeep or 1 ton taper from goferitoffroad.com

Mudstomper99

Law Enforcement
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok cool I think the best thing for me to do is get it ripped apart and go from there. I really want to keep the most ranger parts as possible.

bIIjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Keep in mind that wrangler axles are low pinion with standard rotation.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals